PDA

View Full Version : Intrusive Thoughts

Pathway
10-04-13, 16:02
Hello,

I'm sure if this is an anxiety thing or an OCD thing, but I wonder if anyone has experienced anything similar?

Sometimes I have these violent intrusive thoughts which just come into my head for no reason. They tend to go away on their own, and can be gone for months and then resurface again. The thoughts are about my body being hurt, sort of by itself, like in a horror film. Sometimes I feel real pain from it (not bad pain, but it's still there).

Any help would be appreciated.

Pathway.

chicaplatense1
10-04-13, 17:07
Yes, I get that. I know exactly what you are talking about and it can be really distressing to feel that way. Just know that you are not alone and it is just another symptom of anxiety. In the past I have gotten those "horror film" images in my head about my body being hurt. I found that if I replace the image with something similar but positive it helps me. For instance, if I picture my chest being hurt (I don't want to be too graphic) I replace it with a warm hand giving me a massage instead.... I also find that many of these images are memories from movies or things that I had forgotten about and that slip on my head unexpectedly, so I also tell myself that it is a memory. If I think about where the image came from, sometimes I can eventually pint point to its origin....
I have asked my therapist if I have OCD but they have told me that I don't. My Psychologist told me that when under high stress people tend to think obsessibly and have intrusive thoughts. It is an obsession and you can eventually overcome but it is not truly OCD, just part of your Anxiety/Panic/High Stress. I know people who do not have Anxiety Disorder but also get those intrusive thoughts/images when under high stress. My sister in law does, my husband does and some of my friends. They are just not bothered by these whereas we are.

Pathway
12-04-13, 18:38
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I think I do have a little bit of OCD, but Anxiety is the main problem. When the anxiety gets high, it sets the OCD off.

That sounds like good advice about picturing something else when the intrusive thought comes into your head.

It's a shame that we find these thoughts so hard to deal with compared to other people, but I guess we just have to try and overcome it. :)

yza
25-04-13, 05:34
Hi guys. :)

I feel the same way. Bothered by intrusive thoughts and eventually scared of the horrific scenes that run through my head. It bothers me too that I have these thoughts because I never really had any bad or scary experiences in my life. Even morbid news bother me these days... How do you cope with these things?