PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and stress with Meeting People

Barry Daniel
20-09-06, 14:29
Hi All

I have been in pressured sales job now for 9 years and have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks for 5 years. In recent times this is becoming worse and would love to hear from someone that has experienced the same type of thing. I have tried to deal with this myself (stubborn male!) and never wanted to gain any help as I thought I was the only one!

This is a great website which is now on my favorites!!!

Barry

manmoor
20-09-06, 15:11
Hi Barry,

A big warm welcome to you. You are not alone and have come to the right place. We are all here to help each other so we dont feel alone.

Take Care

Mandyxx

Barry Daniel
20-09-06, 15:17
Hi Mandy

Many thanks for the warm responce. I didnt realise websites like this could make me feel so much better in myself and this is a delight to see.

Once again, many thanks

Barry

kazzie
20-09-06, 15:21
A BIG WARM WELCOME TO YOU BARRY!!!!!!

LUV KAZ X

Barry Daniel
20-09-06, 15:41
Hi Kaz

Many thanks for the warm welcome.

Barry

kate H
20-09-06, 15:42
Hi Barry,

Welcome to the site. I can relate to this as i too am in sales and have been for about 6 years. I think to be honest its one of the worst jobs we can be in!!! I had to leave my job in the end and although i am still in sales my job is a lot less pressured. Im now an advertising exec for a newspaper.

Changing my job had helped my anxiety a great deal.

Glad u have found the site u will get loads of help on here. But if u feel you are finding it hard to cope its always worth asking for a bit of help or going to see you GP for some advise, mine was great.

Once again, Welcome

****You can never get rid of the butterflies, but you can teach them to fly in formation ****

Barry Daniel
20-09-06, 16:14
Hi Kate

Many thanks for the warm welcome (can't belive the responce in just a couple of hours!)

Sales as you know is an extremly tough and hostile arena. Trouble is I'm in management to and have a whole sales team to guide and advise. Would love to change jobs and do something mind numbingly boring and less stressful however I have a family to support which makes the financial side a real challenge!

I have to believe that this is a glitch...um a temporary hold up in lifes challenges but at this time I'm a way off reaching the end of this hold up[V]

But with ppl like you guys and gals to chat to things are on the up!

Once again.......many thanks

Barry

yorkylover
20-09-06, 16:53
Hi Barry,you will find great advice here,and will make lots of friends.Dont be afraid to get help,you will see on here what help is available out there.
take care;)

Ellen XX

susie
20-09-06, 16:54
big welcome barry you have come to the right place sue

alicia123
20-09-06, 16:56
Welcome Barry,

I used to be in sales a few years ago, so I know where you are coming from - a target driven environment is not good for anxiety. You sound like an ideal candidate for the Stress Survival Kit (see link) which was what helped me so much and still helps me when I need to use it. No panics or anxiety now for 7 months!

Yep, it is just a glitch, but you have to actively retune your brain before you can get over it:D

alicia

This helped me (so I don't go on about it!):
www.alphadynamics.com

Barry Daniel
20-09-06, 18:30
Thank you Alicia. xxx

polly daydream
20-09-06, 18:50
Hi and welcome to the forum, as you can see you are defo not the only one.

Best wishes,

Polly

Barry Daniel
20-09-06, 18:53
Thank you polly.

juju
20-09-06, 20:51
hi barry,
i too have worked in sales, you can take it a bit personal off the customers sometimes (doesnt help your confidence) remember its not you. its only a blip you will soon be back to normal
take care
julie

we are all stronger people after having this

sgp64
20-09-06, 21:54
Hi Barry. I'm new here but recognise that, like you, my job may have something to do with my panic attacks. I'm not in sales (I work in Social Care) but probably like yourself I find it very difficult to relax and leave it all behind. My panic attacks are only recent but I think I've been suffering from anxiety since I was a teenager tbh and have always just bluffed my way along.

I think this place may help us deal with it better...there's far too many good people around for it not to! Nice to meet you anyway and feel free to pm me if you wanna[8D]

Lenny
21-09-06, 07:18
I work in Finance am having difficulty turning up to meetings due to panis attacks in fact turning up to work at all is scary. All I can say is that with relaxation techniques etc it does get better. I am starting CBT in 2 weeks which everyone says is the best thing for it so I am going to give that a shot! There is nothing to lose. I think the thing is to address the panic that you have anxiety or panic and then face it head on. Fear feeds off fear or so they tell me so if you challenge it it has to stop!