PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety/panic attacks!!!

anahi
15-04-13, 12:26
Hi everyone I am a 23 year old woman and have recently had panic attacks/anxiety for the last 2 months and am finding it really difficult to cope with. I have never experienced anything like this before and can't put a finger on what has caused this to happen! The physical symptoms are unbearable and really have affected who I am. I have been to the doctor several times and all they give me are anti-depressants which I refuse to take as I think I am stronger than that. As I have become more aware and understanding of panic attacks/anxiety I think I am getting better but when these sudden feelings of panic come over me It brings me back to square one. I have made what I believe to be positive changes in my life e.g stopped drinking caffine, stopped smoking, eat more healthy and completey cut out refined sugar have really helped allot, I have also been seeing a counsellor which is helping me too. I guess im heading in the right direction and trying to stay positive as this is something which will not go away over night! if anyone could give me any more tips or advice would be great as this is something very new to me.

StaffordEd
15-04-13, 12:50
Hi Anahi

Welcome to the site, I joined today not necessarily looking for a quick fix but for reassurance from those who understand. I am 58 and have recently had my first attacks. I guess you are neither to young or to old. Like you my first came out of the blue without warning. I still have no idea why. The mind is a very powerful object and if not controlled it can make your life very uncomfortable. There is a perceived stigma when it comes to mental issues but it is important to talk about them and not bottle them up. You only have to look at this site and realize that you are far from being alone. By joining you have taken your first step in managing your condition.

Well done and best of luck.

Ed

anahi
15-04-13, 13:44
Hi Ed

Thank you for your reply, I guess sometimes its easier talking about an issues like this to strangers then to close ones. Its just quite difficult accepting that I may have a disorder but I guess thats something I have to come to terms with. I hope you are well and managing yourself!

All the best

Anahi