PDA

View Full Version : Pregabalin......at last!!

SarahH
12-04-13, 15:25
I have a 13yr story which I will try to summarise...

2001 diagnosed PTSD after suffering symptoms for a year as a serving police officer.......breakdown......prescibed tricyclics,SSRI's, NSRI...all had VERY bad side effects....after 6 months citalopram worked but only in small doses (10-20mg).
11yrs later after various therapies, CBT,EMDR,relaxation, mindfulness I felt well enough to come off citalopram (under GP supervision). That was just over a year ago. For the first 6 months I felt great. Life was good. Part-time job. Small pension.Content.Zopliclone at night only.
As the winter set in my mood changed. I felt low,anxiety started coming in waves on a daily basis. But I "managed" the symptoms.
5 weeks ago I was hit with flu....proper flu...after a week in bed I developed a chest infection...antibiotics....a week later, one morning the anxiety could not be controlled. I truly felt like I was losing my mind. I called for help. I was admitted to a Psychiatric Hospital. The scariest thing that has ever happened to me and trust me I have been in some pretty horrific situations as a police officer!!!
After 4 days of intensive assessment in hospital I was prescribed the wonder drug Pregabalin:D My diagnoses ..Acute PTSD/GAD/Post Viral Fatigue....NOT depressed. My low mood was a result of constantly having to fight anxiety!!!
I started on 50mg twice a day. I was given a LONG list of side effects and told that this drug had to be introduced slowly. The side effects...basically I felt drunk...without the benefit of Sauvignon Blanc!!! It was not pleasant but I was in a safe place with wonderful kind staff who took care of me a kept me "safe" when I felt all was going crazy in my head.
After 4 days the dose was doubled (150mgs twice a day)...drunk again.....BUT NO ANXIETY!!!!!!:yahoo: But still the Consultant said it needed to be 200mgs twice a day. So 4 days later it was put up again. This time the side effects were not so bad.
So after 18 days in hospital I am home with 24hr support from the outreach team.Which will continue until I decide I am OK on my own.
How do I feel?.........calmer than I have felt in 13yrs...truly.
I have Lorazepam if I have a bad attack (It's shorter half life, less addictive than Diazepam)but I have not had to use it so far!
I have engaged with the quite brilliant OT team and re learnt relaxation, mindfulness and other coping strategies. And I have listened to the advice of professionals in hospital. I still feel spaced out but that is getting better everyday!

I will keep you posted on my progress.

Thanks for reading. Hope it helps others on pregabalin:)

Mark13
12-04-13, 19:07
Hi Sarah

Glad to hear pregabalin is working for you.

I got some relief straight away, but it stabilised after 4 weeks.

I came off it for several reasons I won't go into here, because everyone acts differently to the drug, but one of the problems was weight gain - not huge but more than I could afford to put on, already being overweight. .

I'm trying duloxetine at the moment, and I've not been on it long enough (day 3) to judge yet, but till now pregabalin was by far the best drug I've ever found for GAD.

hanshan
13-04-13, 03:52
Hi Sarah,

Good to hear that pregabalin is working. As Mark and other posters have noted, weight gain can be a problem. Monitor this if it is likely to be a problem.

Good luck, and keep posting.

JT69
13-04-13, 09:09
Hello Sarah,

Pregabalin has been a huge help to me with general anxiety...I am so glad it is helping you too.

Long may it continue.

Jo.x

SarahH
13-04-13, 14:51
Thank you for your support messages. They are really helpful.

I am nearly a week on the 400mgs. Still some side effects in the mornings. I noticed today that taking it on an empty stomach increases the side effects tenfold :doh: Wont be doing that again!

Can anyone let me know how long it takes for the side effects to wear off? I know we are all different but some ideas may be helpful.

Coming home has been a bit stressful, but I expected that.

How are the new meds Mark?

---------- Post added at 14:51 ---------- Previous post was at 14:31 ----------

OH ..and I forgot to say. Thanks for the weight warning. I was absolutely stuffing myself in hospital, never eaten so much in my life....I gained 1lb!!!!!!. However I have now gone back to my normal eating just in case. As long as I stay a size 14 I will be happy.

I will keep you all updated on this thread....it may help others new to the board. Everyone has an individual story and I found reading about it all helpful so maybe someone will find my story helpful too.

Tufty
13-04-13, 18:04
Hi Sarah I'm Sam, I'm so pleased you have finally found relief from your anxiety. I have a similar history to yours on a similar time scale and have struggled to find the right medication.

I started Pregabalin 12 weeks ago, 150mg daily initially increased to 450mg over a period of 3 weeks and it was good but I had a low mood that wasn't lifting, I was putting on weight and just wasn't happy. So after 7 weeks I gave another SSRI a try, thinking that the side effects would be less with me taking the Pregabalin, my mood instantly dropped and the anxiety increased. I stopped the SSRI after 3 weeks and that was a week ago but my mood has plummeted and my anxiety increased. I am still taking the Pregabalin but it's not been very effective at reducing the anxiety this week but as it was so successful prior to my dabble with the SSRI, I will continue to take it.

I take it with food or I get a drunk feeling, that isn't unpleasant but can be a bit off putting, I can't remember having any side effects after taking them for 7 weeks, maybe a little constipated, bloated stomach due to the above and increased appetite. You said you gained 1lb? I gained 7lbs in the first 3 weeks but it didn't go any higher and like you I'll be happy with a size 14 and no anxiety.

I've spent time in a psych unit with anxiety, though yours sounds a lot more helpful and caring than my experience 10 years ago. Coming home is stressful after being in that protective environment.

I've just a couple of questions, you said you took a SNRI - which one and how bad were the side effects? I've not had EMDR but it has been suggested to me - was it any good and can you tell me more about it please. I'm happy to post on here or PM if you'd prefer
Take care
Sam

SarahH
13-04-13, 19:39
Hi Sam,

Thanks for replying. The SNRI I tried was Venlafaxine. I took half of one tablet and within 10mins I was having a serious allergic reaction, rash visibly growing up my abdomen and chest, up my throat and face, tongue swelling. My mother drove me to the nearest hospital (5mins) and I was injected with adrenalin. Spent the night in hospital. I do have bad reactions to meds.

EMDR......had a great response to it and may try it again to help me cope with the sudden admission to psychiatric hospital, which can be a trauma in itself. There is alot on the net about EMDR I was lucky as my NHS Trust have trained psychologists. I live in Wiltshire.

I am quite happy to post on this site and answer any questions. The more open we all are the more we can help others and carers to undestand.:D

SarahH
14-04-13, 11:03
Quick update for anyone interested

This is day 7 of 400mgs a day.

This morning I made sure I had breakfast and took my first dose half an hour later. Exactly 2 hrs later the side effects kicked in. They are not as bad as yesterday when I had to go back to bed because of somnolence. Today I just feel a bit drunk. If things pan out like yesterday this feeling will last about 4 hrs and then disappear . I take the second dose at about 7pm after food but dont seem to get any side effects in the evening.

Slept well with 7.5mgs of Zopliclone.

Have a good day everyone :)

hanshan
14-04-13, 11:32
Hi Sarah,

It's good that you seem to be feeling okay on 400 mg a day of pregabalin.

My suggestion would be to try to fall asleep without the zopiclone. You can always have it handy if you can't fall asleep.

SarahH
14-04-13, 13:08
Thanks for suggestion.......

Sadly I have been taking Zopliclone for 13yrs!!!!. I now have an addiction which will be hard to break until "they" come up with something new.

The good news is that before Xmas I was taking 18.75mgs to get to sleep so 7.5 is a great achievement:D I am going to try 3.75mgs tonight.

hanshan
14-04-13, 13:39
I'm amazed that you have a doctor who would prescribe zopiclone for 13 years - since they are under considerable pressure to stop patients using these medications long-term.

Regardless of that, if you can make the switch to pregabalin, it's probably for the better.

SarahH
14-04-13, 13:47
Well to be honest the Zopliclone kept me going so I could work and when first given Drs thought it was non addictive...we all know that's now a crock!!:D

I feel so calm at the moment I will be trying to cut down again but I have lost the ability to "drop off" if that makes sense.......it is now a "sleep disorder" but that is a minor problem next to the PTSD/GAD.

I'll let you know :D

hanshan
15-04-13, 11:06
After taking zopiclone so long, I can understand the difficulty dropping off. Is it possible to taper down very gradually?

SarahH
15-04-13, 14:50
Am trying to do just that hanshan. Last night 3.25mgs but could not drop into a deep sleep after 2 hrs so took the other half. Will try again tonight.

On the positive side today is day 15 on 400mgs. Walked dog early for an hour, side effects kicked on at 10am...still "drunk" at 2.30pm. BUT have visited a nieghbour and had a friend visit me. Also suppressed a minor anxiety attack without Lorazepam....so all positive. Just waiting for Intensive Team CPN visit. Still too risky to drive my car at the moment.

Hope everyone else is having a good day x

SarahH
16-04-13, 16:36
Day 9 on 400mgs a day.
An odd couple of days to be honest. Low levels of anxiety have returned late mornings after visiting nieghbours both days!So have taken Lorazepam (1mg) at lunch times. This eases the anxiety. Intensive team said I should not be afraid to take it at this stage as I have only been home 5 days.
Dizzyness and sleepines still present but passes (almost) by 4pm.

Last night I slept using only 3.75mgs of Zopliclone :yesyes:Which I havent done for 13yrs. So very pleased with myself.
Felt a bit weepy before taking the Lorazepam at 2pm but feel better now after a lie down.
Feeling a bit "will this ever end"...."what will happen in the future".

Going to drive to my mums across town for dinner. Feel able for the first time.

Did anyone else feel like this after 9 days on theraputic dose??

Tufty
16-04-13, 18:20
Yes I can relate to those feelings. After I worked up to 450mg of Pregabalin and stuck at it for 10 days I had a dip in mood and breakthrough anxiety. I responded by starting another SSRI which was the wrong thing to do in hindsight, I wish I'd given it a bit longer. I think after everything you've been through it is completely normal to feel anxious and get low.

I would take the Lorazepam as advised and try not to think about what will happen in the future, you need to take care of yourself in the here and now. The road to recovery is uphill and slow, taking baby steps all the way. Today you reduced your Zopiclone and drove across town to your mums, that is a huge achievement only 5 days after discharge. Congratulate yourself and be kind to yourself. You will recover x
Sam

SarahH
16-04-13, 20:07
Thanks Sam Really appreciate your reply.

Spoke to my Primary Care Nurse at the hospital who said I am still fragile and not to beat myself up over taking the occasional Lorazepam.

I found the basic yoga techniques and the mindfulness helpful aswell this afternoon.

Anyway how are you doing today Sam.....?

hanshan
17-04-13, 11:46
My guess is that low feelings are more likely due to coming off zopiclone rather than pregabalin not working.

If overall you are taking less zopiclone, there's nothing wrong covering the rough moments with an occasional lorazepam. The overall goal is to stop both, but no prizes for first across the line.

SarahH
17-04-13, 11:55
That's a very good point! thanks.

Had to take 7.5mgs last night and no wobbles this morning so maybe I will try every other night dropping the Zopliclone and see what happens :D

SarahH
17-04-13, 17:44
So day 10 (I think) of 400mgs. So far only 2 minor anxiety attacks which I dealt with using Yoga stretches and mindfulness, no Lorazepam today:D

First anxiety after friend visited this morning with two toddlers!!!!!!

Second was after going out with mother for a cuppa (her driving terrifies me when I am well :scared15:).

Roll on tomorrow...still not working but early days.....

