PDA

View Full Version : My experiences

Owen1980
15-04-13, 06:15
First I just want to say what a great forum this is. I've read quite a few threads and the support I see given here is really touching. I suffer from panic attacks and reading other peoples experiences seems to help me feel better, or at least not alone or like there is something really wrong with me. Because of this I figured i'd share my life experiences with anxiety in case it helps someone else out one day.

I guess the earliest case of anxiety I can remember was towards the end of high school. I'm not sure what the trigger was but almost every day I had to leave class to go to the toilet to be sick. At some point I must have gotten over it or stopped doing it. I'm not sure how or why I got over it. All I can remember is one day I was being sick and the next not.

After school when I was around 20, I had a major panic attack. At the time I didn't know anything about anxiety or what was going on. I couldn't sleep or eat. I felt like I was a danger to everyone around me. At dinner time I would be anxious about knives being on the table because I could possibly hurt someone with them. Eventually I came home from work one day and just broke down in tears infront of my parents. I couldn't handle it anymore. My father took me to see a doctor and he said I was suffering from anxiety. This was a new word to me. He prescribed me some drugs and referred me to a psychologist.

The drugs I refused to take because in my mind, if i'm taking drugs then that's saying there is something wrong with me. I'm a perfectionist so the idea of something being wrong with my makes me automatically panic. Does anyone remember the Anthrax attacks in the US? I received some mail from the US around that time and later had what turned out to be just a big pimple but I panic'd and thought I may have contracted Anthrax and actually went to the local hospital to get checked out. I knew it was the stupidest suggestion ever and was very embarrassing but I was in a panic and I needed the hospital to reassure me I was ok. Crazy huh?

Anyway, I saw a psychologist for one visit who told me that my violent thoughts and fears were normal effects of anxiety and basically just said I had too much stress in my life and not enough good things. Around this time I had a constant headache and felt very down. This went on for probably 3 months or more. Eventually I came good. Like in school, I just woke up one day and didn't think about the anxiety or depression.

Over the next 13 years I had several minor panic attacks. In those cases I was able to just sleep it off and wake up the next day and not think about it.

A few weeks ago though, I had a panic attack whilst at work. I had to lock myself in the toilets for about 30 minutes whilst I was sick. Eventually I got the courage to go back to my desk and for a few minutes I tried to get on with my work but it was to no avail. I had to go home sick. This attack was as scary as the one I had when I was 20. I google'd anxiety and researched it and to my surprise I found many web sites that detailed almost exactly how I was feeling. The fear that i'm going to lose control, the fear that I could hurt someone or myself, the throwing up, the restlessness and the feeling of hopelessness. That made me feel slightly better however I was still in a pretty bad way. I couldn't eat and just thinking about doing things such as answering the front door was enough to make me panic. My biggest fear was returning to work. Not only is that where the attack happened but I was afraid that I could lose my job if I couldn't get this under control.

It took everything I had but I was able to force myself to get up in the morning and go back to work. I started each day by being sick but once I got that out the way I went to work. Whilst at work I was much more calm than I was at home. The fear of being at work is much worse than actually being at work.

After 2 weeks I was on the mend. I was eating again and for the most part felt good. Then last week my boss offered me a 'promotion' .. in his mind its a promotion but it would have actually been less money and more responsibility. Plus it is a role I don't think I would enjoy. This caused me to have another panic attack so now I almost back to square one.

Today is my first day back at work since that panic attack. I woke up at 4am, got out of bed at 5am and was sick. I couldn't eat anything for breakfast. I was sick on the way to the car and I was sick again in the parking lot in the city. Then I was sick again whilst walking to my building. Once I got here though I was much more calm.

I think what works for me is confronting my fears head on. The thought of being at work was terrifying me but once I got here I saw that nothing bad is happening to me. My biggest problem is I have panic attacks about having panic attacks. They have to be the scariest things in the world. Right now, panic attacks are the first thing on my mind when I wake up in the morning. Until the offer of 'promotion' I had gotten past that but now i'm doing it again.

My recovery plan is to just keep forcing myself to get out of bed and get to work. Face the world and face my fears head on. Even if it means having to throw up every morning. I try to be as positive as I can. As upsetting as it is to be throwing up, when I do I try to think of it as just something I need to get out of the way so I can then get on with the day. Sometimes I find talking about it helps but other times it doesn't. Sometimes when I talk about it I tend to dwell on it instead of thinking positive and trying to get past it. I think the worst thing I can do is dwell on it. When i'm feeling good I don't like being reminded of it.

Hope my experiences help somebody.

inCOGnito
15-04-13, 10:38
Nice post owen. Am glad you are facing the fear. Might I suggest you look at the hidden beliefs behind your reaction to the suggestion of 'promotion'. You do so well then something drags you back into fear mode. Perhaps there is an underlying belief there.

My biggest problem is I have panic attacks about having panic attacks.

I think this is most people's problem! It's the fear of the fear cycle or 'second fear' as Claire Weekes calls it. I know this has been the thing that holds me down too.

