PDA

View Full Version : Bad bad day

Ihatesnow
12-04-13, 20:43
Woke up feeling off but got the bins out picked up some food, then it all went downhill. Husband rang asking some basic stuff about some tax paperwork I'd done for him and I just felt an immediate rush of not being able to cope. Blood pressure straight through the roof - basically feeling like death. Had to hang up and staggered to bed trying to calm down with breathing and self-hypnosis! Failed miserably with that could just feel my bp getting higher by the sec. Luckily my usually uncaring better half rang back. After a few minutes of me sobbing incoherently down the phone he came straight home (again very un characteristic).
Have Ativan for just such occasions although I've always been to scared to try them - I know- pathetic right? Took 1/2 a tablet and 20 minutes later bp back to normal and anxiety although not gone massively reduced.
I've been dithering for a week about whether to start prozac - what if they make me more anxious then my bp will go through the roof? Anyway gonna take the plunge - cannot go on like this anymore. Hope you all will think good thoughts for me and wish me luck. I'll let you all know how it's going and feel happier knowing I have the Ativan as a safety net!

aggiecuttler
14-04-13, 13:53
hello i feel your pain its very hard to cope with depression and anxiety, i would start the prozac its difficult to begin with but once it kicks in you will have a different mind set, and you will feel better able to cope with situations, and you will have less stress about your BP, we are all on here to help others through and its important to get back on track having your other half there is important support is essential i hated being on my own am now able to be at home by myself on week 5 of tablets fluoxtine so give it some thought but the tablets will help you in the long term even though the first few weeks are a struggle good luck catherine

Ihatesnow
14-04-13, 19:53
Hi Catherine
Thanks so much for your kind words and advice. Well things were steadily going downhill - I'm not normally depressed but the enormity of all the symptoms was getting to me in a major way so I took the plunge. Day 1 on prozac today. Took half an Ativan as was already in such a state before I took the prozac I thought they'd be carting me off unless I calmed down. I know it's a bit of a failure there as wanted to be just on the prozac but what the hell I'll do what I have to to get through.

Are you feeling the benefits of it at all? I hope so! I'm originally from darlington in County Durham and as all my family still are in England it's so hard having nobody good to rely upon here (although I have a fantastic neighbour and a sometimes good other-half). Anyway here's hoping for the best for both of us!!:yesyes:

OncewasSupergirl
14-04-13, 20:04
Hi ihatesnow,

I'm week 15 nearly and have suffered from anxiety/dperession on/off all my adult life (I'm 36 now) all I can say is Prozac has been the best med I've ever taken to help me cope n I've tried a few! First few weeks are tough but after 2 weeks I started to see a difference. Taking the Ativan isn't a failure so please don feel like that. You will need it at the start to help you cope with any side effects you may have. There is lots of help, advice n support on here so post as much as you need, however silly you might think the question is, usually someone has an answer or can relate so at least you don't feel alone. X x

Ihatesnow
15-04-13, 00:37
Thanks so much for the words of encouragement - they really do mean a lot to me. It's such a relief to have a great site like this filled with people who have gone or are going through the same thing. Hopefully I'll be able to manage

Princess2206
15-04-13, 10:26
Hi Ihatesnow:)
I am 18 weeks on this medication. 7 weeks on 20mg and 11 weeks on 40mg. They helped me a lot!!! In December last year I was really bad without hope I can be normal again but now I feel so much better :) first weeks can be difficult but if you have Ativan you will be fine :) take care and keep posting :)

Ihatesnow
15-04-13, 12:38
Good to hear you're both doing so well on it. I'm keeping everything crossed that it works as well for me. Everyone back at work/school today so it's just me on my lonesome but feeling quite positive so far ... Sun is shining and snow has nearly melted so all is good.

Again a huge thank you to you all for your messages - they really make me feel good.

Ihatesnow
15-04-13, 20:16
Well day 2 has gone well! Only mild anxiety NO ATIVAN required and no obvious side effects!! My better half announced today that he's working away for 2 days this week, leaving tomorrow, so feeling a bit stressed about that but trying not to think ahead too much. Will try to plan something nice with my daughter to take my mind off it.