---------- Post added at 17:44 ---------- Previous post was at 17:35 ----------

...OH yeah, also changed the time of my first dose to 10am....dizzynes from 1pm -4pm and more tolerable each day...

hanshan
19-04-13, 11:37
Hi Sarah,

Sounds good that pregabalin seems to be working, even if there are a few anxious moments. My experience is that it isn't a 100% cure for anxiety, but it's the best I've come across so far.

Please keep us posted.

SarahH
19-04-13, 13:47
Thanks Hanshan:)

Day 12 400mgs.

Yesterday (day11) was a pretty good day.
Haircut in the morning. Anxiety in salon controlled by mindfulness. Side effects kicked in at 1pm so afternoon on the sofa. BIG anxiety at 5pm so lorazepam needed:mad:. But good evening and sleep.

Today I drove myself through rush hour traffic for 30mins to discharge appointment at the hospital.

Very positive. Controlled anxiety with Minfulness:). Now taking drugs at different times in the day to reduce side effects. Morning 100mgs.lunch time 100mgs then evening 200mgs. Hopefully this will mean I can get on with my life without spending all afternoon trapped in my house.

Its now nearly 2pm and no side effects an I can type without mistooks (!).

Hanshan is right. Dealing with anxiety is about a combination of things. Meds,Mindfulness,Relaxation techniques and a positive mindset. So far it's working for me.

I hope this helps others:noangel:

SarahH
20-04-13, 21:27
Day 13.

Not a good day today. Low mood all day. Dr told me to change timings of dose to 100mgs morning,100mgs lunch, 200mgs evening. But this has not been good. Just side effects ALL day instead of 1pm-4pm. Terrible anxiety late afternoon so had to tale lorazepam,:weep:

Going back to 200mgs morning 200mgs evening. wait for side effects to wear off.

Anyone know how long before side effects go?

hanshan
21-04-13, 12:11
Hello Sarah,

Sorry to hear about the side effects. My own feeling is that as long as you are taking the same dose in a day, you can experiment with what times you take each dose.

For me, some side effects went after a few weeks. Others stayed a while longer, and others seem more or less permanent.

For the record, the ones which disappeared quickly were mild euphoria, sleepiness and dizziness. The ones that stayed for a few weeks or longer were dry mouth and lack of physical coordination.

Long-term, there is lower sex drive and performance, and a pronounced weakness of my legs when walking or climbing stairs. I can't put this down entirely to pregabalin, as I am taking it in combination with other medications.

SarahH
22-04-13, 14:09
Thanks Hanshan,
Not looking forward to the lower sex drive !!:scared15: Still have dizziness and lack of co-ordination. But also feel like I am in a dream...if that makes sense. Still reducing the Zopliclone but have noticed if I take 3.75mgs two nights in a row I have a terrible dip in my mood the next day.....so going to take lower dose every other night.
Still not working. I am a cleaner so I need to be 100% before I go back. Luckily all my clients have been very understanding and kind about my return. Getting frustrated now about side effects stopping leading the active life I lead.

Anyone want to come a mow my lawns??????

SarahH
24-04-13, 18:37
Day 17

Just an update for anyone searching for pregabalin advice......

Still 400mgs a day (200 morning 200 evening)

Side effects are now better. I still get a 1pm haziness, with vision blurryness. But this now only lasts for about an hour. The rest of the time I would say I feel a little spaced out. But this is not an unpleasant feeling and MUCH better than feeling anxious. I feel safe to drive (except at the 1pm faze). The evening dose (I take it a 7pm) does not give me side effects. I dont know why, strange I know!

I do feel quite chilled these days, and that's good for me. I think the only time my anxiety kicks in is when I start worrying that I am not feeling anxious!!!!! OR I worry about how bad I was a month ago and that it all my come back:wacko:

I am guessing this is all part of my recovery!!!

hanshan
25-04-13, 13:31
This all sounds good, if you accept that pregabalin, at best, is not the 100% answer - you still have to put in the last 20% yourself.

For some people, pregabalin is less than 80% of a solution or has unacceptable side effects, and they have to bail out.

SarahH
30-04-13, 16:00
Day 23

I am feeling much better:D. I had a wobbly moment on Sunday evening but probably because I went shopping with my daughter for 4 hrs earlier in the day and did far too much.

The side effects are still there starting about 2/3 hrs after taking meds in the morning but they are far more tolerable.

I have started doing a few cleaning jobs in the mornings, but taking it slowly. My clients have all been fantastically supportive even though I have been off work for 6 weeks. With this sunny weather I have even been tackling the garden. But I am being careful and not getting too tired as this aggravates my anxiety.

Thank goodness for pregabalin...it seems to be working for me :D

SarahH
25-05-13, 07:26
Day 49

just realised I havent posted on here for ages!

On the whole things have got better and better. Some off days but they are less frequent.

Infact this last week has been fantastic, considering I have only been out of hospital since the beginning of April.

Back to work full hours and I have done some very challenging things for me. Including going to the cinema (on my own)!!!!

Still have dizzy spells (side effects) but they are tolerable. but more importantly I have felt "me" come back again. Almost like something snapped back into place in my brain.

Low mood has gone and so has the flippin' anxiety 99% of the day :D

Tufty
25-05-13, 10:17
That is such good news Sarah :hugs:

You've done so well in a relatively short amount of time, keep us posted

Sam

JT69
27-05-13, 16:38
Hi Sarah

Have been following your thread...so pleased that you are benefiting from the pregabalin...very encouraging for others!!

Keep letting us know how you are doing!!

Onwards and upwards hunny.:D

Jo.x

SarahH
06-06-13, 19:05
It's nearly 2 months since I first created this thread so I thought I would give a little update so that anyone who is searching for pregabalin information can have a read.

So how am I? Well pretty dam good actually.

I now take mt 200mgs at 10 am and 10pm (400 in total a day). The side effects are almost non existent....well certainly I dont notice any so they must be so minimal that I have got used to them. The "drunkeness" I felt in the afternoons has gone:D

I take 7.5 mg of Zopliclone at night but every three nights I take 3.75mgs because I dont seem to need anymore than that. It really depends on what kind of day I have had.

My energy levels are incredible!! I dont need my 2pm nap anymore and I am active and busy from 7.30 am until 7pm when I crash in front of the TV and relax.

I am a pretty chilled out person nowadays. Things dont seem to bother me so much anymore. I do ruminate or let things "churn" in my head and when I feel any anxiety brewing I use relaxation/breathing techniques
to relax (even when driving my car I can reduce my heartrate!!).

But the thing that really is helping the most is Mindfulness Meditation :yesyes: It truly is a brilliant technique which with a little practice can be as effective as taking a dose of valium. Please try it if you suffer from anxiety.....and remember I was in a psychiatric unit my anxiety was so bad!!!

Mindfulness can be used at anytime and anywhere...even in the supermarket!

I know I will NEVER be the person I was before, but I would rather be the person I am now, with a chilled attitude to life. Yes I still have the occasional bad day, but I can cope with them now whereas before I would let that spiral out of control (downwards).

Hope everyone else is doing well xx

---------- Post added at 19:05 ---------- Previous post was at 19:02 ----------

Ooops! clearly I ment "I DONT ruminate or let things "churn" in my head"

hanshan
07-06-13, 11:19
Hi Sarah,

It's great to hear that pregabalin is working for you.

Like you, I feel like I'm a different person, a lot calmer. This can be a bit disconcerting, as I was quite intense before. But, overall, I'm happy to go with the change.

SarahH
07-06-13, 17:14
Yes I know exactly what you mean Hanshan.......less intense:yesyes:

SarahH
12-06-13, 19:22
WOW!! forgot to take my dose of pregabalin last night...BIG mistake:wacko:
I did not realise.. At 4 am I was wide awake and going over and over things in my head...tossing and turning...getting angry with life. Got up had a glass of milk but could not get back to sleep. Up about 7am and off for my morning hour long dog walk. Very jittery. When I got back I noticed my meds on the window and suddenly realised I had forgotten to take my 10pm dose DOH!:oopsie:

I did not think it would make such a huge difference to how I feel....so warning to all..

Much better this evening...:emot-highfive:

Mark13
12-06-13, 22:28
WOW!! forgot to take my dose of pregabalin last night...BIG mistake:wacko:
I always knew when I'd missed a dose as the anxiety came back in waves after only a couple of hours, due to the short half life.

I had to put "emergency" ones in my work bag in case I forgot to take one before I set off.

SarahH
13-06-13, 17:40
Been reading "Sane New World" by Ruby Wax....brilliant book,funny, well written. Gives great understanding to our minds and Mindfulness ...if you can get hold of a copy well worth a read......in fact I would say of all the books I have read in the last 13yrs about depression/anxiety this is by far the best...........

I will say it again "SANE NEW WORLD"......Ruby Wax!!!

hanshan
14-06-13, 04:06
Hi Sarah,

I've forgotten to take a dose a couple of times with very similar results to what you describe.

JT69
15-06-13, 10:04
Hi Sarah

So glad that you are benefiting from this wonder drug!! I am not the person I used to be either but accept that and would rather be like this then how I was before I found the drug.

Long may it continue for you.:)

Take care
Jo.x

hanshan
16-06-13, 05:01
One point about not forgetting to take the dose - I've started leaving the empty blister packs (I cut or break them up into sections) on the table after I take my dose. That way I know for sure that I've taken them. (Oh dear, getting old and forgetful, I know ...)

SarahH
24-06-13, 15:39
Ok so here is a (nearly) 3 month update. It's mostly good news and some not so good news. Things had been going brilliantly up until about a week ago when I started to feel that creeping anxiety coming back up. I managed to "bat" it away and use Mindfulness techniques which were helping. I was using my Lorazepam in small doses (0.5mgs) once a day, but not everyday. My GP assured me that that was ok and that I was using Lorazepam correctly. But on Friday afternoon I was hit by a massive wave of fear/anxiety and needed to take 1mg and go to bed. This quite frankly scared the s**t out of me as I had not felt so bad since before going into hospital. On Saturday I woke up with the jitters but carried on with my normal routine, walked the dog and went to clean some offices for 2 hrs. By the time I got back I needed the Lorazepam again and went back to bed again and slept for 3 hrs!!!! I had to go to my nephews wedding party in the evening, a big event which I had been nervous about for a while. I managed to go and had quite a nice time. Sunday I stayed home and did slow household chores and did not need lorazepam. By this morning the anxiety had increased again:mad: Walked the dog went off to clean for a hour and BAM! back came the fear so I took 1mg and called my GP. and asked for advice. IS the pregabalin not working? Should I carry on with Lorazepam? Is this a blip? Should I increase the Pregabalin to 600mgs a aday? What if it gets as bad as 3 months ago and I have to go into hospital again?
GP said (remember she is VERY experienced in mental health and is training to be a psychiatrist) This is a blip, pregabalin does not just stop working, up the Lorazepam for now to 3mgs a day if necessary, see her on Friday and discuss upping the Pregabalin.

Any suggestions guys ??? :wacko:

Tufty
24-06-13, 17:13
Sorry things aren't so good Sarah but I agree with your GP, it's just a blip. Take Lorazepam as needed and increase the Pregabalin on Friday if you're not back to normal. I've been on it 5 months now and it's still helping me with the anxiety but I still have the occasional panic - I have put it down to the other antidepressants I have been starting and stopping thou :blush:.

It sounds like you are thinking negatively and catastrophising - 'what if it's stopped working, what if I go into hospital again' and we all do this when we are anxious but it makes our anxiety worse. It has been 10 years since I was in hospital with my anxiety and I am confident that I will never go into hospital again because of it. When things get bad and I'm panicking uncontrollably I take diazepam, if that didn't work (it always has) I would take a Zopiclone and hide in my bed. Now we have Pregabalin we have another tool in our anxiety kit and we could add that to the list of medication to get us out of a panic.

