PDA

View Full Version : singing for distracting thoughts

hopeful
20-09-06, 14:51
Hope this does'nt sound stupid,here goes.

Yesterday when I was very anxious due to brain overload I started to sing to myself,I sang 'when your smiling' and 'happiness'. Ifound it a great way to divert my thoughts.Hope it works for others,give it a try.

juliex

Piglet
20-09-06, 14:54
Julie that's a super idea - although I have been banned from doing this when family members are around I do do it regularly when they are all out!! [}:)]:D:D:D

Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

hopeful
20-09-06, 15:04
Thanks piglet

I sang it in my head not out loud but it still worked.Im going to try it again when the family come home and start bickering!!! lol

julie x

surreylady
20-09-06, 15:50
I must admit if im anxious I put on some music and sing along, it distracts me and it cheers me up, great tip!!! :D

mandy xxx

positive attitude brings positive results

clickaway
20-09-06, 15:58
I agree with the singing in your mind bit. Even though there is no-one else to hear me, I wouldn't want to hear my own tones.

I'd also be choosy about the songs. Didn't Ken Dodd sing 'Happiness' ? Arrrrgggghh!!

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

angie3077
20-09-06, 16:54
Hi Julie,

I used to do this regularly when I worked at a hotel cleaning the guest rooms, my colleagues thought I was stark raving mad but hey - it helped me no end and I would do it again anytime! lol, I think anything that helps us deal with our mad thoughts/anxiety is worth doing, however silly we might look - or in my case sound!! lol [:I]

Angie

freakle
21-09-06, 20:49
Yeah, i've just thought about doing that too, think i might buy a walkman so i have something to sing along to!

Zoe x

To be pushed is unwillingness, to push yourself is courage

Lyndsey
02-11-06, 18:15
I have to say it works! I do this all the time!:)

I am so glad to have someone to talk to who goes through the same thigns I do.

Allie
03-11-06, 14:16
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote"> Didn't Ken Dodd sing 'Happiness' ?
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Now thats an anxiety provoking thought! AGGGGGGHHH!

THE VOICE INSIDE YOUR HEAD IS NOT THE VOICE OF GOD. IT JUST SOUNDS LIKE IT THINKS IT IS! Cheri Huber

jill
03-11-06, 15:28
Hi Hopeful :D

Its NOT stupid at all.

I have not had a pa in a long time, but. I have been under alot of stress lately, so I know were my high anxiety came from and why it happend at that time and place.

Singing does work, it stopped me from hittimg full blown panic.

I went away for 1 week in August to Greece, ohhh lucky me [8D] this was the time when you were NOT allowed to take anything on the plane, not even a paracetamol [:P]

I was boarding the plane, you know when you are waiting in the tunnel while the flight attedance checks your tickets. When WHAM, Grrrr high anxiety. I have always numbered my pa's, anxiety 1 being normal, 10 being full blown panic. I found that for me, making the attack less important helps me, so I number this a mmmm 7. The symptoms I was getting at that time was fear, just fear. I was soooooo scared. I had nothing on me to distarct me. I new full well if I did not distract myself the whats if's would jump in, ohhhhh they were jumping in. I felt soooo scared.

The only song I could think of at that time was, 99 bottles of bear on the wall, 99 bottle of bear, take one down pass it around 98 bottles of bear on the wall. 98 bottles of bear on the wall 98 bottles of bear, take one down pass it around 97 bottles of bear on the wall and so on and so on.

My thoughts went to, oh, if I drink all these bears I's going to be sooo drunk [:P][:P][:P] LOL

It did work, it stopped all the what if's running around my head and I calmed down.

Hehe, I must say though, try and prepare your songs before hand, at one point I began to sing it outloud and the fligh attendent look at me as if I'd lost the plot LOL hay, who cares. I never LOL

Had a great hol.

Singing does work [^]:D

Good advice Julie :D

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

worrywuss
23-12-06, 09:09
i find singing and music great for taking my mind off anxiety [^]
at the moment the song i like is 'no worries' ( lol! ) by simon webbee, it really makes me alot happier whenever i listen to it :)

petegms
02-01-07, 00:02
hey julie! i also find myself singing in the car when i am feel anxious.. seems to help me a lot to!

lawzy
19-12-07, 09:46
thats a great idead i rekon:)

Anna C
10-02-08, 13:32
Hi Hopeful,
I know you posted this a long time ago, but it made me smile. It also made me remember a time when I was on the bus and I was feeling very anxious.
I imagined myself dressed like a belly dancing, belly dancing up and down the bus singing always look on the bright side of life!:roflmao:

I know there is nothing wrong with belly dancing, but if you knew me you'd know I would never do anything to draw attention to myself.

Anyway it cheered me up and I arrived at work in a good mood.:D

feelingood82
25-06-08, 06:32
It seems to be that singing not only distracts you, but I recently read that it helps because we use a different part of brain when performing any kind of music. I feel like it may be similar to art therapy, when I am using my creativity in any way productive I do not obsessively worry or have panic attacks. It is kind of like my brain gets bored when it lacks the opportunity to create (which is frequent in our society) so it decides to create something on its own. The result is panic, anxiety, fear, feelings of craziness, and all the other good stuff that comes along with panic disorder. Fear is a form of entertainment, think of all the horror films and dangerous past times such as bungee jumping.

Granny Primark
25-06-08, 20:50
Ive started sing the chewing gum advert when im stuck in traffic. It helps loads:D

"The more we are together, together, together.
The more we get together the happier wel be!
Cus your friends are my friends and my friends are your friends.
The more we get together the happier wel be!"

I sing it to my grandaughter all the time.

Perhaps I should change my name back to loopylynn :sofa:

Lindalou64
26-06-08, 13:27
Hey Julie Yes Singing Is Great For The Soul When Im Driving And Feeling Anxious I Just Turn Up The Music And Sing Always Seems To Help...............linda Xx

Lindalou64
26-06-08, 13:28
Lol Lynn Now I Have That Song In My Head Lol Hun Hope Ya Doing Ok..................love Ya .........linda

thedood
27-06-08, 18:27
When I'm walking to work and I'm trying not to let the negative thoughts in to wreck my day I sing..."I feel good..da nananana nana...I knew that I would know."
Its like one big positive affirmation.
x

The Fool
14-07-08, 15:19
well it works for me but sometimes i get to into it and start dancing and singing round the house scaring cats and getting odd looks from family memebers lol but yeh it does help to keep your mind off things its a good tip :)