PDA

View Full Version : What are the best BOOKS or ARTICLES on symptoms?

inCOGnito
10-04-13, 12:49
What are the best BOOKS or ARTICLES on the physiological cause of symptoms?

I've seen the main articles on here (NMP) for symptoms but I was hoping for something more in-depth, advanced, and physiological explanations.

Not the over-simplistic articles that say "this symptom is caused by stress or the flighth-or-fight response"!

joelhall
11-04-13, 15:21
Any general physiology book. Really. I would stay away from clinical literature though and focus on a neurophysiology or general endocrinology text for more in depth information. Having said that fight/flight response isn't very complicated so typing 'adrenaline/epinephrine' into Wikipedia should give you enough info. Especially given the cost of my medical books. I swear the publishers make a killing off students!

inCOGnito
12-04-13, 14:34
Lol yeah some of those books charge an arm and a leg.

I was looking for something more in depth to explain more of the physiological causes of the more vague and strange symptoms

pAULspybeef
12-04-13, 20:23
join www.anxietycentre.com (http://www.anxietycentre.com) for only about a fiver a month. It gives you a really good explanation of every possible symptom and I found it reassuring. You can't copy and paste the text but you can "print screen" and copy into a word document to have with you forever!

joelhall
13-04-13, 14:28
Lol yeah some of those books charge an arm and a leg.

I was looking for something more in depth to explain more of the physiological causes of the more vague and strange symptoms

Like I said, a general physiology book. Many symptoms are the result of interplay between body systems, for example the action of adrenaline release and binding to alpha receptors will affect different systems than binding to beta receptors, and these will vary by cell type again. Understanding this properly will require knowledge of different cellular activities as well as direct endocrine action.

Ross and Wilson, and Costanzo are pretty good general texts.

Pipkin
14-04-13, 09:26
Hi there,

I find the Oxford Textbook of Psychiatry pretty invaluable. The latest edition is quite pricey (£150ish) but you'll find an older one on Amazon Marketplace fairly cheap (there's a 1996 edition on there for less than £3 inc. P&P). There haven't been huge advances in the field you're interested in over the past 10 years so an older edition should be fine.

Pip

dorabella
14-04-13, 21:59
Here's a few of the classics you can try - inexpensive and you can get most second hand for a couple of pounds:

Claire Weeks Self Help for your Nerves (1977)
Claire Weeks More Help for your Nerves (1984)
Claire Weeks Peace from Nervous Suffering ((1972)

-these are all very good on the emotional and physical symptoms of anxiety and the interplay between both. Often called the depressive's Bible. I've been re-reading them for years when I have a bad patch and they never fail to help and re-assure.

Shirley Trickett Coping Successfully with Panic Attacks (1992) - this one is very good on the physical symptoms - first one I ever read when I was at my worst and takes the fear out of it all.

Dinah Bradley Hyperventilation Syndrome. A Handbook for Bad Breathers (1991)- this is a great book on all physical aspects of anxiety and the hidden cause of most things - overbreathing. Quite an eye-opener.

You can get them new at most bookshops or on Amazon, or try a second-hand site like abebooks.com - very good site this one.

Hope this helps.

D

inCOGnito
15-04-13, 16:29
hey sorry i missed the latest replies.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I will look online at some of these and update the thread when i get one!

inCOGnito
12-05-13, 20:45
UPDATE -

I got the Shirley Tricket Book. It doesn't go into a lot of depth but there are bits of it that I like.

I looked at some physiology text books and it gives you good information on physiology, one even had some general information on stress and physiology but nothing specifically on symptoms. Certainly nothing in any depth of detail.

I also got "The neuropsychology of Anxiety" by Gray & McNaughton (2000). Wow. That book is an entire theory on the mechanism behind anxiety. Very interesting. It also sheds light on how drugs affect anxiety, and why there is a lack of efficacy.