PDA

View Full Version : Colonoscopy booked - scared!

Lilharry
10-04-13, 23:10
I'm freaking out. I have just booked a colonoscopy privately, because the wait on the public list was going to be too long, but now I'm regretting it! It's next week! Freaking out, but trying really hard to put it one side. I'm most scared about being sedated while it's happening. I really really don't like the thought of being out of control like that. I actually wish I could just be put under anaesthetic. I'm also really worried they will find cancer and it's too far gone to be treated. Wish I didn't have to go through this, but I know it's for the best. :(

nomorepanic
10-04-13, 23:22
Hi

You don't have to have sedation - I never do.

Lilharry
10-04-13, 23:39
Really? I didn't have it when I had the gastroscopy, but that was over and done with quickly. Is it painful?

nomorepanic
10-04-13, 23:44
It is for me because I have crohn's disease and diverticular disease but lots of people tolerate it without sedation.

Have a read of the posts in this sub-forum and you will see other people got on fine with it

Lilharry
10-04-13, 23:51
Ok, that's great to know, thank you. I will ask the hospital what they think. Thanks!

nomorepanic
10-04-13, 23:53
You could ask for mild sedation and not a full dose or try it without and see how you get on

Lilharry
11-04-13, 00:57
Have just been reading previous threads and without sedation doesn't sound pleasant! I'm really nervous about the sedation, but maybe I will just let them advise me what is best for once and just go with it. It can't be that bad.

nomorepanic
11-04-13, 01:03
I guess it depends on your pain threshold and whether you can cope with that for 20 minutes or have the sedation.

I decided to cope with the pain as sedation freaks me out lol

Lilharry
11-04-13, 02:55
Yes, it's the sedation I'm most worried about, but seeing as I'm trying to confront my fears, maybe it would be good for me to do it and see what happens. I was fine with the gastroscopy without sedation, but it was very unpleasant when they pumped the air i and got quite panicky. I will talk to the nurse today and see what she/he says.

---------- Post added at 13:55 ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 ----------

Just spoke to the nicest nurse in the world. Said I could ring as much as I wanted if I was anxious and that the drugs are nothing to worry about - just said I'd feel like I'd had a few drinks without the hangover and that they're so safe they give them to children and I'll just feel nice and sleepy and relaxed. They won't give me anything if I don't want it - I just have to tell them what I want. And she said whatever they find they can deal with and not to worry. Even if it is cancer, which she highly doubts, they can just chop it out and I should be fine. Feeling much more relaxed!

zippy
11-04-13, 16:13
I had both without sedation. It didnt hurt me at all and it was over quickly.

Annie0904
11-04-13, 16:26
I had sedation and it was no problem, just made me nice and relaxed after, didn't remember anything until they were giving me tea and toast. It is very mild sedation so doesn't leave you feeling sick or groggy.

Kells81
11-04-13, 17:12
I get sedated when I have my teeth done-I love it!! It is just like having a nice sleep!

Lilharry
12-04-13, 07:50
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to go for the sedation and face my fears. What's the worst that can happen right?

Annie0904
12-04-13, 09:42
You will be fine, like Kelly said, it is just like having a nice sleep.

maximus1975
12-04-13, 15:26
as above the build up is a bit nervy but once your sedated its all good x

Lilharry
19-05-13, 05:11
As I mentioned in my other post, I have now had the colonoscopy and unfortunately things didn't quite go to plan. The sedation was fine though, so I have lost my fear about that. They weren't able to get all the way around, due to my twisty bowel and the pain it was causing, so I had to go back for a second colonoscopy under general anesthetic. I was absolutely terrified of the anesthetic, but I am pleased to say that it went fantastically well! I now love anesthetic! You wake up and it's all over and you don't remember a thing. Perfect.

So first time around they found two huge polyps that they removed. They were sent away for testing and had low grade abnormalities, so it's great that I had the procedure and got them out. Second time around they removed a bit more from the area where they found the first ones but found nothing further, so I think I'm all clear now. Felt a huge sense of relief afterwards and wouldn't hestitate to recommend anesthetic for the procedure. I will need to go back for regular colonoscopies and will have anesthetic from now on. I don't want to frighten anyone about the pain - it was only because of my twisty bowel.