PDA

View Full Version : Quitting Fluoxetine? And winning my girlfriend BACK...? The big question.

RedLion
14-04-13, 14:45
Hi there,

This is my first post so I'm very sorry about that, but I hope to stick around this forum from now on.
(I'll bold the important points since it's such a long message. (Also, see tl:dr at the bottom)

Here's the situation-I've been on 40mg a day Fluoxetine for over a year now, and SSRI's pretty much constantly for the last 7 years. (I'm 23.) I've never been 100% how helpful they are. I've also had plenty of counselling.

I had been with my girlfriend for over 18 months. We broke up over 2 months ago. I want her BACK.

The main reason we broke up is I didn't find time for her, (caught up in my own problems) and that my symptoms/side-effects made our relationship difficult. She stuck with me through some of my worst times, I ended the relationship a much happier person because of her.

Here's the big question- I'm going to try to win her back sometime next week, she has a week's break from work, and I've just finished my final year of Uni. I don't want my SSRI's getting in the way of this make-or-break meeting. The main side effects I get from Fluoxetine are: Excessive sweating (all over, generalised Hyperhidrosis, most of the time. I used various prescription anti-perspirant (Drysol etc) but I even sweat in my hair/face) and sexual dysfunction (sometimes sex lasts for ages, more often I finish very quickly. It varies between the two) (I know...the post was almost romantic up to this point. I'm a lovely boyfriend to make up for all this.) :D

In your opinion, (especially if you have prior experience) should I start coming off my Prozac before I try to win her back?? I won't be able to come off completely-I feel I need to make my move next week before I lose her, (I know she has a guy friend who's thinking of making a move), but will this help decrease the sweating/sexual problems, or will it make them worse in the short term? (Due to withdrawal) Any personal withdrawal experience would be awesome.

I know there are still feelings between us (we've kept in close contact) but I'm well aware this might all go tits up. I'd much rather try and fail, than not try and wonder.

All the best,
Will.

n.b. I'm also on propanolol hydrochloride to help lessen the sweating. I'm not sure it does anything.

Tl:dr-Trying to win girlfriend back next week. Want to be in top form. Will decreasing my dose of prozac over this next week reduce my sweating/sexual dysfunction before then, or will it make it worse? (Withdrawal)

---------- Post added at 13:45 ---------- Previous post was at 13:40 ----------

Also, like I said, I'm new, so if anyone knows something I should change in this post, or if it should go in a different place, please let me know!

mrsnobody
14-04-13, 21:02
hi, its lovely that you want to win your girlfriend back but i think you need to speak to your doctor before stopping/reducing meds, as side effects can be bad. i had nihtmares when i stopped but i was only taking it for a short period as it didnt agree with me. good luck and i hope you both work things out

OncewasSupergirl
14-04-13, 21:05
I'm with MrsNobody you need to speak to your GP first. Also even if you reduce the meds it won't remedy the side effects quickly as Prozac has a long half life n stays in your system longer than any other antid's x x