PDA

View Full Version : Driving

Animalhugger
10-04-13, 13:00
I was wondering how many of you find it difficult to drive with your panic/anxiety. I have a license but have also been a very nervous driver and have got out of driving wherever possible. I decided to man up today! My mother in law has insured me on her new car and left it for me while she has gone on holiday. My lizard was out of Locusts so i just drove to the nearest reptile shop to get some. This is a big achievement for me!

Magic
10-04-13, 13:23
Well done Animallover:). I have never learned to drive.
I am always extemely nervous in the passenger seat. I am not nervous traveling by
bus though. I don't know how people can drive when having a panic attack,
they must have to stop.It must be very frightening for them.

kittikat
10-04-13, 13:57
First of all, well done, that is a great achievement!! :yesyes:

I am quite a nervous, cautious driver. My issue is that I can drive fairly well within a small comfort zone close to home but I am a nervous wreck once I get past that and I just find it so hard to extend the distance. However, I also see my car as a safety bubble, I am protected to a point, less so than walking alone outside.

I had one of the worst panic attacks ever in the car 15 miles away from home. It was a very scarey experience as I was also on my own at the time. I think that is what done it for me. I find it easier if someone I trust is with me. I had exposure therapy which gave me more confidence but I never managed to get past my comfort zone on my own. I am also a very nervous passenger, something to do with not being in control I think, so I avoid travelling anywhere in the car with anyone I don't trust or feel safe with.

If you take small short trips little and often, your confidence will grow and the more you drive the easier it should become. I wish you the best of luck!

Kitti :)

Rachy-Rach
10-04-13, 14:04
Firstly! WELL DONE! That's awesome!

Confidence comes with experience when it comes to driving so just take yourself out for a little bit every day and take your time over it.

The biggest problem with driving are the over confident people... I have been one of these but a couple of near misses have taught me some valuable lessons

The only problem I had with driving was when my anxiety was really bad before I went on medication, I used to think I'd knocked people down without realising it. It's so scary how your mind can trick you like that! I'd literally turn my car round to check - like you wouldn't know!! To this day I still think I have sometimes and I'm actually a pretty good driver - never had a crash in 10 years...

Hopefully eventually you'll learn to enjoy it. Driving it one thing you are in total control of - and that's a good thing!

---------- Post added at 14:04 ---------- Previous post was at 14:02 ----------

Hope your lizard appreciated it!

Snoodlester
10-04-13, 19:16
I can only repeat what the others have said - Well Done! I can completely relate to Kitti - I have a small area where I can drive, and only on certain roads within that area, and I can only travel with people I feel safe with - I can't go on buses, trains or planes at the moment (don't want to say any more, as I'd like to kick this darn thing).

I've been reading http://ct-online-info.com/ which I've discovered since joining NMP. It's definitely helping with my travelling with other people, but I've just to put it into practice when I'm the driver. I find it very daunting getting stuck in traffic, or driving along dual carriageways, but it seems if you do what scares you little and often it can only get better.

Good luck with it,
Sue x

Edie
11-04-13, 00:12
Well done :)

I got some driving lessons after an accident knocked my confidence, though I'd never really been that confident a driver before that. If you've not driven for a while you might find it helpful to have a couple of lessons. My instructor told me it was very common.