Definitely carry on with the Lorazepam, the less panic we have the better - until we feel strong and confident enough to manage them without medication. This is a blip, it will not last. Do some relaxation, breathing exercises and keep going girl, you've come so far in the last few months - recovery isn't a straight line, it's more mountainous and we need to keep climbing.

Take care
Sam
oh and remember to eat too

SarahH
24-06-13, 17:43
Hi Sam,

Thank you for that!!!!You are spot on as usual :)Because I have been doing so well it scared the crap out of me to suddenly feel bad again. And yes I am a catastrophiser. In the past I used to use Zopliclone and go to bed to get rid of the anxiety...bad girl I know. But I was always honest about it and now I should do as I am told and use the Lorazepam...as my GP keeps saying "thats what its there for".

Thanks again Sam good to see you back on the board.

Are you still taking Mirt?

Tufty
24-06-13, 17:56
Nope, only been off it 4 days but feel better :), more like me. I started it thinking it was going to be the 'one' and truly believed that it would help both my anxiety and depression but by week 5 I started to doubt it and by week 8 I was unhappy on it, so after 10 weeks I stopped it and I feel better already. I'm off to see my doc tomorrow for some Prozac (hopefully) and I may have to join you in taking some Diazepam to help me through some difficult days.

SarahH
24-06-13, 18:04
So do you think going on the prozac again is the best way? I hope it works. I was given Lorazepam rather than Diazepam as they said it was short acting and less addictive....just a thought.
What dose of pregabalin are you on now?

Will you post your progress on the other thread or on this one?
I am routeing for you Sam you deserve to get the right combination at last!

Tufty
24-06-13, 21:41
I asked my doctor for Lorazepam last year and he refused - gave me Propanolol instead! I have only had Lorazepam once and I slept for 3 hours straight after and felt dopey for 24 hours. I've got a few diazepam and have only take them when absolutely necessary.

I'm on 250mg of Pregabalin now, so I've dropped it several times without any problem.

I now what you mean about giving my body a rest from the medication but when I did this in December it didn't go well and that's when this merry go round began. Prozac served me well for many years and although not without its side effects, it is easy to stop, I feel that if I can get my mood up I can work on my anxiety and then stop the Prozac when I'm feeling more confident.

I think that's the key with anxiety, confidence, if I feel I can cope with how I feel I do. I always took Prozac at low dose and some may claim it was just a placebo but it gave me confidence and I believed it was helping with my anxiety, therefore it did. I now lack confidence in my ability to cope with anxiety without medication so I'll take Prozac until my faith in myself is restored. I'd love to go it alone and in time I think I will but for now I think I need medication.

SarahH
25-06-13, 07:25
You know yourself well Sam which is what matters. I suppose it all depends what comes first for me its anxiety which gives me a low mood so tackling the anxiety gives me confidence and lifts my mood....what strange animals we are:)

Keep posting with your progress and take care Sarah

hanshan
25-06-13, 13:06
My experience is that pregabalin is successful in dealing with all the low level stuff, but is not so successful with the big stuff. What is big will differ from person to person, but you mention your nephew's wedding. If that was big enough for you, it might have set off a tsunami of anxiety that overwhelmed the pregabalin. Even after the wedding, the anxiety might still have been pumping away.

It doesn't mean that pregabalin has stopped working, just that there are some situations where it isn't powerful enough. In those cases, it's not wrong if you have some lorazepam in reserve.

SarahH
25-06-13, 15:14
Spot on!:D You sound like my Doctor Hanshan.....:yesyes:
There were a number of things building up that day (Friday) and things that I was dreading over the weekend (the wedding party) you are abosolutely right Hanshan and it has been a lesson learned!!!

I have felt fine today so far (3pm now) and not had to use any Lorazepam and I have had a busy day which include breaking and ornament at a house where I was cleaning:scared11:Which COULD have sent me off on an anxiety trip but did not thank goodness. The owner was at home and was lovely about it....... luckily I have found a replacement on the internet (phew).

Anyway.....my point is that I should take each day as it comes and realise that a "blip" is a "blip" and nothing more than that!!!

Mark13
25-06-13, 18:35
I find it's the same with duloxetine, Sarah, it can be overwhelmed with stressful events to such an extent that I think it's not working.

Then I think back to how I used to cope without it (badly). It's easy to forget how bad you once were when the improvement is gradual.

I also find that after a stressful event has been dealt with I quickly drop back to a calmer me - in the old days my anxiety would stay high even with with no more "trigger" events.

I don't think any drug is perfect, but if it's much better with than without (and mine is) then it's well worth it.

Especially if you're diabetic and on medication for it (me since being prescribed Metformin yesterday) and get all your prescriptions free :)

I'd rather not be diabetic but you've got to look for a silver lining in these things :)

I really hope pregabalin continues to bring you some benefit, Sarah.

Mark

SarahH
26-06-13, 09:59
Thanks guys,

Strangely had a great day yesterday (8/10)NO VALIUM needed!!!!
I am trying to practice Mindfulness as much as I can since being inspired by Ruby Wax's new book and have booked on a one day workshop in Bath. There is a huge amount of evidence now about how it is helping people with all kinds of anxiety/depression/pain/PTSD. And when I stop and use it for 20mins in my day the calmness I feel is incredible. The more you practice the more your brain rewires your thoughts. Neuroscience!!! who knew:ohmy:

hanshan
26-06-13, 11:30
Great news to hear. Keep at it.

SarahH
02-07-13, 21:54
Not a good day today :weep: Anxiety bad from the moment I woke up. Went off to work after taking .5 lorazepam...struggled so 1 hour later took another .5mgs.
Came home ...very low mood....sleep.....then an old friend arrived (4pm) sat chatting but I was very weepy.....dominoes for tea.....sat with no anxiety but very low mood......whats this all about now???:shrug: Feel like I want to do things but no energy to do them...if that makes sense. Very lonley today. S

Tufty
02-07-13, 22:04
:hugs: Sarah

Do you think Lorazepam contributes to your low mood? I know Diazepam increases my depression. Sometimes its hard to know what to do for the best, to knock the anxiety on the head and deal with the rebound depression or do nothing, you can only do what feels right for you to do at that time. It will pass, it always does, just a week ago you were feeling well and in another weeks time things should be the same, it's just a blip.

Have you been practicing your mindfulness? You are not alone, depression makes you feel lonely and makes you forget all the good things in your life. Small steps Sarah and we will overcome this x
Love Sam x

SarahH
03-07-13, 07:13
Thank you so much Sam,

I think you are right about Lorazepam. I remember a Dr telling me about that years ago, but had forgotten until you mentioned it. Thank you for your support.
I feel alot better this morning and will see how the day goes. I only have one small clean this morning and hope to be seeing a good friend this afternoon which should take my mind off my loneliness.

Hope you are feeling better today

Sarah

SarahH
04-07-13, 11:00
Had a reasonable day yesterday.....then BAM!!! woke up in the early hours of the morning gasping for breath and major anxiety attack :ohmy::ohmy: Stayed in bed trying to control it, deep breaths/relaxation. Got up at 7 then had to take .5mgs of Lorazepam!!! I have never had to do that. Terrible fears about losing control again. Went for a walk with dog. Still bad but Lorazepam calmed me a little.....thoughts catastrophising again....................

Called the Intensive Team who were kind and said it's only a blip but call my GP to up my pregabalin to 500mgs a day/ I think it;s time to try the increase. Looking at my journal over the last two weeks too many "bad" days now to ignore. Cancelled my cleaning job today.

Called GP...guess what shes on holiday :mad: Now awaiting call from Duty Dr. Have been waiting 2 hrs. Waves of anxiety/depression coming over me right now.....do I take the other .5mgs of lorazepam of not???????

I've had a shower...but feel no better. Lower back pain intense...which is a sign my anxiety is up sky high. Really low mood as I thought I had this licked

:weep::weep::weep:

---------- Post added at 11:00 ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 ----------

So duty Dr called and has written a prescription to up my pregab to 500mgs a day so this will hopefully prevent the need for Lorazepam which she agrees is making me low. She has suggested 200 in morning,200 mid afternoon and 100 at night with my Zopliclone. So fingers crossed. Actually blubbed down the phone to her....which strangely calmed me down a little:shrug:

ghhqww
04-07-13, 12:24
You just can't account for these blips, very upsetting for you of course. It doesn't mean things aren't working overall. And sometimes it's good to blub! :) It's good to release to someone who is willing to just listen. Good luck.

Tufty
04-07-13, 17:49
:hugs: Sarah, there's nothing wrong with a good blub. Are you starting the increased dose tonight? That's the great thing with Pregabalin I found it worked immediately so hopefully you'll be feeling better by the weekend. I'm getting waves of anxiety and depression too and it is overwhelming at times, hold on lass, it can't last forever

Love and hugs
Sam

SarahH
04-07-13, 19:01
Thanks for your support guys:yesyes:.

Had a terrible morning. but in the end only needed .5 lorazepam all day. Been sanding down woodwork this afternoon:wacko:

I took 200mgs at 9.30am then 200mgs at 3pm and will take the extra 100 at bedtime.

Hoping tomorrow will be better as I am cleaning the house I cancelled:whistles:

Sam I hope you are hanging in there, you are so strong (far stronger than me!!!)

What a strange day:shrug:

SarahH
06-07-13, 09:07
So here's what I am thinking.........

Yesterday (Friday) on the higher dose of Pregabalin (500mgs) I had a great day.
3.5 hrs cleaning two visits to friends including BBQ and home late. A long day but I was feeling great. A bit fuzzy headed from 6pm onwards from side effects but only to be expected on the bigger dose.
However, what worries me is what if my body is getting used to pregabalin and I will have to up the dose again to the maximum of 600mgs. I then have no leeway if the anxiety gets worse again!!

So, bare with me guys, what if I try to introduce another drug? I have had MAJOR problems in the past with SE's, particularly start up SE's but for 11 yrs I coped with Citalopram on a small dose of 10mgs. This kept my anxiety at bay.
I came off Cit 18months ago as I felt really well but the anxiety started to build up again and just before Xmas I tried to go back on Cit but the start up effects were so horrendous on 10mgs that I stopped. 3 months later the anxiety was so bad I ended up on a psch ward which is when I was given pregabalin.

So I am thinking if I start Citalopram again but on a REALLY low dose (2mgs) I could really slowly introduce back into my system over a period of weeks and get back up to 10mgs. Once there I could see what the difference is and maybe (just maybe) start reducing pregabalin.

The thing is when I was on Citalopram I felt great. No drunkeness,great libido,no weight gain, alcohol if I wanted to!

This would also mean that if my anxiety returned (if just on Citalopram) I know that pregabalin is an option again.

If I introduce the citalopram now the pregabalin could help reduce that start up side effects.

What do you think guys??

Tufty
06-07-13, 16:18
I could of written this myself Sarah but swapping Citalopram for Fluoxetine. It's exactly what I'm doing, using the Pregabalin to soften the side effects of restarting Fluoxetine after the Pregabalin worked but with some significant side effects and need to increase the dose regularly.

I was on Prozac 10mg daily for 8 years and it worked great but when I upped the dose or stopped and restarted it I'd get horrific, literally life stopping panic attacks. That's when I decided to try other medication believing that something would work better than Prozac and ended up on Pregabalin. Pregabalin worked for anxiety but I was still having high anxiety and panic attacks after 4 months so have added Prozac with the plan to reduce Pregabalin in due course.

