PDA

View Full Version : Sinus sufferers - advice please

jillyb
14-04-13, 19:50
Having problems with my sinuses. I mentioned it to the gp but didn't really tell him how much it is getting me down. I have been on loads of antibiotics in the past 4 months, for tooth problems, so he said to try beconase. This is my 3rd day and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Am I being impatient? It is mainly troubling me beneath my cheek and my cheek also feels weird. My ear is also a bit blocked too. I am obsessed about it and worrying a lot. Any idea how long before the beconase does anything? Am also using sterimar spray and inhaling steam, but nothing seems to be working.

Annie0904
14-04-13, 19:57
The thing that works best for me is alternating hot and cold compresses across your cheek bones for 10 minutes each.

Jonoh
14-04-13, 20:05
I think loads of antibiotics can eventually aggravate the problem. This is just conjecture from personal experience and a lot of reading on Western medicine and more holistic therapies. The antibiotics are good in killing bacteria, but it doesn't differentiate between good and bad, so your good gut flora is taking a hit too. Candida is something which lives in all of us and our gut flora keeps it in check and from overgrowing, but if your good bacteria levels become low and the candida does overgrow (long term use of antibiotics is one of the causes) it can cause hundreds of symptoms, sinus infections being a common one. If your sinus infections are resistant to antibiotics it may mean that you have a fungal infection rather than bacterial.

The way to beat this really is a change in diet, you have to cut out all sugar and yeasts, so basically eating a lot of organic stuff, and rebuilding your gut flora with good quality probiotics. I found this greatly helped my sinus troubles so yeah. If you're interested just google anti-candida diet, there's a wealth of info online. :)

And btw, candida overgrowth (or candidiasis) isn't really accepted by the Western medical world, so your doctor probably won't think this is the problem.

avasnana
14-04-13, 20:11
The nasal spray will take time to work properly, maybe a couple of weeks, so keep with it. As a fellow sufferer I really do feel for you. It makes me really fed up. Mine are bad at the minute and the pressure in my nose and head make me feel lightheaded and off balance. I use the sterimar, take a prescription antihistamine and use nasonex, it doesn't stop the suffering all together but does make it a bit more bearable.

Hope you feel better soon.

almamatters
15-04-13, 19:29
I have had sinus problems for ages and ages, I use a steroid nasal spray twice a day and put a warm flannel on my face when the pain is bad. It does help, I sympathise with you, sinus problems are really horrible.

RVP
15-04-13, 19:39
Hey, this is very similar to mine, althogh with everything you're getting I also have right sided head pressure, either around the temple or above the ear.
I tried beconase nasal spray twice a day for 4 weeks and it didn't make any difference for me.

How long have you had this problem for? I've never suffered sinus before and all this started in November.

It worries me because the pressure in my head hasn't gone...and is always there everyday. Even if it goes for half a day I'll be happy, I'm at that stage.

PinkRoxy
16-04-13, 11:17
An anti inflammatory pain killer can relieve the pain. In our house we usually fill an empty nasal spray with boiled water and salt but the water has to cool down first.

Another good trick is to put boiled water into a bowl and lean over it to breath in the steam with a towel over your head as it helps unblocks everything.

My doctor gives me flixonase and antihistamines which does help but not all the time.

When going on antibiotics its best to do so when you really feel like you need them such as having green phlegm and there is a yucky smell in your nose that smells like an infection as well as lots of pain and a sore throat. When you do go on them ask for a long dose such as three weeks as its more effective for killing off the bacteria completely without it coming back. But you will need to replace yourself with probiotics such as tablets afterwards to restore the good bacteria otherwise the infection could come back.

It could be a change of weather patterns or a plant you are exposed to which could be causing your sinuses. But me and my dad get it all the time ever since we were born.

I hope you are able to get it sorted

jillyb
28-04-13, 19:19
Still suffering and getting really obsessed (thinking, worrying, prodding 24/7). Had antibiotics but no change .... It's the blocked, swollen feeling in my cheek (along the gum line, sort of) and into my ear that's really getting me down. I have such medical phobia that I am terrified of being referred. So fed up and so is my husband. Have never had it like this before.