PDA

View Full Version : Health professionals

Ats666
10-04-13, 22:55
Are there anymore health professionals in this forum who are struggling with health anxiety? I have worked so hard to get to where I am professionally today, but am now on the verge of walking away from it all due to my health anxiety. My HA is being triggered by situations at work, I really don't know what to do :weep:

clio51
10-04-13, 23:58
Don't walk away,you've worked to hard to get where you are.

Why not take some time off? Have you got any help for your problem, maybe a chat with your gp.

butterfly00
11-04-13, 00:19
What kind of work do you do? I am training in a medical feild and find some topics to be triggers for my anxiety. I had to drop out of medical school when I was younger and regret it alot sometimes but then I think would I have been battling everyday to cope. Its a tough decision, dont make it without lots of thought and input maybe from a counsellor. I had a therapist once who had anxiety issues, she overcame them and it gave an insight into treating her patients.

Lilharry
11-04-13, 00:25
as well as getting counselling, how about talking to the other health professionals around you - preferable older, wiser ones. Get yourself a support team - I'm sure people would love to support you and get you through this. It would be such a shame to have to leave, especially if it's a career you love. Maybe this could be the start of something where you take your career into the field of anxiety and help other people. It would be amazing to have more people who have suffered from this in the medical field.

Ats666
11-04-13, 08:37
I have been a mental health nurse for 12 years, but I went back to university in 2011 to train as an adult nurse, I qualify again in august but I am so close to giving up :unsure:

Lilharry
11-04-13, 08:52
Sorry, I don't know why I said "older and wiser"! For some reason I assumed you were just starting out, but on reflection it was a dumb thing to say!

It would be such a shame to give up. I think counselling could help you get through it.

Ats666
11-04-13, 09:27
I am awaiting CBT, was assessed for it in December, but I still have approx 7 weeks to wait. I'm 35 and have had HA since about 7 years of age, but managed to keep it under control for about 15 years x

blueangel
11-04-13, 09:46
I can appreciate what you mean - I've worked in the NHS for 23 years (not in a patient-facing role though) and I don't like hospitals! I can certainly understand that some situations are going to be triggers for you. However, don't forget that whether or not you qualify for general nursing, you could always go back to working in mental health if you feel "safer" in that environment.

From my own point of view, I've done CBT and really found it to be a lifesaver, so hang on in there.