PDA

View Full Version : Tackling anxiety and acceptance

inCOGnito
14-04-13, 10:17
I was thinking about anxiety, Claire Weekes and some other stuff this morning to remind myself of these things and this writing arose all by itself. Thought I would share :hugs:

Tackling anxiety

1. A firefighter doesn’t defeat a fire by turning his back and hoping it goes away. He turns toward it, faces it, and confronts it directly. Anxiety does not go away by turning yourself away from it. It can only be defeated by turning your attention toward it, facing it no matter how hot the flames.

2. When facing the fire the firefighter does not go in unarmed. He is equipped with fire fighting clothing and water. Likewise facing anxiety is brave but does extinguish it unless you are equipped to deal with the heat and flames that face you. Your tools are understanding and acceptance.

3. Sometimes the flames may be too high and the firefighter must take a step back or try a different route. So too must you be wise and rest when the time is right. However being wise does not mean avoiding tall flames. Sometimes the only way forward is through the fire with the highest intensity.

Acceptance

Acceptance is allowing what will happen to happen. Acceptance is the very opposite of resistance. Acceptance is like falling without trying to pull yourself back up, without struggling, without tensing. There is freedom in that. Acceptance is a complete letting go to what is at that moment. No muscular tensing and no mental tensing. This means no complaining and no wishing that things were different. All this is is resistance to what is happening. After all, however you feel right now or whatever is happening right now IS happening right now. What use is it to resist what is already happening?.

Acceptance isn’t something you do with thought. It is what you do with your whole body. There is no benefit in telling yourself that you accept the symptoms and thoughts that arise if you do not let everything else go. Because then it is only another thought and you still resist mentally and physically. It would be like repeatedly punching a brick wall while telling yourself that you’re not doing it. It is a lie. There must be a complete surrender.

Acceptance isn’t easy. Our minds are like untrained dogs who keep jumping on the sofa and barking at passers-by. The mind is conditioned to resist, to not accept. So don’t be angry or condone yourself if you accept one moment and resist the next. It takes time to recondition the mind’s patterns. Thoughts will still arise but they are thoughts borne out of a conditioned mind. Recognise them as conditioned thoughts. Acknowledge that they are only trying to protect you. Then drop them. You can imagine a pink gorilla with green spots and a purple hat in the room with you but this is only a thought and is not real. Drop anxious thoughts like you would the thought about the gorilla by recognising that it is only imagination.

If your heart beats fast let it beat fast. If you panic let yourself panic. Whatever comes let it come without trying to stop it. Let the storm pass right through you. During these times I like to ask myself how am I resisting this moment?. It is a question that doesn’t need a direct answer. It doesn’t need to be thought about nor analysed. The body is an amazing thing and there is intelligence outside of thought. The answers will reveal themselves. And it gives insight into the mechanics of resistance and gives you another opportunity to let go even further.

theharvestmouse
14-04-13, 11:39
Good post, makes a lot of sense.:)

---------- Post added at 11:39 ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 ----------

The day I started to confront my problems as well as accept them was a huge step for me.

jefferina
14-04-13, 11:53
Thank you for posting this.Its unreal how apt it is for me right now. Its is something I am really struggling with so found it very interesting and helpful. thanks xx

BobbyDog
14-04-13, 12:42
I love the analogy about the Firefighter, it makes it easier to absorb.

I think for me "acceptance" is accepting the "self" warts and all.

Linzi29
14-04-13, 14:30
I think this is a great post and informative, the facts are so true and when applied are so helpful, :)

Door No.2
14-04-13, 19:25
Thanks inCOGnito, I just logged in looking from a distraction from the panic and your post has really helped. I love the firefighter analogy, and it hadn't occurred to me before just how much energy I was putting in to resisting all this, trying to be calm/not panic and getting upset at myself. Going to work on the acceptance part :flowers:

little wren
15-04-13, 07:53
Incognito - Reading Claire Weekes too alongside CBT4panic. It is a good thing to recap what you have learned - by writing it on here it helps others but also anchors it in your own mind more. I think acceptance is understanding that the feelings are there - they just are - I am not going to wish it were any other way and am just going to get on with my day. I think floating is not fighting it anymore. What comes will come - not resisting it anymore. Thanks for the post - nice to know others are also reading Claire Weekes...x

inCOGnito
15-04-13, 10:16
Thanks for the kind posts everyone. It is amazing how much the mind is in 'resistance mode' all of the time. I hope you all accept a little more each day.

Claire Weekes is fantastic. You don't get a nobel prize for nothing! She has helped me several times throughout life and will continue to do so. Her words resonate much more deeply than most people will ever realise.

There is more than just claire weekes in the initial post but what she says syncs so well with it.

Linzi29
17-04-13, 11:28
Hi inCOGnito,

I was just wondering what resources did you find on Claire Weekes helped u? i.e books, websites etc...

I can see how it has inspired you and given you helpful information and advice :) so would just like to try them my self and see if it could help me..

inCOGnito
17-04-13, 21:25
Hi Linzi,

I've always found Claire Weekes to be so helpful and more importantly true. The instructions are hard to follow because, in the moment, your mind hits you with such emotion and fear that it persuades you it won't work or it's wrong. It's only when you follow it through with honesty, courage, and truely follow the instructions that you learn that it really is true.

I've found in my own experiences that you can have understanding and know something inside out but it won't do sh*t unless you know it in your own experience. This applies to anything in life.

With anxiety i believe that there may be genetics at play (for example how cortisol is dealt with by the body or how synapses function) in some people, as well as perhaps physiology, and underlying beliefs and maladaptive learning/coping. But with the anxiety itself I believe Claire Weekes is the gold standard in how to understand how it manifests and how to psychologically deal with it. Anxiety is anxiety when fear of the fear comes into it and this is what she primarily deals with. Without this secondary fear which causes the fear on fear cycle and ultimately anxiety we wouldn't really have anxiety. episodes of fear would be dealt with in a more transitory basis...how it was meant too.

Originally when anxiety first became a problem for me I read "Essential help for your nerves". It's two books in one. Get it and read it cover to cover! Applying it over time took the anxiety away.

Years later anxiety reared its ugly head again. Now I know that over those years I've held beliefs that have contributed to the anxiety and done lots of things that have contributed to the mental, spiritual, physical, and emotional fatigue that she talks about which contributes to anxiety. Now I wish I had have paid more attention to the signs and could have spotted my demise earlier on. Alas, i did not and fell into the trap once again.

This time around I re-read the book and listened to her CD "pass through panic" I think it was (google JADE claire weekes). The CD pulled me out of hell. It's been a long recovery but when you can follow through with her advice FULLY that is when the benefit can be seen.

That turned out to be a long post, oops!

Linzi29
18-04-13, 13:51
Hi inCOGnito,

Thanks soo much for the advice and information, I will defo have to get the book :)