I'm on day 14 Prozac (Fluoxetine) and am up to 10mg a day, after starting at 5mg, I am getting panic attacks and feel very nauseas and generally ill so the Pregabalin isn't doing a great job but I have been worse so maybe it's helping reduce the side effects a little. I am having to take some Diazepam to manage this start up which I had hoped to avoid.

Just like you I would prefer to be on a drug with no sedation/dopiness, be able to drink and reduce the weight gain. If Pregabalin had obliterated my anxiety I would of tolerated those side effects but as it hasn't I would prefer to be on a drug that a) was more effective b) could be taken once a day c) less side effects d) has an antidepressant effect also. Getting through the first 6 weeks on an SSRI is hell but after trying the alternatives, including other SSRI's, I am prepared to grit my teeth and see it through.

I think it sounds like a good plan but be prepared for some increase in anxiety. If a drug has worked for you before I believe it is more than likely going to work again and some people say the more side effects you get the more effective it will be :unsure: I had dropped the Pregabalin down to 300mg daily in preparation to stop it as I'm inpatient but have increased it again and will try to reduce it again once the Prozac has settled in.

Will your GP support a change of drug or will you have to go through your psych?

Love Sam

SarahH
06-07-13, 20:49
Hi Sam,

Yeah we sound VERY similar, in fact almost identical! It was your story and a couple of others that have got me thinking about this. If my body is getting "tolerant" of pregabalin I am just going to go up further to the max dose and then what!!!!? So if I introduce Citalopram now I can use the next higher dose (100mgs) to counteract the SE's. Well thats my thoughts anyway. 10mgs of Citalopram kept me "well" for 11years I just stupidly thought I could manage without it.
I dont have a psych yet as the "recovery team" who are supposed to take over my care since coming out of hospital in the middle of April have only just sent me an appointment!!!!!!!(yes three months). But luckily I have been supported by a brilliant GP who I see once a week. She is training to be a Psychiatrist so is on the ball!!! I am going to discuss this with her this week. I think she will go with it as two weeks ago she suggested adding an SSRI anyway.
I now realise that the start up SE's that I had before Xmas were terrifying anxiety symptoms, feeling like I was dying/doom/fear/losing my mind feelings. What I am hoping is that with pregabalin in my system it wont be so bad and a little bit of Lorazepam will help me along the way.
Like you I am going to suggest the Cranzac method but but my tablets and start on 2mgs a day, BUT really slowly introduce it into my body e.g. 2 weeks on 2mgs then 2 weeks on 5mgs etc etc.
I am not very depressed but my mood is a little low. Having said that I have had a great day out in Bristol harbour with a great friend today. This was a big challenge for me BUT I DID IT!!!:D

Sam is your anxiety how I describe mine?
And how are you feeling?

Sarah x

Tufty
07-07-13, 13:27
How long did you take the Citalopram for when you restarted it at Christmas Sarah?

I've read lots of peoples accounts on here of taking SSRI for anxiety and it seems to be a common story, you take them for years at low dose without a problem, stop them for whatever reason and then when the anxiety returns and you can't cope reintroduce the same drug and have a 'reaction' to them.

When I started Prozac 9 years ago, I was on steroids and very depressed but with little anxiety, I started it at a low dose - about 3mg and increased to 40mg over a period of 4 months. I did experience a slight increase anxiety and depression I seem to remember but nothing major. Forward 8 years I had only stopped Prozac for a maximum of 3 weeks during all of this time, and each time I restarted or increased the dose I would experience increased anxiety and panic attacks. In 2012 I restarted Prozac after a few weeks off and went through weeks of side effects - insomnia, terrifying panic attacks, I felt electrified and even had my mum stay with me as I was too scared to be left alone.

This time I have been off Prozac for 7 months and restarting it is tough. I've had a few truly horrific panic attacks where I fear I will not survive, realistically I know I am not dying but the fear is so great I feel terrified and that I will not recover. Thankfully I have Diazepam, which I dislike taking but these do help diminish some of the fear. I don't think Pregabalin is doing much at all now, at 400mg a day I know I could increase but I prefer to wait for the Prozac to become effective and then reduce it.

Well done for yesterday, you need days like that to keep you going and to look back on and realise that there is hope. I was supposed to be meeting a friend to go shopping in Exeter yesterday, she's from Wiltshire so we meet somewhere inbetween but I cancelled. I haven't been out of the house since Thursday, the poor dog is wondering what's going on. I'm taking it hour by hour, I feel dizzy, nauseas and panicky when I get up so am spending long periods of time lying in bed, on the sofa or in the garden. I feel ill but know I have to go through this to come out the other side feeling well and it can't come soon enough. I'm not good at accepting that I feel unwell and going with it, my nature is to fight and keep busy.

Hope you're having a good day

Love Sam

SarahH
07-07-13, 18:21
I swear to who ever is up "there" I jinx Andy Murray everytime I turn on the telly he starts playing crap!!!! I have had to turn off the telly now as he has just missed THREE Championship points!!!!!:shades::scared15:

Sam how are you today? Hope your are hanging in there !!!:yesyes:y

I started back on Citalopram before Xmas after a ten month break at 5mgs a day the after a week I put it up to 10mgs. As soon as I did that I started feeling terrible. Waves of what I thought were depression I was told were in fact waves of anxiety. But it was not just that it was sheer terror that I was losing my mind. It became so bad after three days my Dr called the intensive team and prescribed diazepam. The intensive team told me to stop the Cit. But now with hindsight I think I just was taking too big a dose to start with and the fear became too intense. I felt like I was losing my mind and terrified I would do something stupid without knowing it....does that make sense?

Andy Murray just won!!!!!!!!:yesyes::yesyes::yesyes:

I am scared to start taking it again but I think with tiny doses to begin with it might just work.I dont know if you can get 5mgs doses, I cant remember. But I may have to cut the 10mgs into quarters:huh:

:huh:I'm kind off wishing that whilst I was in hospital they had given me Cit as well as pregabalin.....although that may have been too much too handle in one go.

Anyway will speak on the phone with my Dr tomorrow to see if she will prescribe the Cit as I think the sooner the better really:unsure:

Sarah

---------- Post added at 18:21 ---------- Previous post was at 17:59 ----------

Sam just noticed how bad you were on Thursday.....so sorry you had a bad time. But great your husband was there for support.
Those feelings you describe sound like my "terrors" so I know just how scary they are. Funny how mine happened on Thursday morning too!!!!!

Keep strong :hugs:

SarahH
09-07-13, 16:11
So I have not had to take any Lorazepam since the bad episode I had on Thursday. But that was the day I increased my pregabalin to 500mgs a day. Since then I have had little anxiety and what I have had has been worrying about having to increase pregabalin and what will happen when I get to 600mgs and the I still get anxiety....What next !!!

The side effects since the increase have came back....slight drunkeness, so typing this is a nightmare as I keep making mistakes....my concentration and motor skills are terrible.

Also i am bloated.....I mean REALLY bloated....I look pregnant...that is certainly a new side effect for me!!!

I am seeing my Dr on Friday to discuss going back on a small titrated (I think thats right) dose of Citalopram. But now I am thinking why dont I try a different drug..i.e Mirtazipine as it looks like it has the least start up side effects. But on NMP most people say ift makes them put on weight and feel doped up....well I feel like that now!!!!

What to do???????Grrrrrrrr

Mark13
09-07-13, 18:36
Also i am bloated.....I mean REALLY bloated....I look pregnant...that is certainly a new side effect for me!!!
How do you think I felt looking pregnant :)

That said at 4 stone overweight before pregNANTabaline I was looking that way anyway, but the bloating didn't do me any favours.

Fortunately no bloating or munchies with pregabalin, so I'm finding weigh loss easier now.

Hope all you pregabalin fans are doing OK.

Mark

Kells81
09-07-13, 18:42
Hiya, I've just been described pregabalin-75mg at night to begin with.

I'm a bit scared of medication but I'm really going to try and give this a go as there are some really positive comments on here.

Hope everyone is ok xx

SarahH
09-07-13, 20:25
Ha Ha Mark:D I am guessing you mean no munchies on Duloxetine!!!! I hope it's going well for you.
Thing is the munchies have stopped for me and I had lost a bit of weight. Now I have gone up to 500mgs I literally became bloated overnight. It really is incomfortable, particularly in this heat. Did you get swollen hands and feet aswell.

Also glad you have checked this thread. What are your thoughts on Mirtazipine as an add on for me??I would be interested to know what the start up effects were for you and if you think it could be introduced slowly i.e. cutting the tablets?

Kelly. Welcome to pregabalin. I hope it works for you. I can only say that all of us are different and react to the drug differently. We all have various levels of anxiety and pregabalin can work at low doses. You will find the right dose for you. It worked pretty instantly for me but my anxiety was severe (see beginning of this thread for my story).
Ask any questions you like about side effects etc. They are pretty much covered in this thread but you may just need some reassurance. There are others here who have far better knowledge than me and have been taking pregabalin for a lot longer.

take care

Sarah

Tufty
09-07-13, 21:22

I'm not eating more any longer and have lost 7lbs since stopping Mirtazapine but my stomach is still bloated. I'm not very active at the moment due to the Prozac side effects but since being on Pregabalin I've noticed that what goes in doesn't seem to come out in the same quantities if you get my drift.

Colonic irrigation anyone?

Mark13
09-07-13, 21:52
Ha Ha Mark:D I am guessing you mean no munchies on Duloxetine!!!!

Also glad you have checked this thread. What are your thoughts on Mirtazipine as an add on for me??I would be interested to know what the start up effects were for you and if you think it could be introduced slowly i.e. cutting the tablets?

Oops you're right, I meant duloxetine; at least you're on the ball :)

I found mirtazapine and pregabalin to be a good combination, but I was only on 15mg to help me sleep. As they're completely different types of drug there should be no risk of serotonin syndrome AFAIK.

Obviously I'm on 2 ADs now with no problem.

I can't really comment on it as an AD because I've never really given a higher dosage much of a go. I lasted 2 weeks on 30mg before my insomnia came back with a vengeance. It doesn't seem to cause insomnia, it just brought back my usual insomnia - so I dropped back down to 15mg which is more sedating.

To the best of my knowledge mirt is great for depression, but not as good for anxiety / panic.

Happy to be corrected of course.

Oh, and it gives you the serious munchies for a few weeks. I'm still on it now, but dieting fine (got to lose weight to control my diabetes - lost 6lbs in 5 weeks so far, slow but sure and no cravings).

SarahH
10-07-13, 09:48
Thanks guys

Well done to both of you for losing weight:D

And I hope you are both doing well. Sam keep going matey:D

I think the perhaps Mirt is not the one for me as I am not really depressed, but have a low mood I think because of the side effects of the pregabalin. I mean either I am anxious or zonked from the pregabalin and have no energy to do anything. I cant seem to get the balance right :blush::ohmy:

As for the constipation ! yep that can be a problem but if I take a Laxido sachet before bed it seems to do the trick. I yes it was a big problem in the early days.

Mindfulness really is improving. Perhaps I wont need anything else afterall.....watch the space.

Sarah

Kells81
11-07-13, 11:35
Hi everyone-well I took my first 75mg tablet last night.

I took it at 11pm and fell asleep about about 12.15am. At 2.00am I woke up feeling really weird, everything looked really blurry and when I got up to go to the toilet I couldnt walk properly. I felt really dizzy and couldn't walk in a straight line as though I was really drunk. My arms also felt really weird like they were heavy and didn't belong to my body. I also kept having really strange and random thoughts going through my head-as though my brain was tripping-it was horrible.

All of this really freaked me out as I have never really experienced side effects from medication before. I couldn't get back to sleep until 5.30 this morning and that was only because I took 5mg of diazepam.

