PDA

View Full Version : New and could do with some help

sunny36
14-04-13, 11:25
Hi, i'm a thirty something mum from the UK and i started with my first panic attack last October-i'd started with really bad anxiety and starting taking medication-unfortunately the medication makes you worse to start with and effects your memory so i ended up taking 2 tablets one day not realising i'd already taken one and woke up through the night with a ridiculously fast heart beat and couldnt understand why! When i realised what had happened after getting up i looked at the info that came with the tablets and it said seek medical advice if you take more than you should. This sent my heart racing more and i went into a full blown panic attack which just got worse-all i could think was my hearts beating so fast i'm going to have a heart attack! My husband called an ambulance and the paramedics were worried about my heart rate as it wouldn't come down partly due to the meds but mainly due to me panicing but i couldn't even sit still in the ambulance without feeling even more panicy- i had to keep moving to distract myself from what was happening. We did go to the hospital in the end and i managed to calm down after a few hours! Needless to say i won't be taking anxiety meds again! Been anxious since but no attacks until last saturday and again it happened through the night but just about managed to keep the most severe feelings away thankfully. I have a driving test on thursday- have low self esteem when it comes to my ability to acheive something so it's taken me years to build up the courage to even take lessons. I've had so many lessons because of nerves and lack of faith in myself. Now i have to deal with the possibility of having an attack during the test too. Went to the test centre with my instructor the other day and felt one coming on - it was really unexpected but i just about mananged to keep it away although i continued the rest of the lesson more nervous than ever and making dangerous mistakes. Passing this test will change my life- if anyone can give me some advice i would appreciate it. Thanks for reading

jelly2010
14-04-13, 11:59
Hi Sunny,
Welcome. I'm sure you'll find support and help here. Panic attacks are horrific and I'm sorry that you are suffering.
May I ask what medication you were taking? Sometimes, as bleak as the initial side effects are, you need to perservere before they have a benefit. Perhaps if these weren't right for you then your GP can prescribe an alternative?
I'm going through this myself at the moment and having some horrible side effects but I'm sure things will get better.

In regards to your driving test - I sat mine before I began suffering from depression and anxiety and still found myself getting very worked up about it. It's a cliche but please just try and focus on your breathing. Remind yourself that nothing bad will happen to you (even if you were to make a mistake the instructor has ultimate control over the situation).

Wishing you all the best, J x

hanshan
14-04-13, 12:06
Hi Sunny,

Good luck with the driving test.

You don't say which meds you were given for anxiety. There's a range, and they all work differently. If you can say the particular med you have taken, it will help people reply.

sunny36
14-04-13, 12:48
Thank you for replying- the tablets were citalopram (may not be the correct spelling). I have been on them before a few years ago when i had post natal dep and although i felt a little more anxious to start with it wasn't all that bad so i was so shocked that they had such side effects second time round. i'm keeping everything crossed for my test-if and when it happens i will honestly feel like i have done something amazing. :)

jelly2010
14-04-13, 12:56
Sunny if it helps to know I'm having the same experiences with fluoxetine. Took it before and didn't have many side effects. Started again 4 weeks ago and I've had the worst week of anxiety I've ever experienced.
Have you talked to your doc about it?

hopey
14-04-13, 16:48
Hi jelly. I have been on "fluo" for six weeks now, 20mg for four weeks and
doc upped it to 40mg last monday. Today I have been very anxious. How do you cope when you are feeling like this???? from hopey

---------- Post added at 16:48 ---------- Previous post was at 16:46 ----------

hello . do hope that it will be a good day for you on thursday.
that thinking about it will have been worse than the actual test.
blessings.

sunny36
14-04-13, 18:25
Sunny if it helps to know I'm having the same experiences with fluoxetine. Took it before and didn't have many side effects. Started again 4 weeks ago and I've had the worst week of anxiety I've ever experienced.
Have you talked to your doc about it? Maybe we need to try different ones to see which suits us at this particular time although that's not very pleasant in itself. I'm going to to the docs tomorrow-the thought of going back on medication after what happened scares me in itself-have no idea how i'm going to cope with driving test!

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 16:52 ----------

Thanks everyone for your support- will let you know how i get on on thursday

jelly2010
14-04-13, 18:40
[QUOTE=hopey;1148616]Hi jelly. I have been on "fluo" for six weeks now, 20mg for four weeks and
doc upped it to 40mg last monday. Today I have been very anxious. How do you cope when you are feeling like this???? from hopey

---------- Post added at 16:48 ---------- Previous post was at 16:46 ----------

hopey I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling anxious. It really is the pits. Please know that it does pass - I'm feeling a bit better than I was yesterday but last week I was so low and the anxiety was unbearable. I'm lucky that I have a good friend who has been through this and was able to help me with my crazy thoughts and desperation. It's so difficult but please just try and think that each day will be a little better than the one before and eventually you will start to feel calmer.
I keep saying someone needs to invent a magic wand to help eradicate these feelings!
Feel free to PM me if you want to talk at any time.
Take care of yourself, J x

StaffordEd
15-04-13, 13:35
Hi Sunny36

My wife is on Citalopram and copes well with it. She was very bad about 4/5 years ago with panic attacks. She suffered with a severe reflux condition which was eventually diagnosed as Helicobacter pylori this was after losing around 4 stone in weight. This has now been treated. The uncertainty of what was wrong We think was the cause of the panic attacks. Touch wood she copes well now and is enjoying life with just the odd minor relapse.

Good luck

sunny36
16-04-13, 17:58
Really glad things are looking up for your wife-panic attacks are horrible to deal with! Good luck for the future