I guess it's natural to be afraid of the fear itself. After all it produces a lot of unease and when we are so sensitized to it it produces a strong conditioned reaction (eg panic, sickness, palpitations etc). Who in their right mind wouldn't be afraid of that?

And accordingly we have to accept that being afraid of fear and panic is a natural reaction and we must accept that. Breaking that cycle over time will lead to a lessening of fear of fear.

Owen1980
16-04-13, 23:58
Nice post owen. Am glad you are facing the fear. Might I suggest you look at the hidden beliefs behind your reaction to the suggestion of 'promotion'. You do so well then something drags you back into fear mode. Perhaps there is an underlying belief there.

I think this is most people's problem! It's the fear of the fear cycle or 'second fear' as Claire Weekes calls it. I know this has been the thing that holds me down too.

I guess it's natural to be afraid of the fear itself. After all it produces a lot of unease and when we are so sensitized to it it produces a strong conditioned reaction (eg panic, sickness, palpitations etc). Who in their right mind wouldn't be afraid of that?

And accordingly we have to accept that being afraid of fear and panic is a natural reaction and we must accept that. Breaking that cycle over time will lead to a lessening of fear of fear.

Thank you for your kind reply. I did better yesterday, no throwing up and when I got home from work I found that some car parts had arrived that I had been waiting on (I am restoring a car) and that excited me and shook off the depression I was feeling and by bed time I was very positive. I was thinking positive enough that I thought i'd wake up today and be good again.

Unfortunately though, when I woke up this morning I was initially ok but then I remembered the panic attacks and from then on I started to worry about everything. For example, will I throw up as soon as I get out of bed? Will I be able to eat breakfast? How will I be able to face work today? Can I keep doing this job? Am I burnt out?

My mind goes into overdrive, analyzing everything and looking for anything to blame for how I am feeling. When this happens I start to panic and I have to work hard to ensure it doesn't turn into a full blown attack.

I get such a headache that doing anything that requires thinking really hurts my head. Especially if someone asks me a question.

I'm at work now. It was very difficult getting myself here but now that i'm here I've started to relax a bit. I read over the post I made here a few days ago and that actually made me feel a little better and calmed me down also.

Regarding the panic attack caused by the offer of promotion, I am able to explain that one, but first I must tell you about the initial attack I had a few weeks ago:

My life is made up of a very boring routine. I work sunday->wednesday (10 hour days) then have thursday->saturday off. All my friends work on thursday and friday so I mostly sit around doing nothing on those days. The only day I might get to do something is saturday with my partner. I really have little to no social life. Even at work I sit in a enclosed room with no windows and the people here don't talk much.

I have alot of external stress in my life right now (family issues etc) which I guess had me feeling down and a drained. Whilst at work I was feeling restless and my mind wandered to negative thoughts, one thought in particular made me break down and panic - "I do the same thing day in day out, what is the point of life?"

As mentioned earlier, I did start recovering from that panic attack and was feeling pretty good after two weeks until this offer of promotion came. I didn't want this new position as it would bring a considerable reduction in income (some promotion huh?) and would be quite demanding. However I did think it could be a needed change. The thoughts about it being a change then reminded me of the thoughts I had a few weeks ago about my routine life and doing the same thing every day. This caused me to panic again.

My mind is great at making me think i'm a hopeless case and i'm doomed. If I ask a friend to hang out and they say no, I panic and think i'm doomed because I am not getting any social interaction. If I think about how my job has no social interaction, I panic and think i'm doomed. If I think about how I had a panic attack at work, I panic and think i'm doomed because I won't be able to work anymore and will lose my house etc. These reactions apply to so many things.

While i'm feeling happy and am emotionally strong these thoughts do still upset me but I can knock them on the head before the get out of hand. But while i'm down and weak (like now), these thoughts get the better of me.

Thanks for listening. :)

Linzi29
17-04-13, 11:22
hi Owen your post is very interesting and very relatable, its so hard to think positively when all you see is the negative cycle, negative thoughts, negative worries, its a battle in its self, the best thing I found about your post is that you have been through it before and have gotten past it, this proves tht you can really do it, when you start to think about your panic attacks, think back to the times you overcome them and say you know I should be so proud, you may be here right now but you will soon go, im just going to simply breathe and allow you to float by, I know right easier said than done, but you have done it, u have shown tht people can do it and although it may return whenever some thing hits a high like anxiety, theres only one more way for it to go and tht is down, alot of people have the fear panic and anxiety will continue to highten as this is the fear growing but in actual fact those tht sit through it finds it decreases in time, thts why patience is the key,

sorry for rambling on, but I think you have done extremely well and you just have to remember no body has a perfect, stress free life, so when your bad days come let them, know in your heart u have conquered it (before) YOU CAN do it again, well done on your progress, it inspires others to continue :)

StaffordEd
17-04-13, 14:08
Hi Owen

Enjoyed reading your post. I admire your positive attitude towards your difficulties.