When I woke up at 9 and then 11 I still felt really weird, my arms and legs feel kind of shaky and weak and I feel so tired.

I really didn't expect the side effects to be this severe, I'm not sure if I want to take anymore now. How long do these woozy strange feelings last for after taking a tablet and will these feelings ever go if I keep taking them?

Sorry if all these questions have already been answered in this thread, I'm feeling too strange to read it all.

hanshan
11-07-13, 11:56
Hi Kelly,

Sorry to hear that your first experience with pregagbalin is less than positive. Based on most cases, the side effects should disappear over one to two weeks. The worst can go within a couple of days.

Hopefully, during that time, you will start to notice positive effects.

Hang in there.

Kells81
11-07-13, 12:11
Hi Kelly,

Sorry to hear that your first experience with pregagbalin is less than positive. Based on most cases, the side effects should disappear over one to two weeks. The worst can go within a couple of days.

Hopefully, during that time, you will start to notice positive effects.

Hang in there.

Thank you for your reply-I think I'm probably dealing with this worse than I should as I've never had side effects before so it has all come as a bit of a shock.

I have emetephobia (fear of being sick) as this is the main reason why I avoid medication. Has anyone experienced vomiting or feeling sick as a side effect? I felt sick last might but I think that might have just been me panicking as I usually get the sick feeling with everything I take (my mind playing tricks on me!)

Sorry I'm being selfish on this thread and not commenting on other posters issues-as soon as I'm feeling a bit better I promise I will start doing this.

SarahH
11-07-13, 15:11
Hi Kelly,

Those drunken side effects are very common. I could not walk in a straight line either or speak without slurring. These will pass after a couple of days on the same dose. I did not feel sick though which, as you said could be your panic reaction. As time went on the side effects eased but my anxiety went almost instantly....we are all different though.

You could ask your GP to give you the smaller 50mgs dose!

Hope that helps

Sarah

Kells81
11-07-13, 15:19
Hi Kelly,

Those drunken side effects are very common. I could not walk in a straight line either or speak without slurring. These will pass after a couple of days on the same dose. I did not feel sick though which, as you said could be your panic reaction. As time went on the side effects eased but my anxiety went almost instantly....we are all different though.

You could ask your GP to give you the smaller 50mgs dose!

Hope that helps

Sarah

Thank you I really appreciate your reply.
I think I could just about handle to drunk feeling if I knew I wasn't going to be sick-but as always I kept saying to myself 'this might make you sick' which just made me feel worse!

I didn't think about this much earlier but I actually feel much less anxious today! I'm not sure if that is because I'm focusing so much on how weird I feel or if it because the tablets are working.

My parents are going away on Saturday morning and won't be back until Sunday afternoon so I think I might not take another tablet until Sunday evening and then start taking everyday. I'm not sure if I want to be feeling that disorientated when I'm home alone, I'm scared I will fall down the stairs or something like that!

Thanks again to everyone who is reading and replying to my comments, I really appreciate all the help. :hugs:

Kelly xx

SarahH
11-07-13, 15:21
Just a little update for you all.

After 5 days on the bigger 500mgs dose I decided to drop it back to 400. I felt SO bloated and full of fluid that it was too uncomfortable. And after thinking long and hard about adding Citalopram I realised I could not risk the start up side effects.
So now I have juggled the doseage around to suit my daily routine as follows; 100mgs 7am,100mgs 1pm and 200mgs 9pm. I have done this the last 2 days and have had NO SIDE EFFECTS AT ALL !!!!:D I also have NO ANXIETY and have not taken valium for 7days......now that is a result!!!!

Dont know if it makes any difference but I have been spending 30mins at day doing Mindfulness as well. Without the "dopey" side effects I seem to have energy to even start decorating.........trust me that is something I do not enjoy ever!
The bloated feeling and water retention has gone and I am not so spaced out. This means my mood has lifted incredibly.

So keep trying all you pregabalers!!

Sarah

Kells81
11-07-13, 15:39
Yeah that is great news Sarah! I am honestly so pleased for you.:flowers:

I have seen so many positive notes about mindfulness, I bought a book called Full Catastrophe Living by Jon Kabat-Zinn which teaches you all about mindfulness, it is a big book but I'm slowly getting through it and this is definitely an area than I plan to practice in future.

SarahH
11-07-13, 15:46
Kelly '

Try Sane New World by Ruby Wax, just out. VERY funny and informative....the best £10 I have ever spent on Amazon.

Sarah

hanshan
12-07-13, 10:41
Hi Kelly,

Hope all is going well.

I think the 'feeling drunk' feeling with pregabalin is related to physical coordination only - it doesn't involve vomiting.

Wanting to vomit if you drink alcohol is related to your body trying to expel a poison, which is not the case with pregabalin.

Be careful, because your mind might associate the two situations if you have emetophobia.

Take care.

SarahH
15-07-13, 13:03
Good news!!

I had my assessment with the Recovery Team (Community Team) today and my new psychologist is in fact my "old" one from three years ago who I had EMDR with:yesyes:
This means I dont have to go over 13 years of my life as she knows it all already. So I just brought her up to date with the last 3 years and she agrees...I need more EMDR for the trauma of being admitted to a psychiatric unit:yahoo:

So next week we begin to tackle my fear of "The Fear".

Sarah

Edward_1980
15-07-13, 13:59
Sarah,

I'm delighted that you are doing good on the Lyrica. Like you, I have been in a Psychiatric ward too, too many times to go into here, but I will say that it did me the world of good and I too felt strange leaving the "Protective environment". I'm currently on 150mg Twice daily. I started a good few months back on 75mg Twice daily and it was eventually upped slowly, Keep with the Lyrica and you will be fine. I wish you the best of luck with everything :)

SarahH
18-07-13, 15:05
I have stabilised on the pregabalin now..

100mg morning
100mgs lunch
200mgs 8pm
7.5 Zopliclone (been on that for 13 years)

I have a clear mind and no side effects that I can think of (or remember...is that a SE?)
I have only taken .5mg of lorazepam in 14 days and that was yesterday when I found out that an old friend of mine died suddenly of a heart attack which freaked me out and made me very sad. He was only 50yrs and VERY fit....just such a shock....but thats another story....

So I feel good regards anxiety........and libido is back...although not as it was it must be said.

Hope all you pregabalers are ok.

Sarah

Mark13
19-07-13, 22:08
Glad to see pregabalin's working so well for you Sarah.

It's always uplifting to come onto these boards and see people improving, especially the regulars.

SarahH
20-07-13, 11:18
So I know this is a little bit weird but..........in this heat my hands and feet are swollen and my legs and arms have a strange tightness. I also feel like it's a little harder to breath. Not breathless as such but tightness in my chest. There are no pains in my chest or anything like that.

Is this the pregabalin water retention causing this?

Kim51
20-07-13, 11:38
Hi Sarah it could be but the extreme heat also causes these symptoms I have always had water retention in the heat if I go abroad my feet and lower legs really swell up big time, and the heat can affect breathing.. Hope this helps :hugs:

SarahH
20-07-13, 11:41
Thanks Kim

It's such a stupid thing to worry about when you are already anxious :doh:

hanshan
20-07-13, 17:00
It's been 30 plus degrees or so today in south-western Japan and my feet and ankles are really swollen. I don't know if the swelling is due to the heat, or the medication, or both, or whether I just feel it more. Nevertheless, it seems more noticeable in summer.

SarahH
20-07-13, 19:22
Hanshan,

Yeah I'm thinking it's a combination too. Last year on the few hot days we had I would get puffy fingers after a long walk. But this year with the pregabalin added it's MUCH worse....feet,legs,hands,lower arms,abdomen. It was a bit cooler here today and guess what far less puffines. :shrug:

SarahH
26-07-13, 15:42
I havent updated for a while so thought I would if anyone is interested:)

There is all GOOD NEWS to report so any new (or old) pregabalin users may be keen to know.

I am still on the 400mgs a day and will stay like this for the foreseeable future. As time has passed (nearly 4 months) I would say any SE's I do have are easily managed.
Sometimes I still feel a bit spacey but I am still able to do nearly everything I want to. In fact I seem to have such a positive attitude that I am very busy.....now that is something I never thought I would say again.
The decorating I started is on hold but only due to the heat!!!!
My sense of humour has returned and the "me" i thought I had lost on this med is still there.
So dont be afraid anyone who thinks the SE's are intolerable at first...with time they will pass. You can also adapt your doseage as I did to help reduce daytime SE's.

My weight has now dropped by cutting out carbs....no bread in this house!! I feel less bloated/water retained.

I rarely have to take any Lorazepam (total of 7.5mgs over the last month) but I am not afraid to take some if all my other strategies fail to stop any peaks in my anxiety i.e. Breathing techniques/Mindfulness/CBT. I DO NOT beat myself up about use of valium on these occasions, this leads to negative thoughts about myself which starts the "fear" cycle and my anxiety returns.

I hope this all helps anyone of you pregabalers.:blush:

Sarah

---------- Post added at 15:42 ---------- Previous post was at 15:33 ----------

:doh:

and I forgot to mention I now see a Clinical Psycologist on a weekly basis and I am starting the EMDR process which worked well for me 3 years ago. This time we are going to tackle the "traumatic" experience of "sudden admission to psychiatric unit" which as a PTSD sufferer becomes another "trauma" which can make the condition worse.

I do think therapy of any kind helps alongside medication.

Thanks for reading

Sarah

Kells81
26-07-13, 18:04
Hiya, sorry I haven't posted for a while-I've been kind of avoiding forums at the moment!

Sarah-it is such great news to hear things are stabilising for you, as someone who is very nervous about taking pregabalin it is also reassuring to hear that the side effects do pass and that it can really help with anxiety.

I started taking my 75mg each night but I didn't take them everyday as I kept freaking out about possible side effects! When I actually took them my side effects really weren't that bad so I think I was just getting myself into a panic about nothing!

I've now decided to take them properly every evening now. I have also been told to take them in the daytime as well but I must admit that I haven't taken them in the day yet as I'm worried the side effects are going to leave me stuck in bed for days as I'm too dizzy to get up and about.

Does anyone have any advice on the best times to take them when you have 2 doses a day? I have my evening one at 10pm at the moment and have no idea when I should take the second dose!

One other query! Do any of you know if we can take ibuprofen when taking pregabalin? I've had a headache for 2 days but don't know what medicication I can take.

You have all been a massive help to me so far so thank you very much!

SarahH
26-07-13, 18:21
Hi Kelly,

Try taking the daytime dose after breakfast. I find if I take it on an empty stomach the SE's
are worse.
75mgs is still quite a small dose so I would think any side effects you do get should be minimal.

I was never told to NOT take ibuprofen....in fact I have been taking Co-codomal when I have had backache so I would think it's OK.

Look on the info that you get with the packet to reassure yourself.
If you work taking the 75mgs in the day may be better to do now so you have the weekend to see "if", and that's a big "IF", you have SE's. I certainly was never "too dizzy" to get out of bed or get on with my life.

Hope it works out for you XX

Sarah

Kells81
26-07-13, 18:25
Thanks so much Sarah-as always you are a massive help!

I hope you continue to see great results and are enjoying your anxiety free life xx

SarahH
26-07-13, 18:33
Glad to help:)

NB: pregabalin is 80% of the answer...the rest is down to Mindfulness/Breathing techniques/CBT....

...and brilliant GP/Psychiatrist

xx

Kells81
26-07-13, 18:45
Oh definitely-I had CBT in the past and thought it was great and I'm hoping when my anxiety is a bit more under control I will be able to start applying those techniques successfully again. I'm also looking into mindfulness but its one of those things I keep forgetting to do!

