PDA

View Full Version : Muscle twitches in left leg.

agent orange
13-04-13, 18:23
Hello, I have not posted for awhile, I have been trying to manage and I thought I have been doing well. However I am experiencing muscle twitching or fasciculation. I am getting them over my whole body at times, but I have one niggling set of twitches behind my knee and on my calf muscle,mostly on my left leg. Is this normal to have it happening in just one major place? I know I am tired, I was not particulary stressed, but my anxiety is increasing somewhat because of it. It does subside, but then it is quite violent and then calms, it is very weird. Anyone else have this? I have been diagnosed with Undifferentiated Somatoform Disorder (Health Anxiety), check out this on a earlier thread. Any suggestions please? Many Thanks.

Have a great evening

Sydney100
13-04-13, 18:39
I'm with you on this one. I'm twitching on both legs around my knee, my stomach intermittently and my eye lids. I too have been trying hard to control my anxiety but when things like this happen its hard to remain calm. Good luck

agent orange
13-04-13, 18:41
Do you notice them when you are busy, because I am so fixated that I do notice them, especially in that one calf muscle. Thank you for your reply.

dreena
13-04-13, 18:59
I'm suffering so bad with this in my arm at the moment and it's really getting me down :( I'm not so bad when I'm busy but when I stop I notice it and I feel so tense

xtremx
14-04-13, 11:35
Hi..

I have suffered form this for over 2 years now and will it can be a concern it is a total harmless.

My calf muscles are in constant fasciculation and they have been for 2 years. Also on/off in my eyelids, Arm, Thigh, Stomach, Hand and it is all benign and a lot of people believe stress related.

I never noticed it until a few days after I was taken into A&E with chest pains, I returned home to recover and will I was relaxed I seen my Calf muscle like moving on its own like a snake wriggling and then my anxiety took over thinking it was something bad.

It is a case of relax and not allow them to control your life and forget about them they are now just part of my life, But the only thing that still bugs me is my right leg has hyper jerks sometime it well just jump for now reason yet another thing I never had before anxiety.

If you have any questions about Muscle twitching/fasciculation Please feel free to ask as for about the first 6 months I was looking all over the internet and doing all kinds of silly home tests to find out what was the cause and talking to some very helpful people whom had major illnesses that I was concerned about.

Mr m anxious
14-04-13, 15:46
Yep I have muscle twitches too in different places and body jolts when I'm tired but all seems to happen when I'm more anxious. Funny how I never had any of this until I had my first panic attack just before Xmas.

Jonoh
14-04-13, 15:56
I get muscle twitches all over my body, which has been attributed to a b12 deficiency. Common areas when it's down to b12 are actually the calf muscles and eye lids, so I recommend getting your levels checked for those who have it there. Don't worry though, it's an easily fixed problem, you just have to take some supplements to bring your levels up.

Of course, there is also benign fasiculation syndrome, which from the name you can gather isnt deadly. To be honest, the only time you need to worry about muscle twitching, is when it happens in one spot ONLY. If you were to have a recurring twitch in JUST one place, it COULD signal death of muscle in that area, caused by degenerative diseases such as ALS. Although this is a late symptom of the disease (so you'd have other symptoms too), and you stated that you have widespread twitches. Therefore, you DO NOT have ALS. I dont wanna scare you so i cant stress how much you dont have it! I was paralyzed by this fear for a long time and it was for NOTHING, so don't fear it! I have noticed certain areas twitch frequently too, but I also get twitches elsewhere - this is the difference.

xtremx
14-04-13, 17:06
Of course, there is also benign fasiculation syndrome, which from the name you can gather isnt deadly. To be honest, the only time you need to worry about muscle twitching, is when it happens in one spot ONLY. If you were to have a recurring twitch in JUST one place, it COULD signal death of muscle in that area, caused by degenerative diseases such as ALS. Although this is a late symptom of the disease, and you stated that you have widespread twitches. Therefore, you DO NOT have ALS. I dont wanna scare you so i cant stress how much you dont have it! I was paralyzed by this fear for a long time and it was for NOTHING, so don't fear it! I have noticed certain areas twitch frequently too, but I also get twitches elsewhere - this is the difference.

I was going to say all the above but wanted to stay away from mentioning ALS until some had said it was something they thought it maybe.

But all of the above is very much true and wide spread twitching is not indicative of a neurological diseases.

Jonoh
14-04-13, 17:15
Yeah, I was pretty wary about mentioning it too, that's why I can't highlight how important it is that Agent Orange doesn't have it.