PDA

View Full Version : Used a sinus rinse and now scared of brain eating amoeba

Nighttime pacer
10-04-13, 16:59
Hi all
I've had a sinus infection and a sinus rinse was recommended by an ent guy. It says you have to use boiled water. I've been boiling a kettle and letting it cool and using it.
There is a problem that people have died after using a sinus rinse using tap water because of brain eating amoeba in it.
The official sites say you have to boil the water for 3-5 mins.
The instructions didn't say that. I just used the kettle which only boils it for about 30 secs.
99% of people who get infected with this amoeba die in 2 weeks.
I'm so scared!
Any help anyone?
Nighttime pacer

Pipkin
10-04-13, 18:23
I really don't think you have anything to worry about. UK tap water is highly treated and the chances of there being amoeba in the water in the UK, even before boiling it, are minuscule.

Are you getting help for your anxiety?

Pip

mikewales
10-04-13, 18:37
There aren't any brain eating amoeba in this country, if you need to boil the water for a few minutes, do it in a saucepan and it will be fine

LauraJF
13-04-13, 06:05
That was my first thought this morning when I woke up with a sinus problem. I haven't had a sinus problem in years. I usually put some salt water up my nose and then I can breathe but then I remembered about the brain eating amoebas and I didn't bother. I don't think it would happen this time of the year though, I've heard it only becomes a problem in warm water in late Summer.

Hi all
I've had a sinus infection and a sinus rinse was recommended by an ent guy. It says you have to use boiled water. I've been boiling a kettle and letting it cool and using it.
There is a problem that people have died after using a sinus rinse using tap water because of brain eating amoeba in it.
The official sites say you have to boil the water for 3-5 mins.
The instructions didn't say that. I just used the kettle which only boils it for about 30 secs.
99% of people who get infected with this amoeba die in 2 weeks.
I'm so scared!
Any help anyone?
Nighttime pacer