I've just been referred to the community mental health team and I'm seeing the psychiatrist soon which I hope will mean he can help with my pregabalin dosage.

Xx

SarahH
26-07-13, 18:57
That's great Kelly:)

You may want to read a brilliant book I have read and now use as my "bible"...it's called "Sane New World" by Ruby Wax. A simple,funny, brilliantly written book about Mindfulness and some easy techniques......the best £12 I have ever spent on Amazon.

Sarah

Kells81
26-07-13, 19:08
I bought it about a week ago but have only read a few pages so far! I know what I will be doing tomorrow now though!xx

SarahH
26-07-13, 19:23
:yesyes:

SarahH
30-07-13, 15:23
So I havent updated for a few days which is mainly because there is nothing to report:)

I have really good days, then stupidly push myself a bit and suffer for it the next day.

Also I see a psychologist every Monday and my anxiety flips a bit the next day (like today).

I think it's because we are discussing some difficult issues regarding my feelings about "fear of death" and/or losing my mind. So no matter how happy and well I feel when I go to see her I think it triggers something in me subconciously and my anxiety spikes that evening , I dont sleep well, and I wake with fatigue. Then the anxiety creeps in again.
So today after doing my cleaning I went back to bed for an hour and half and now feel much better.(and .5mgs of Lorazepam)
So I looked at my journal for last week and noticed the same thing happened last Tuesday and the one before that:shrug: Gonna need to watch out for that!!!

Hope everyone else is doing OK!!

Sarah

Kells81
30-07-13, 18:40
It completely makes sense that your anxiety will increase after having a session which brings up painful things. Now you know that it is at trigger maybe you will be able to manage your anxiety better next week without having to take the lorazepam.

It is great news that the medication is sill working for you most of the time though xx

SarahH
30-07-13, 20:12
Hi kelly,

I would say that it works for me all of the time...without it I would still be in hospital. I cannot take all the other drugs designed for anxiety due to the SE's. Pregabalin has been the easiest and most effectives drug for me.

Have you started taking your daytime dose yet??

Sarah

Kells81
30-07-13, 22:13
Nope I'm still being a chicken about the daytime dose!

I'm trying to get myself really comfortable with just taking the evening dose at the moment, I'm still freaking out a bit about getting random side effects from that dose.

I'm such a nightmare with medication!! xx

SarahH
10-08-13, 16:33
So an update.....

I have had some off days since I last updated this thread. There has been some breakthrough anxiety which I dealt with by using .5mg Lorazepam.
But the last 2 days I have not had to resort to valium.
I have been decorating on top of working so feel VERY tired and my muscles ache!! Not sure if that is a side effect or just doing too much.

I think I am probably pushing myself too hard and trying to be as busy as I was prior to hospital.

Monday I see my psychologist and we begin EMDR so I will see what effect that has on my anxiety levels.

Sarah

SarahH
13-08-13, 16:11
Hi,

I dont know whether to post this on another new thread or continue with this one.

Yesterday I had my first "proper" EMDR session.......INCREDIBLE!!

I have had EMDR before three years ago when they used a light box but this time I used headphones and had "bleeps" passing from ear to ear.
It was a very exhausting hour and a half but wow! the anxiety/fear I had regarding "losing my mind/dying" went from 10 out of 10 down to 2!!!!....in one session.
Next week we will deal with the "fear of the inknown" which is keeping me stuck at the 2 out of 10 level.

If you dont know anything about EMDR then please try to look it up on the internet. I cannot reccomend it enough. I feel totally different today with so much less fear about the future. I was so positive this morning that I was thinking about how I could start reducing my pregabalin...........I wont of course as it is far too soon for that.

I will say that so far today I have not felt any "breakthrough" anxiety and so no valium for 3 days. The thing is the anxiety is not even "bubbling" under the surface anymore.

Incredible :yahoo:

Mark13
13-08-13, 23:30
Wow!

So pleased for you Sarah.

Mark

SarahH
21-08-13, 14:37
Just want to update everyone or anyone who may be interested in my story.

I have had two EMDR sessions now both were incredible...emotional....but I just cannot believe the power of the mind and how it works. I use the headphones technique, bleeps going from one ear to the other. I think with EMDR you have to really trust the psychologist and go with it. I found my mind going off to the most vivid memories/thoughts. This last time I found myself looking at myself inside my car crash!!!!! It scared me at first but my psych just gently urged me to "go with the memory" and remember that I was in a safe place and that they were just memories now that needed "processing". It really is mind blowing stuff!!! The day after each session my anxiety is quite bad and I am exhausted but I just also try to remember that this is all for the better. In fact I have reduced my pregabalin to 300mgs I had a little withdrawal from it but nothing that 0.5 mgs of Lorazepam couldn't sort. I wanted to reduce the pregabalin because I wanted to see if I could get rid of the brain "fog" I kept getting...and I have. Dont get me wrong the anxiety is still there sometimes but I feel I am more in control of it which I am convinced is because of the EMDR which is helping me control my fear of not being in control. (does that make sense?) It's very strange because during the last session we were concentrating on my fear and half way through the session I was beginning to think it was'nt working when she asked when I last felt a particular feeling and BAM! my mind was suddenly at my car crash when I was 17 and I was watching myself frantically trying to undo my seatbelt, upside down in the car....something I have NEVER remembered in all these years....powerful stuff eh!

Hope this helps...thanks for reading

Sarah

Kells81
22-08-13, 10:23
Hi Sarah

That is really great news that the EMDR is working for you.

I hope the reduced dose of pregabalin works for you.

It really sounds like things are going in the right direction for you xx

SarahH
22-08-13, 14:19
Thanks Kelly,

it's nice to know "someone" is reading my posts:D

I am going to keep updating this thread as it may be useful to people searching the internet for pregabalin info or EMDR.

Dont get me wrong life is not 100% but then whose is??!!

I have deep rooted fears of death from when I was 17 which I obviously still have not dealt with at the age of 48!!

Hope everyone else is doing well

Sarah

Kells81
22-08-13, 15:34
I always ready your posts and appreciate all your updates!

Life being 100% -I'm not sure that's possible and without the downs we wouldn't appreciate the ups!!

Mark13
22-08-13, 19:03
Thanks Kelly,

it's nice to know "someone" is reading my posts:D
I certainly read them too :)

So glad things are picking up for you.

As I finished pregabalin in April I'm slowly forgetting the side effects I was on so I can't contribute to this board as much as I used to.

Got a different drug regimen today so I'll be haunting those boards now (Mirtazapine & Amitriptyline) :)

All the best to you Sarah - it always nice to see good news on here.

SarahH
23-08-13, 15:46
Thanks Mark:)

SarahH
31-08-13, 11:09
So quick up date for those interested....

after a couple of weeks on the lower dose of 300mgs I realised that I was getting too much "breakthrough" anxiety and my usage of Lorazepam was everyday. It was only 0.5mgs but it was something I did not want to start using too much. I looked back through my journal and noticed that when on 400mgs a day there was very little usage of lorazepam in fact somethimes 6/7 days without. So 4 days ago I put my pregabalin dose back up to 400mgs a day. Hey! guess what I havent used Lorazepam in 4 days.

So my very unscientific study has shown that for me my optimum dose for pregabalin is 400mgs a day. I will stick at this for a few months now (if not for good). It was an experiment that I glad i tried. Yes I feel abit spaced again but it is much better than the anxiety.

So all you guys on low doses dont be afraid to go up to 400mgs it is after all the recommended dose for GAD.

Hope everyone else on pregabalin is doing well:)

Sarah

Tufty
31-08-13, 13:08
That's great news Sarah :yahoo:

That's the great thing about Pregabalin, that you can alter the dose really easily with almost immediate effect and test the drugs effect on you. I think I was best on doses between 350-400mg too, I just gutted that it isn't doing much for me now. If it's working - don't change it, I know you were thinking that the EMDR had reduced your need for medication but it's still early days, your body and brain are still recovering from years of high anxiety, it takes time to re-wire those circuits.

Good to hear you're doing well
Take care
Sam

chl_hobbs
02-09-13, 21:01
Sarah how do u find takin pregabalin AND lorazepam? I am withdawing from lorazepam(currently been takng 0.25mg a couple of times a day.. dr wants me back on pregabalin and slowly come orf lorqz. Im scared of takng both (pregabalin 25mg at first). My anxiety is so bad that my heart hurts and i get awful chest pain. I do get dry blurry eyes on pregabalin is that common?

SarahH
03-09-13, 16:42
Well.....Lorazepam is prescribed for me to use when I have "breakthrough" anxiety. I use it (o.5mgs) when all else has failed to deal with it e.g. Relaxation, minfulness, breathing, distraction. If I still cannot control the terror coming through I take the lorazepam.

You will see on this thread that I recently tried to reduce my Pregablin from 400 to 300 a day but after a couple of weeks I realised I was taking lorazepam every day, albeit a small dose. I upped the pregablin back to 400 a day a week ago and have not needed lorazepam since......so for me that just shows me how pregabalin works on my body. Although they work on different parts on the brain they have the same effect.
Dont worry they can be taken together....especially at the small doses you are talking about.

Sarah

Kells81
04-10-13, 09:41
Hi everyone-hope you are all ok?

I've been taking 75mg in the evening for just over 2 months. It was going quite well, I was sleeping better and not getting my morning anxiety but then suddenly about a week ago I started getting a seriously dry mouth after taking my pregabalin and then all night long. It is so bad it keeps waking me up frequently as my mouth is so dry.

Is it normal to suddenly get a new side effect months after taking it? I don't understand how it can come out of nowhere.

Many thanks

Kelly xx

---------- Post added at 09:41 ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 ----------

It's also a burning feeling in my mouth and throat so I think it might be acid reflux

SarahH
22-10-13, 19:17
I have just noticed that I have not updated this thread for nearly 2 months....so here goes...

Still on 400mgs a day and until a couple of weeks ago I was rarely taking lorazepam as there was virtually no breakthrough anxiety.
I am seeing a psychologist once a week and have 4 sessions on EMDR which have been brilliant.
I have learnt that my anxiety will never go away completely because "anxiety" is normal BUT my catastrophizing is not!!! So now I allow my anxious thoughts to come, acknowledge them, then let them go (mindfulness). I still have a little "fear of the fear" but I am told that with time that will pass.

---------- Post added at 19:17 ---------- Previous post was at 19:03 ----------

.....................A month ago I stopped smoking after 35yrs..................with that came a little increase in anxiety, which I expected and a terrible worsening of my insomnia. My GP advised to take 1mg of Lorazepam with my 7.5mg of Zopliclone at night for a while which seems to have done the trick.
So things are OK generally speaking. At some point in the future I will think about coming off pregabalin....but not yet. I want to be "healed" and completely off the ciggies so maybe next spring:shades:

I will say that pregabalin has removed 95% of my anxiety....the other 5% I have to deal with and learn not let my thoughts spiral out of control.

Love to all

hanshan
26-10-13, 12:26
Great to hear that you are have been able to come off both lorazepam and cigarettes. I've got used to the idea of taking pregabalin indefinitely, but everyone is different, and this may not suit you.

Good luck - you have done well.

SarahH
26-10-13, 20:49
Sorry to disappoint Hanshan but I am still taking Lorazepam :blush:In Fact more so as I cannot sleep so GP has suggested I take it with Zopliclone.....................onwards and upwards though!!

Tufty
26-10-13, 21:03
Good to hear you're doing well Sarah :)
Well done for giving up the cigs, try not to worry about taking the Lorazepam for now, you've come off them before and will do again, sleep is more important.
Love Sam x

SarahH
26-10-13, 21:08
Hi Sam,

Thanks.....how are you on this fine Saturday.............:)?