Ihatesnow
16-04-13, 13:25
Ok so day 2 didn't end well - I started reading about people's experiences with side effects and lots of people saying prozac doesn't even help for anxiety, which then caused an anxiety attack in me. Was just lying in bed crying, cos if this doesn't work, what am I gonna do? So last night decided to stop prozac but in light of day I now I've gotta give it a chance. Lesson learned do NOT read about other people's experiences and side effects - no good will come of it!

Magic
16-04-13, 13:39
I hate snow. Years ago I was given ativan and they suited me very well.
My then GP retired. The new GP would not precribe them, in fact none of the GPs
in the practice will precribe ativan.
I was given diazapam and they were ok , but then a particular Gp would not give me any more. I was panic stricken, so I went to a new GP that had just joined the practice and she priscribed libriam. On long term .
I have taken many different antidepresants, but can do without at the moment.
(had loads of weight gain)
The only one I have not tried is prozac.
Take care

Ihatesnow
16-04-13, 14:20
Thanks magic am persevering and determined not to give into the fear. Have hypnotherapy this morning so that should calm me down some!

OncewasSupergirl
16-04-13, 21:57
Ihatesnow,

Prozac is prescribed for anxiety/depression it wouldn't be if it didn't work for some people. All I can say is its worked for me. Ativan is a benzo n you can't take them long term due to dependency issues so you have to give the Prozac a chance to work. Keep us posted x x

Ihatesnow
16-04-13, 23:49
Hi oncewas supergirl, I'm really trying not to rely on the Ativan - that's really my just in case I really really need it, as am terrified of becoming addicted. Hypnotherapy was great - was nice and relaxed and learnt some good tools for coping better. Have been really sleepy all day so guess I may need to switch and take prozac in evening rather than morning. Also anxiety seems to be hitting me in the evening but so far I'm managing to keep a lid on it. Just feel a bit down but gonna do some deep breathing and try a bit of self-hypnosis and hope for the best. Feeling lonely so thanks for the kind words x

ChristopherT
17-04-13, 12:43
Hi I hate snow.

Yes, I kinda explained to my doctor about depression, anxiety, and panic attacks..
I said I wanted something for the anxiety and depression. A friend I know takes an anxiety pill when he needs to *Public speaking at work... And anyway i thought something like that might help. The doc seemed reluctant to offer somethings, as I guess he thought they were more harm then good, maybe because they were addictive... Anyway in the end, he seemed okay recommending Prozac. I figure it's old, but since I was reading something about it, I thought it must be a good sign.

I wonder if you get sleepy, is there something you could have like a caffeinated drink to perk you up, or would that be worse for the anxiety? Listening to self hypnosis stuff seems to help at first for me, but after a while, listening to the same recording again and again I get bored and it doesn't have such a strong effect, but I guess everything helps.

Ihatesnow
17-04-13, 13:06
Hi Christopher T,
Who knows what helps - I think it all helps a bit but just not enough! Had crappy evening and now awake feeling rubbish. Gotta say not really enjoying the prozac experience. Anyway have got called in to see my endocrinologist - which just never happens in Canada so god knows whats up there. Will see what she thinks about prozac as seems to be messing with blood sugars!
Hope your feeling good!
Susan

Ihatesnow
17-04-13, 21:56
No more prozac for me as it is causing my blood sugars to be unstable (I am a type 1 diabetic). Have been given a beta blocker to take as needed, as my episodes relate primarily to Pms and last for 8 days with some residual lingering anxiety. So many doctors, so little clue what they're doing!

ChristopherT
18-04-13, 03:36
Oh, in that case. Hopefully the Beta Blockers will do the trick! Good luck

Magic
18-04-13, 11:50
Hope you go on ok with bet blocker. I was given some not long ago was told to take one, two, or three a day. Surely medication should be continuous with a proper dosage every day to work properly!! Just don't know what to think about these
instuctions. When I went to see GP the next time about something else the beta blockers were not mentioned, so I did not ask for more. Beggars belief!!!!

Ihatesnow
18-04-13, 14:01
Hi Christopher t - am sort of a bit cheesed off with one doctor giving me something and another stopping it and giving me something else! God almighty it's not rocket science.

Magic - yeah I know when I read online it said take continuously but as doc explained it they will work just by slowing heartbeat etc down when feeling panicked so don't really have to take them all the time unless you have another reason to do so. Also they work within an hour or so. May as well give it a go!
Hope you are both well!

