PDA

View Full Version : when you don't trust your psychiatrist any longer

Eek
13-04-13, 10:49
I'm coming to the conclusion that one of my big problems is that I no longer trust my psychiatrist. He has said a couple of things that were blatantly wrong. An example is I was worried about coming off of a medication in the future - fluvoxamine and expressed my concern that it had the lowest half life of all the SSRIs of only 13-15 hours which would make it difficult to withdraw from. This can be verified easily and repeatedly online but he said that this was rubbish and fluvoxamine had one of the longest half lives and was easy to come off of. I think he was confusing fluoxetine which sounds similar but has a much longer half life. He has admitted in the past that he doesn't use fluvoxamine much at all now.

Anyway my problem is I don't know what to do about it. I'd like to get a new psychiatrist hopefully one that I could trust but don't know how. I was assigned to this psychiatrist when I was admitted to a private psychiatric hospital when I had a breakdown a year and a half ago so I can't just shop around for a new one as you need a referral and I'm also worried about how my current psychiatrist would take it if I looked into changing. So I feel kind of stuck with a doctor I really don't trust and I'm sure that can't be good for my mental health.

hanshan
13-04-13, 11:58
If you have a genuine concern about a doctor's diagnosis, you can ask for a second opinion. It may be hard, but explain to your doctor why you are not completely satisfied, and ask to be referred for a second opinion.