PDA

View Full Version : My initial consultation with hypnotherapist

PITITA
20-09-06, 23:56
Hello Everyone,

I would like to share my experiences with you and tell you something that I had learnt today although it may be something that you already know. Apparently the reason we are constantly fighting our anxiety symptoms and it never seems to subside is because our brain is made up of subconscious+ conscious mind where the subconscious takes up the majority and once the anxious behaviour is learned then its all autopilot. The conscious part of the mind which is also the rational thinking part will be always overriden by the subconscious thats why we feel that there is a war in our heads..lol

Thats just one thing my therapist told me today. Another thing she mentioned is that hypnotherapy is all about deep relaxation, nothing more so there is nothing to be afraid of. I had arrived there today with a really high anxiety and even that did not affect me being relaxed. What I did was this... I thought to myself, this anxiety is not going to go away doesn't matter how much I want it to, so I am just going to ignore it. And it was HARD for me, as I was bombarded with intrusive thoughts about me starting to hear voices in the quietness, but for once I let FATE take over...I gave up the fight! I thought to myself, if this is my fate let it come and take me. Guess what, my anxiety did not get any better, but my ATTITUDE did! I was there all trembling in the chair, but I just did as I was told anyway. That just showed me how much CONTROL we really DO HAVE!!!

And another thing that gave me lots of hope was the fact that the therapist has so much hope in me, she said something that warmed my heart, she said...you may not see the light at the end of the tunnel, but I do and i am going to walk you though it till the end, which was so sweet I thought. She said its also good that i believe in the therapy because that is supposed to help too.

Sorry to be a bit long, but I just really wanted to pass on some info that someone out there might just find helpful or even hopeful :)

Will go back to second session on Monday and will let you all know how it went if you are interested!

Love Pitita xxx

"Our thinking creates problems that the same type of thinking will not solve" Albert Einstein

EllieF
27-09-06, 01:52
I would be really interested in hearing how the hypnotherapy works out. Am thinking about trying it myself as I have got to the stage where ANYTHING would be better than where I am. Have tried the self-hypnosis stuff and it sort of works, a bit, but feel that if I got hold of a properly qualified hypnotherapist I could trust it might help quite a bit.

PITITA
27-09-06, 12:32
So far so good, but sometimes I have my doubts whether I am relaxed deep enough for the therapy session, because i do get anxious when I get there.
I never tried self-hypnosis so I can't compare.

"Our thinking creates problems that the same type of thinking will not solve" Albert Einstein

honeybee3939
27-09-06, 12:41
Hi Pitita

Thankyou for letting us know how the session went. I have booked a initial appointment for Monday and i am very anxious about going, i have tried everything else so i thought i would give it a go.

Love

Andrea
xxx

PITITA
03-10-06, 14:55
Had 3 sessions already, and one thing I don't quite understand when people describe the hypnotic state as trance. For me its is nothing more than just feeling very relaxed as if Im having an afternoon nap, but no trance Im afraid. Now I'm thinking it must be that I am doing something wrong, or my therapist is just after my money :(
Well yesterday during my session I felt really relaxed which was nice and I didnt have to talk but just tap my index fingers for yes or no, and I was told NOt to pay attention to the questions, because my subconscious will take care of them.
Well I guess I talked a lot of nonsense but my therapist was quite happy so there must have been something good there.

Kathy
07-10-06, 16:14
Ive had a few sessions of hypnotherapy and it is very relaxing, its not like a trance as such, just being in a very relaxed state. You are totally in control at all times, and if you wanted to just open your eyes and come out of it you could. You arent doing anything wrong!

Kath

honeybee3939
07-10-06, 17:31
Hi Pitta,

I had my first Hypnotherapist session on Monday, something must have worked as i felt more relaxed this week and also i managed to drive my car around my own town after 3 months of been afraid to drive it ! Im going again Monday so will let you know how things go.

Love

Andrea
xxx

honeybee3939
14-10-06, 10:49
Hi Pitita,

Was just wondering how things had gone with the Hypnotheropy? And if you had benefited from the sessions. I had my second session last week.was very interesting, i was aked to take my self to a sittuation in the car which i would panic at (road works etc) and then change the horrid symptoms into rose petals take deep breaths and the then blow them all away. I also had to choose a lovely colour that i liked and had to imagine filling myself up with that colour from head to toe, the theropist told me when i left to go buy something that colour( i chose bright pink) that evening i went to Matalan( wow! havent been in there for years) and purchased a pink scarf, she said the colour would help me, so i have tied it around my handbag and had it with me all week.

I have had a real good week and been more positive, i have my final session on Thursday, so will let you know how it went.

Love

Andrea
xxxx

PITITA
15-10-06, 00:40
Hi Andrea,

My therapy sessions are slightly different from yours, as I am being asked lots of questions about my anxiety while in the hypnotic state/deeply relaxed going all the way back to my childhood. My part in it is just tapping my index fingers right for yes left for no and thats it. I really don't know if it helps me at all, i am just hoping that if I stick with it till the end and give her the chance to try and help me I might see a change at the end.
Am glad to hear how well it is going for you though! Keep up the good work!

Love Anita xxx

"If you magnify your imperfections and minimize your good points, you're guaranteed to feel inferior. But the problem isn't YOU its- its the crazy lenses you are wearing! " Feeling Good handbook

static
26-10-06, 18:18
Hi guys, thanks for posting your hypnotherapy experiences, i've read through them and i am really keen to try it, what sort of costs are involved? i've been looking on the internet and i can't find anywhere that states the cost of sessions.

D

bb01234
08-01-07, 01:10
Hi there, picking up on the threads I would mention that the two of you sound like you're undergoing different hypnotheraputic approaches.

Clinical hypnotherapy is more directive and may focus more on just relaxation - not that this is wrong - and may be applied as a precursor to the second type.

The second type is analytical hypnotherapy and with this the therapist works with unconsious mind of the client to reveal the cause behind your symptoms.

So many people feel scared in advance - not necessary.

As regards the word trance, that's best described as 'you can get up off the couch whenever you want, it's just that you probably won't want to' Like daydreaming, drifting off on a cloud from thought to thought' is another way of hearing it felt.

HTH

Regards

Brian