Susan

Magic
18-04-13, 16:11
I hatesnow,
I tried taking the tablets for a couple of days, but they made me worse!!
very aggressive. It may have been the tablets, or something else maybe--ME.
My husband takes them and he is ok with them and has been taking a regular
dose every day for a couple of years now.
What suits one person may not suit another.
As you say give give it a go!!!
All the best :hugs:

OncewasSupergirl
18-04-13, 17:23
I had Beta-blockers years ago for anxiety but all they did was make me tired n exacerbate my Raynauds Syndrome, didn't feel they did much for my anxiety x

Ihatesnow
15-05-13, 03:32
Well just a quick update. Doctor prescribed celexa aka citalopram but I wasn't keen to take them after reading implications for heart problems. Anyway been managing with cbt, hypnosis and acceptance - when I feel anxious I say to myself 'hello come on in I know u well' sounds corny but have had great 3 weeks with only 1 Ativan and more acceptance rather than panic. I do still feel anxious but I don't dwell on it so much, am keeping really busy even though its NOT always easy and making myself do something every day that I don't really want to do. I'm not against medication but I do want to beat this on my own and remind myself every day that its not pleasant but it's not dangerous! For now it seems to be working!! Hope you're all making progress however you can!

ChristopherT
15-05-13, 12:25
Hey hey,

That's good that you are doing it on your own. I think if you can get away with it that's the best way. For me I have done that in the past, but this time, I just had too much panic/anxiety/depression and the road I was on was not good for me... But that was a lot of external things adding to that for me. If you have it within you to get through it, with what you've mentioned then all the best for it I say.

Doctors are still not exactly sure how Prozac does what it does, so I guess it can be complicated to work with, especially with all the mixed reactions. Some describe it as "tuning" , or "repairing the engine", of one's brain. I guess this time you were lucky to be able to start the car and run it okay on your own, which is better, though some will wish eventually wish they had theirs tuned earlier (-probably me when I look back on this).

Ihatesnow
15-05-13, 22:59
Thanks Christopher T. Wouldn't say I'm cured but the cbt and hypnosis have really helped me to deal with it all so that I don't just focus on how I feel all the time. I still jump out of my skin if I hear a loud noise etc so I think I have an underlying high level of anxiety. I know exactly what you mean about having just too much panic, anxiety etc to go it alone! I had two lots of really bad news in January which I think pushed me sort of over the edge. Maybe I'm coping much better because I've adjusted to these (a death and a serious illness in my close family). I'm just hoping to continue getting better and honestly at the moment I'm keeping myself soo busy I don't have time to panic!! How are you getting on with the prozac? I really hope you're feeling much better although you seemed to be keeping busy even with your problems. Your stories really helped me to get off my backside and get back out there and start living again!

ChristopherT
16-05-13, 07:38
Yes. I know what you mean, in a lot of what you say... Before things started to pile, a good old friend of me's mother died. But I found out, months after the fact. I said had it been me, I would have been on anti depressants, not long after saying that I decided I needed antidepressants.

But I tell myself I don't have much anxiety when I go out, but I guess that's a kind of tall tale. Because similarly to you, I went out before, and there was a woman just around the corner, when I went around the corner, and we both jumped out of skin. So I think I am still on edge sometimes.

But with the weekend, and going out, I find myself more relaxed socializing definitely. Once I can calm myself down, with some music, a drink and whatever, I seem to be fine. That being said, I'm invited to a house party this weekend.. The last time I went i got a bit nervous.. It's a bit different, because people are a little bit more personal, in their conversations I think, and my personal life is not something to brag about right now.

At the moment, I'm shaking the depression, I can feel the seemingly innocent little depressive/negative thoughts lingering around like a black crow, but i'm just trying to ignore them, because if I pay to much attention, i know I could fall down.

So I guess I'm good with it, just trying to improve as much as I can.

Glad to hear you started living again, make sure you keep it up!!