I have said this so often I think people are bored with it, but when people say they have lost or losing their mind I say no all you have done is lost control of your mind. With the right attitude and/or therapy you will be able to regain control of your mind and put it back in its box where it belongs. It has just escaped and is running riot with your thoughts.

I have every faith in you Owen.

Good luck.

Ed (U.K.)

Owen1980
24-04-13, 00:49
I have said this so often I think people are bored with it, but when people say they have lost or losing their mind I say no all you have done is lost control of your mind. With the right attitude and/or therapy you will be able to regain control of your mind and put it back in its box where it belongs. It has just escaped and is running riot with your thoughts.

Those are very wise words and I totally agree with them!

Yesterday was a good day for me but today I let myself slip. My partner is going through a rough time right now and she is struggling which in turn is having an effect on me. I need to keep positive and remember this difficult time will pass.

I'm at work and just returned to my desk after throwing up in the toilets. I have told myself the anxiety i'm feeling right now will pass in 20 minutes. This is something I read somewhere and found to be true. Telling myself this calms me down a little and lets me continue with the day instead of going home sick. It also helps me not dwell on the fact i'm having a anxious moment.

Thanks everybody for the kind words and support.

StaffordEd
24-04-13, 15:43
Hi Owen

I Have just read something by Robin Hall co author of CBT4PANIC - a professional online Cognitive Behavioural Therapy treatment plan for Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia which has been recommended on nomorepanic for some time now.

This is what he said on a thread some time ago.

When we first introduced the programme to the members of nomorepanic we asked people if they would like to try it for free in return for feedback. Within a few days around 60 people had requested it.

The feedback was so positive that NMP decided to recommend it as a viable alternative to private CBT or CBT through the NHS which often involved long waiting times.

We hoped to recover some of the costs of the programme and to fund the creation of further programmes on other disorders by charging what we felt was a relatively small amount compared to private therapy - we even made it possible to pay in installments.

To reassure people further we made the programme free for 30 days, sent out a DVD Rom and a 64 page booklet and even included a further 30 days money back guarantee.

Unfortunately as soon as we asked for money the number of people trying it dropped to a very small percentage. Clearly people are too wary of online programmes because of the many 'miracle cure products' that swamp the internet.

Since our main priority is to get the programme out to as many people worldwide as possible, we feel that the only option is to make it free and try to recover the costs in some other way.

IF YOU WANT TO ACCESS THE PROGRAMME FREE NOW

A new website is being created where the free programme will be accessed in the future - but in the meantime ANYONE can access the programme right now FREE by going to this URL

http://ct-online-info.com

You will have to register (just an email) but I assure you you will not be asked for any money at any time. Registering allows us to keep track of how many people are accessing the site and if we have updates we can send them out to everyone.

I just read the first of his 8 Pamphlets Understanding Panic (48 pages) and it really hit the nail on the head. Just as you told yourself you will feel better in 20 minutes and you did and that was because there was nothing wrong in the first place other than allowing yourself to stress about something that was not real.

If you get chance give it a read.

Glad I did now for pamphlet 2 Rapid Recovery Skills

All the best

Ed

backfromthebrink
25-04-13, 22:11
Hi Owen

I had some thoughts about what you've said… I don't know if they're helpful or not.

The first one is that a lot of the fear seems to revolve around 'what if it happens again/if I'm sick' and there seems to be a fear that others will see that or notice it. I guess I'm wondering if you couldn't begin to tell a few people at work that you feel very anxious at the moment and sometimes that makes you want to throw up. It's not such a weird thing for people to relate to - everyone has felt anxious about something in their life and fear often makes people want to throw up.

Strangely, once other people know, I know that my own anxiety is always much better - whatever it is about. Trying to look/seem 'normal' and not anxious creates a lot of pressure and anxiety in itself, because you are having to conceal what you're really feeling. It is a great relief to be able to publicly feel what you feel and for others to know and (usually) offer comfort. Often the anxiety will then go away because all those thought cycles stop. Feeling alone in itself is very anxiety provoking, and there's nothing more lonely than being terrified and no one else even knowing about it.

chicaplatense1
26-04-13, 01:45
Owen, reading your post ahs made me feel so much better!!!
I can just relate to a lot of what you said.
I had the fear of violent thoughts like you and now even though I am no longer having the thoughts I fear having them again.
I also relate to the fear of not having enough social interaction, fear of my life being too boring, fear of not being able to function, fear about my poor apetite. It seems that a lot of these fears involve being overly concerned about our own well being... as if we are constantly checking that we are ok.
Do you find that your Panic and Anxiety are worse on the days that you don't work? I am going crazy now because I will go back to school in 2 months and I am unemployed at the time. I am used to being always busy either with school, or work and waking up every morning wondering "what will I do today? How will I keep busy? I have nothign to do? What's the point of even getting up?" all those thoughts make me anxious. And I am the same as you with regards to getting anxious if I can't hang out with a friend. I worry about being islated and lonely. When I don't have anxiety these things don't worry me and they don't bother me at all but like you said, when I am weak it has a big impact on me. I just wanted to say that I relate to what you are feeling and you are not the only one feeling like that....