SarahH
29-10-13, 19:49
Clocks changed in UK on Sat/Sun and my mood had nosedived VERY badly:weep:

This happened last year.......I thought maybe this year would be different....will try to fight it...................no anxiety just very very low....dont know what to do!

Tufty
29-10-13, 21:15
:bighug1:Sarah
That's a sudden nosedive just a short time after the clocks changed, do you think it could be a subconscious reaction because when it happened this time last year it led to a subsequent hospital stay and you're linking the clocks changing/time of year to the start of that episode? Our memories can be unpredictable and spark off unreliable thoughts and anniversaries of distressing times can cause low moods Try to remember the facts - you are so much better than you were, the Pregabalin is helping with your anxiety, you cannot go back to how you were 9 months ago as you've learnt and grown since then and this low mood will pass as it always does.

And stop the fighting too :mad: remember your mindfulness. Your emotions are a result of your feelings, thoughts, memories and external factors - you cannot change all of these things. Accept this is how you feel at the moment and treat yourself with compassion rather than fighting against how you feel. You'll get through this, it's just a blip.

Just remembered you've given up smoking too - are you taking anything to help with this? as some of those meds can cause a low mood.

Love Sam x

SarahH
29-10-13, 21:31
Thank you Sam,

You could be right....I was worried about the winter approaching and the clocks changing after last year....but the drop has been so sudden on the last two days it's scary!!!
I have been trying to keep busy and walked in the sunshine this morning....but I just dont know what else to do.
Just in case this is "anxiety" again I took an extra 100mgs of pregabalin this evening.
I see my GP on Thursday (about another matter)and have a Psych Appmt next week (a review)

Very confused:scared15:

But I will take your advise Sam...thanks

---------- Post added at 20:31 ---------- Previous post was at 20:29 ----------

....oh and still not smoking...5 weeks 2 days!

SarahH
31-10-13, 16:43
Feeling so much better after my blip earlier in the week:doh:

I have not increased the pregabalin and have taken Tufty's advice (thanks I needed reminding).

I have kept busy and when negative thoughts have entered my mind I have turned them into positive ones.

Still not smoking and no use of lorazepam this week for sleep :yahoo:

The clocks changing has still upset my status quo...but I am now confident this will pass.

Onwards and upwards!

Dazzlar13
31-10-13, 16:45
Congratulations on how well you seem to be doing really well on these :D

I hope I can do as well and knock all the 'sleep aids' on the head...

SarahH
31-10-13, 16:52
Dazzlar,

i still have to take 7.5mgs of Zopliclone for sleep ...i have been on them many years for insomnia BUT pregabalin will help you sleep when you are on the right dose.

Sarah

Tufty
31-10-13, 20:33
Good to hear Sarah, you've done really well giving up the cigs too.
I'd just written onwards and upwards on my last post too :)
Sam

Her Indoors
04-11-13, 14:39
Hi Sarah,

Could I please ask you a question. I had my Pregabalin increased from 200 mg to 300 mg last Thurs (3lst Oct), have had a few good days but now have really bad anxiety/depression again. Do you think this isn't working for me, or do I need a higher dose? I am had such high hopes, but now I am afraid nothing will work for me.

Thank you so much.

J xx

SarahH
04-11-13, 14:55
Well I am not a Dr ...BUT I would up the dose to 400mgs, which is the recommended dose for anxiety.....in fact the dose can go up to 600mgs!!! I am on 400mgs a day. I have read that studies have shown that anything between 400-600mgs does not make any difference but it is worth a try!!!

Dont give up on pregabalin yet!:) It really has been a god send for me

Sarah

Her Indoors
04-11-13, 15:00
Thank you for replying Sarah, sorry to hijack your thread, but am getting desperate, as you can probably tell.

I will ask for an increase if they will let me.

Best wishes and am glad the Pregabalin works for you. It also gives me some hope.

J xxx

SarahH
04-11-13, 17:46
So today I started off by waking to a little anxiety/maudlin feeling. As I start to wake I feel great but as I come through that foggy haze of sleep into fully awake my mood changes....I try to go back into a deeper sleep but my mind wont let me....it's like "BAM" your awake!!!!! Now here's reality :mad: So I get up, walk my dog for an hour in the countryside with some dogwalking chums, home breakfast, shower and off to work for the morning cleaning other peoples toilets:wacko:
I listen to my Ipod whilst working so can get sucked into any
"concert" i want...today I was at a Billy Joel"concert" (practice for the real one on Friday). I then come home and do my own chores and have a quick look on NMP.
Today I then sat feeling low and fed up with the world.............so I MADE myself go out with my dog into the sunshine and walk.............
.........now I have to explain I am very, very lucky in that I live on the edge of a small town in Wiltshire and 100yds from my front door I can step into a field which is on the edge of the River Avon. I walk looking at a picture postcard view of English countryside in autumn. The fields are full of grazing sheep and to my left in the distance is woodland in all it's colourful glory. Through 3 fields with the river to my left reflecting the woodland over a little footbridge into a another woodland (my own arboritum:yesyes:) and on up to the canal towpath for half a mile. Walking in the warm sunshine taking in all my surroundings, smells, sights........really "looking" at everything.......then I pinch myself, because I am SO lucky to have this on my doorstep. The only thing that is missing is a beach :D
I walked for an hour and used my "mindfulness" to stop me feeling and thinking negatively............it really works for me.And a big thumbs up for pregabalin of course!

Sarah

Kells81
04-11-13, 18:08
Hi Sarah

A huge well done for being able to get on with things even when you felt anxious. You could have stayed at home and worried about how you felt which would have made things worse but instead you went out and got through it.

:emot-cheering::yahoo:

Her Indoors
05-11-13, 10:44
Hi Sarah,

Very well done you, getting out and about and it sounds fantastic. You sound so positive. Glad to hear the Pregabalin is working for you. Fingers crossed for me.

Best wishes.

J xxx:)

Tufty
05-11-13, 11:30
Great post Sarah, it's good to hear that you're using mindfulness in your everyday life. It's a lesson for all of us, I believe it works but I'm struggling to turn off the mind chatter at the moment :mad: but I did drink half a cup of camomile tea mindfully this morning, the other half was agitatedly drunk.

I try to walk mindfully with my dog and I normally find it easier in the autumn. I like to listen to the noises the leaves make underfoot, the wind in the trees, watch the leaves falling - sounds very romantic doesn't it! I find it more difficult to still my thoughts in the heat and stillness of summer.

SarahH
05-11-13, 18:07
Thanks all....................I appreciate that not everyone on NMP is feeling well at the moment. But I just want people to stay positive................it wasn't long ago I was a gibbering wreck. There are still moments in my day when I have a wobble,which could become a full blown attack...but I am now able to check those moments and stop them in their tracks if you know what I mean. I dont think Pregabalin gave me a 100% "cure". It gave me 70% and I have with a combination of therapies given myself another 25%................yep there is still 5% that is not cured and never will be. That is the 5% which will prevent me from resting on my laurels.:noangel:

hanshan
06-11-13, 13:02
Hi Sarah,

It's true for me, and I think for a lot of people, that after the initial buzz of feeling so much better, you realise that pregabalin isn't a 100% answer - there's still anxiety, maybe not all the time, but part of the time.

For me, if it's not major and only for part of the day, I'm prepared to accept it and try to deal with it as best I can (at least until something better comes along). It's still so much better than how I was before.

Good luck. Stay in touch, we're travelling in the same boat, and can maybe swap notes on the best place to be.

Dazzlar13
06-11-13, 14:37
I dont think you need to apologize for posting a positive thread. It provides a lot of hope for people and it has helped me for sure :-)

SarahH
07-11-13, 18:57
Ok so today I had another milestone in my road to recovery which I would like to share with you all.................
I had an appointment with my Clinical Psychologist and Consultant Psychiatrist. This was to "round-up" my treatment/medication so far i.e. since my release from hospital in April.
We discussed my EMDR and it's success and my methods to deal with my "chronic" anxiety. i.e. Mindfulness, CBT, checking my negative thoughts and any other "tools" in the box I can use in the future to prevent anymore acute attacks of anxiety.
We then discussed pregabalin, it's efficacy for me, side effects, whether it will stop working, when I can reduce the dose and eventually come of it.
So he said he has not come across any patients where pregabalin has stopped working, but stated that he has only been using it for the treatment of GAD for 2/3 years. He thinks I should now reduce the dose to 300mgs a day and if I want to try taking it in one dose in the evenings it may be possible to reduce my zopiclone as the pregabalin makes me sleepy 2/3 hrs after taking it, so I could try to use that to my advantage. BUT I was not to worry about it too much and if I find that my anciety gets worse in the afternoons then go back to splitting the dose and go back up to 400mgs if my anxiety returns.
Also I should stay on pregabalin for a couple more years before tapering off over 2/3 months when I am ready to come off it.
IF (and that's a big IF) the pregabalin stops working (I said I needed reassurance that there is a "plan") he said there are still other drugs that I can try and because I have such severe reactions to SSRI,SNRI and tricyclics there are still others like Mirtazapine and Trazadone which could be titrated in small doses but my GP could refer me back to a Psych IF this should happen in the future. I am not to worry about being "left with no support" as now I have been "in the system" i would quickly be looked at should I have another "melt down" (my words:))
The intrusive thoughts which I sometimes still get he tells me will pass with time as I recover and to let the "thoughts" go as "just thoughts".

So I have a "plan" which I always need:wacko:

I have now been discharged from the Recovery Team:scared15: I am told this is "positive".......but still a bit scary for me!!!

Something lovely happened when I went to the building, which is the local Community Mental Health services..............I walked in to reception and bumped into the Senior CPN who was at the Psych Unit that I went to. He is now working as a community CPN after 10 years in the Unit. I got on really well with him and never thought I would see him again. It was lovely to get a big bear hug from him (his wife worked at the Unit as well and was my CPN:winks:).....
So I am feeling good and positive about the future........................tomorrow I will drive up the motorway to Birmingham to stay with a very close friend from my school days. We are going to see Billy Joel in concert at the NEC and I will stay till Sunday catching up with her and her family. This is my first time in a year that I have driven up to stay with her................the last time I had to come home early because my anxiety took over:doh:

So here goes:yahoo:

Tufty
07-11-13, 20:43
That's great news Sarah, both the support you've received from your MHT and your plans for the weekend. Being discharged is a positive though I understand your uneasiness going it alone, I guess it's normal but it's good that you have a plan should you ever need support in the future. So you can put this episode behind you now and move on with your life :yahoo:
I wish you a brilliant weekend - I hope Billy Joel sings More than a Woman to Me! If he does pretend your me so I can virtually be there!

Speak next week
Love Sam

Dazzlar13
07-11-13, 22:12
Well done Sarah :)

hanshan
08-11-13, 07:41
Hi Sarah,

I hope you have a great time at the concert.

I've been taking pregabalin (combined with mirtazapine) for around three years now (although it feels like forever). As I said above, it's not always 100% effective, so I don't feel bulletproof, but at the same time it's kept working, and I feel much, much better than I have in years.

I also take my pregabalin in one dose in the evening, because mornings tend to be my low point. I have a natural mood improvement through the day.

Take care, and enjoy Billy Joel (I believe he's a survivor of depression).

SarahH
11-11-13, 15:12
Well what a great weekened!!!