Ihatesnow
17-05-13, 02:57
I find the build up to something worse than actually doing it, so I'm sure you will go to your party and have a great time and wonder what all the fuss is about. I also used to sort of fight the anxiety and panic, but now I just say to them 'come on in, if you're going to be around we better be friends' sounds really corny - I read it somewhere but it works! The more you want to feel these things the more you don't. And I literally used to fight against panic attacks for hours on end - now I can end them in 20 seconds - how amazingly weird is that? Anyway hope you have a good weekend. I am golfing Friday and Sunday and going to a wedding Sunday night so non-stop, plus am renovating basement so have to finish painting. Omg am tired just thinking of it. Know that you will do well and have a great weekend!!!

---------- Post added at 21:57 ---------- Previous post was at 21:55 ----------

Ps very few people truly have personal lives to brag about! We all have our problems they're just not apparent to other people ...

ChristopherT
17-05-13, 06:59
Yes, that is true, in the ps... I remember years ago, I lived with a couple of great girls, and one of them brought home this guy. To me, I was a little intimidated, he was so friendly, and charming, and everything, and seemed to have it all together. But when they got into their room, apparently he unloaded all this bad news on to her. So I gotta remember sometimes the people who seam like they have the least problems, are just the best at hiding it.

I'll try and use the "corny" friends approach you suggested next time if a panic attack comes on. Great that you can pull yourself straight out when you need to. At the moment my personal things, are just telling myself to be positive, and not to be hard on myself. Enjoy the weekend!

Ihatesnow
19-05-13, 03:30
Being positive counts for a lot when you can manage it. Hope you too are having a great weekend and making new friends.

ChristopherT
20-05-13, 12:26
Oh. i had to cancel the party, as I was just feeling a bit ill in the stomach, but it wasn't really about nerves. I met some old friends I hadn't seen in long. I did get a bit nervous, but I think they could tell. They were nice enough to offer me a cigarette, and we all sat down at a cafe. I think it was partly from the big coca cola I drank at the movie. Anyway it was okay. It was good, we all talk about, how we had got through depression, me being most recently. I felt i could understand, the depression they had gone through in the past, and we were able to understand other people's depression more easily. Anyway it was just good talking, I think we all felt the same way. Life's not always easy, but you can get through bad situations.

SamRios
21-05-13, 16:51
I find the build up to something worse than actually doing it, so I'm sure you will go to your party and have a great time and wonder what all the fuss is about. I also used to sort of fight the anxiety and panic, but now I just say to them 'come on in, if you're going to be around we better be friends' sounds really corny - I read it somewhere but it works! The more you want to feel these things the more you don't. And I literally used to fight against panic attacks for hours on end - now I can end them in 20 seconds - how amazingly weird is that? Anyway hope you have a good weekend. I am golfing Friday and Sunday and going to a wedding Sunday night so non-stop, plus am renovating basement so have to finish painting. Omg am tired just thinking of it. Know that you will do well and have a great weekend!!!

---------- Post added at 21:57 ---------- Previous post was at 21:55 ----------

Ps very few people truly have personal lives to brag about! We all have our problems they're just not apparent to other people ...

Oh you have shared my own experience. I used to face lots of panic attack especially in night but with recent changes in my lifestyle I am feeling lot more comfortable. Thanks for expressing your views:yesyes::yesyes:

Ihatesnow
22-05-13, 03:17
That's great samrios! What do you do that's helpful?

---------- Post added at 22:17 ---------- Previous post was at 22:13 ----------

[/COLOR]Hi Christopher t - well done for sharing and enjoying your time with friends. I know how hard it can be to relax enough to do that so a big well done! I survived the wedding - did not feel great but tried not to think about it and didn't panic so am happy with that. Had a crappy day today but made it through and didn't feel anxious or panicky despite feeling ill. Thankful or small victories atm

ChristopherT
22-05-13, 03:26
Oh yeah, you survived a wedding, good for you you. I would be okay if it wasn't my family maybe, but if it was all family I hadn't seen in long, that'd be tough I'm sure.

Anyway yeah, keep adding to the little victories, hopefully they will start to reenforce each other.

Ihatesnow
01-06-13, 04:40
Wow been so busy haven't had time to write! Have odd moments of anxiety but manage to get through them with thinking about what I've learned in cbt and hypnosis. Still pushing myself to do things that I should be able to do, but don't want to. Not 'normal' yet but feel like I'm on my way and improving day by day. Thankful for every small victory and determined to beat this. Hope you're all doing well!