Very busy, which normally causes anxiety but it didn't:D
Billy Joel....brilliant as I expected, Saturday Imax cinema to see the new film Gravity (massive screen and tense film which I thought would trigger anxiety- but it didn't!!). The into a VERY busy Indian restaurant for a curry....still no anxiety!!!.
Evening in, late night......................didn't sleep well either night, which can also trigger anxiety....................BUT it didn't. Sunday morning chilling out, early roast, drive home, back by 5pm. The at 6pm off to noisy family meal ..home at 9pm.

Now at this point I am expecting to "crash" with anxiety/stress from a very busy weekend (for me at least). This morning I was up as usual walking the dog at 7.30 and although a little tired I feel really good!!!!!:D

I did not take my morning dose of pregabalin today and instead I am going to try an take my meds in one hit this evening and try the reduced dose suggested by the psych last week. If I take 300mgs at 7pm I am hoping the sleepy side effect will kick in at 10pm and help me sleep:unsure:

Hope every one else is feeling OK today

Sarah

Oh yeah ....and still off the fags....7 weeks now (not that I am counting:whistles:)

hanshan
12-11-13, 06:12
Hi Sarah,

Well done, it sounds like a weekend to remember. I hope the changed pregabalin dose works well. You can always keep the extra 100 mg as back-up for the morning or in the night.

SarahH
24-11-13, 21:19
Well just I little up date...I am sorry to have to report but I had a VERY bad day after not smoking for 8weeks!!! I then started again on about 5 a day and have been beating myself up over it ever since:doh::mad:. I had been feeling SO much better in myself, but had a bad day and was feeling very low so went to my friends with a bottle of wine and a pack of ten..........................:shrug:

So tomorrow I will be stopping smoking (again). ....here goes!

hanshan
26-11-13, 10:31
Good luck with it. Relapses are common, but every day is a new day and a new start.

jeffmann65
16-12-13, 19:33
HI IVE JUST STARTED pregabalin FOR LEG PAIN IVE HAD GAD FOR A
BOUT 15 YEARS NOW AND IVE BEEN READING REVIEWS ABOUT pregabalin FOR GAD CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW LONG THAY TAKE TO WORK ??? I ALSO TAKE 20MG VALIUM WICH I HATE.... IVE HAD A LOOK ONLINE AND LOTS OF VERY GOOD REVIEWS ABOUT pregabalin I JUST HOPE TO GOD IT WORKS AS IVE BEEN LOCKED IN MY OWN HEAD FOR FAR TO LONG AND I AM DYING JUST TO THINK NORMAL JUST FOR ONCE ANY HELP WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED I AM ON 150 MG A DAY BEEN ON THEM FOR ABOUT 5 DAYS NOW

hanshan
17-12-13, 13:25
Hi Jeff,

Pregabalin can start working from almost immediately (a couple of hours) to around 1 - 4 weeks after first taking it. You may also need a higher dose than 150 mg per day - but its effectiveness peaks around 400 - 600 mg per day. All this should settle for you in the first few weeks of taking it, and you can decide then whether it's working for you.

Good luck with pregabalin.

SarahH
18-12-13, 13:16
So the change of dose did not work (down to 300mgs) and after a chat with my GP I have decided to go back to 400mgs a day (200 morning 200 evening). I dont think it helps being in the winter months when my mood drops dramatically!!!
We agreed that it will be better to carry on with 400 a day until the spring when my mood lifts naturally. I am still smoking but only about 10 a day (down from 25)

I still think pregabalin is the best medication for me and works 95% of the time, with the occasional 0.5 mgs of Lorazepam in an emergency.

Merry Christmas everyone out there :)

Sarah

SarahH
15-01-14, 19:00
Just an update....................

After a month of creeping anxiety alongside side effects of pregabalin I have decided to try to go back on Citalopram:shrug: I have become a little depressed because of the pregabalin side effects and the anxiety together, which have left me exhausted all day.
I have become withdrawn, irritable and scared of the future.

This has been a difficult decision but after talking to my GP we think it is the best way forwards.

Pregabalin has been great for me, really. But for some people it can stop working. I am not saying that it has stopped working completely but my anxiety has started creeping through again. These winter months are never good for me anyway.
My thoughts are that for 10/11 years Citalopram kept me stable.............I then came off it and felt great for 10 months. When the winter months came the anxiety grew and I tried to go back on Cit but the start up side effects were too much to cope with (5mg for one week then 10mgs for 3 days). I know that I am sensitive to drugs so with hindsight the dose was too much too soon.
My GP and I have agreed that I will start on 2.5mgs (cutting a 10mgs tablet into quarters) Citalopram for 2 weeks and then if all is going well up to 5mgs on week three. Eventually up to 10mgs. This is a dose that previously kept me well. I will carry on with 400mgs of pregabalin and use Lorazepam to counter the start up side effects of Citalopram. The long term goal ( 3months) is to get the Cit into my system and then come off pregabalin and lorazepam.

I have a plan which is positive and I am clinging on to that. This will be a bumpy ride for the next few months but at least I have realised early on that I need to try a different medication.
If the Citalopram does not suit me then my GP is going to speak to the Psychiatrists about other options.

Sarah

Kells81
15-01-14, 21:40
Hi Sarah

Sorry to hear things haven't worked out with Pregabalin. What side effects we're you getting than made it too much to cope with?

I have days when my anxiety starts to come back a bit as well but I usually find that after a week or so the pregabalin starts to work for me again.

Kelly xx

nicola1980
15-01-14, 22:03
Hi Sarah, good luck going back on the cit, its a really great med for anxiety and panic and kept me stable for years, unfortunately i couldn't reinstate it as i couldn't tolerate it anymore, keep posting to let us know how you get and and we can support you x x

SarahH
16-01-14, 19:18
Thanks Kelly and Nicola,

I am very sensitive to meds and am hoping that I will be able to tolerate Cit again. It's the start up SE's which I struggle with so this time I am starting with 2.5 mgs a day for 1 week and then if I cope with that I will up it to 5mgs and so on until I reach 10mgs. That was the dose I was on for 10 years and it kept me stable.

As for the Pregabalin .......I have decided that the break through anxiety is occurring far too often ( a daily basis) and I was using lorazepam every day. This is not for me tolerable. In fact because I felt so exhausted from Pregabalin I was just "existing" rather than "living" my life. After a few hours cleaning every morning (my job) I was so tired I was taking nap by 2pm then cooking tea and in my PJ's by 7pm. I really want to go out a couple of evenings a week and be social but I have no energy to do that, which in turn is making me a little depressed. Now I realise that anxiety can make people tired aswell but I feel that for me it is a bit of both, anxiety and pregabalin.

We are all different and find different ways to cope with our mental health problems. I am hoping that going back on Cit I can get back to how I was a couple of years ago...balanced:) Once that Cit is in my system I will gradually come off Pregabalin and Lorazepam......................I have a "plan":D

Sarah

Kells81
16-01-14, 21:30
Hi Sarah

Pregabalin makes me feel very tired as well. I'm only on 75mg a day but I could sleep all day if I wanted to and it takes a huge effort to get myself up and doing things.

It is great you have a plan in place-that usually helps to see a light at the endof the tunnel and also gives you smaller stages to reach bit by bit.

I really hope it all works out for you, you have given me lots of advice in the past about pregabalin so I want to say a huge thank you about that.

Lots of luck xx

SarahH
17-01-14, 17:16
Kelly thanks,

Good luck with pregabalin....it really did do wonders for me and get me out of a dark place. However I was able to put up with the SE's as long as the anxiety was licked but it's too hit and miss for me now.
I will still be on this thread as I am still on pregabalin for now, just adding Cit. When the Cit is in my system I will start to withdraw pregabalin and keep a note of what happens. It may be useful for anyone needing info'.

Sarah

SarahH
21-01-14, 14:36
Update.

I thought I would stay on this thread for the moment as I am still on pregabalin.
I have been taking 2.5mgs of Cit and i dont care what any medical professional says I can feel the difference already.
Seriously 30 minutes after taking the first dose I could feel a tingling in my brain...and hour and a half later I experienced the most bizarre derealization:wacko: this lasted 2 hrs. My heart rate has dropped and sometimes it is uncomfortable as it flip flops all over the place. By day 3 on this low dose (remember I am VERY VERY sensitive to drugs) I could feel my brain changing and the deep low mood I have been suffering from started to lift.......I know what you are all thinking it's the placebo effect!!!! But I really think it is not.......I can feel sensations in my head just like the sensations when I was withdrawing from Cit 3 years ago. The side effects come on 2 hrs after I take my quarter of a tablet.
I am not there yet completely with my mood lifting and I shall continue on this dose until the SE's disappear...then go up to 5mgs.

Sarah

relda
22-01-14, 21:17
Pregabalin makes me very tired as well I take 450mg. Can't think how is even work like this. Xxx

SarahH
01-03-14, 21:52
So I have been over on the Citalopram thread but thought I would still update on this
one too!
I have had 21 days on 2.5 mgs and 19 days on 5 megs. I will up the dose tonight to 7.5mgs as I want to get up to 10mgs in total.
I still take pregabalin (400mgs). I feel a lot better. Pregabalin was a life saver for me last year and I would still recommend it to anyone with severe anxiety.
I will keep posting my story on here as I hope it has been of use to some.

Sarah

SarahH
21-03-14, 19:56
So 3 weeks down the line from my last post and I have upped to 10mgs of Citalopram. This is my "therapeutic" dose which I was on for 10yrs before.

I will stay like this for another couple of weeks then start reducing pregabalin. I will probably star a new thread for the pregabalin reduction as it may help others in my situation.

Sarah

SarahH
28-03-14, 17:06
So after a year on pregabalin I am going to start a slow withdrawal from it. Why?
Weld at Xmas I realised I was a) getting a bit depressed and b) my anxiety was coming through a little again so I decided that the SE's of pregabalin did not out way benefits I.E. anxiety had returned. I decided to titrate Citalopram upwards as this was a drug that I benefitted from for 11 yrs previously.
I am now up to 10mgs of Cit. Which is a therapeutic dose fro me. Depression lifted and start up Se's gone.
So it is not confusing I am going to start a new thread called "Pregabalin Withdrawal".

Good luck everyone on pregabalin it was brilliant for me a year ago when I was in a pretty bad place!

sarah

kevman
14-10-15, 21:52
hi all im kev and after a year or so ive been told ive got ptsd on top ov my anxiety and ive been give loads ov different meds t help with it but non of tjem have worked ..i was told about pregabalin and bought some on the internet and it was the best move ive made but they are expensive so ive asked my doc to prescribe me them and he sais he cant??? why is this?? he sais there very addictive and hes not allowed to just prescribe them..wtf!! hes a bit ov a jerk in some ways and tends not to listen to me ..do i need a new doc?? and is pregabalin that addictive?? as wen i havent had them for ..say 5 days ive had no craving/withdrawel

MyNameIsTerry
14-10-15, 23:11
Pregabalin is blacklisted in Buckinghamshire. It's not in many other regions but it's expensive so some GPs seem to try to dissuade patients from it. It's not addictive but it's not prescribed to patients with a history of substance abuse due to the abuse potential.

Did your GP explain to you that this is classed as a Prescription Only Medication (POM) hence it can't be sold without a prescription in the UK and buying it to have it imported to the UK is illegal? Customs can seize it if they spot it so please be careful. POMs aren't as illegal as importing Benzodiazapenes though which are also classed as a controlled drug.

hanshan
15-10-15, 11:24
Hi Kevman,

It seems you have been told a lot of things - which of it is true?

If a doctor said you had post-traumatic stress disorder and anxiety, they should have given you a prescription.

Who told you about pregabalin? In what context? Obviously not a doctor, or they would have given you a prescription.

Please understand that this is a forum for people who are legitimately prescribed medications.