PDA

View Full Version : Camomile Tea

StaffordEd
15-04-13, 13:58
I have read a number of reports that suggest Camomile tea although not a curer of Panic/anxiety attacks but helps relieve some of the symptoms through relaxation.

has any on any thoughts on this.

Ed

skoosh1
15-04-13, 14:30
I have a couple of cups of it at work and it definatley calms me and releases some of the tension I get in neck and head. Doesn't taste great but it works for me!

PanchoGoz
15-04-13, 14:53
I love the taste, me and my mum drink it with honey in the evenings. Definitely helps you chill. Lots of other threads on this too.

hanj16
15-04-13, 14:56
I enjoy camomile tea and find it relaxing. It especially helps me before bed or when I'm in a cafe as these are some of the times when my anxety heightens.

---------- Post added at 14:56 ---------- Previous post was at 14:55 ----------

I love a dash of honey in mine now and again Pancho, its very therapeutic.

LauraJF
15-04-13, 15:41
I always drink of a cup of chamomile tea when I'm anxious. I find it soothing. I hope you will try it too.

I have read a number of reports that suggest Camomile tea although not a curer of Panic/anxiety attacks but helps relieve some of the symptoms through relaxation.

has any on any thoughts on this.

Ed

Annie0904
15-04-13, 15:57
I drink it a lot. It is advised to drink at least 4 cups per day to get any real benefit.

StaffordEd
15-04-13, 16:30
Thanks to you all who have replied. I will certainly be trying that. Any thing to get a goo nights sleep.

Ed

hopey
15-04-13, 18:31
no I have not heard of this but anything is worth a try. I will have one this evening. thanks.

Bekzie
15-04-13, 19:30
I drink quite a lot of chamomile tea now, I buy the tea with honey already in. My favourite is the chamomile tea with spiced apple, YUM :) I find it really helps to relax me so if I feel a bit on edge I have a cup. Its worth a try :)

hanj16
15-04-13, 20:07
The Camomile with spiced apple sounds lovely Bekzie. Where do you get that from? I'm a big fan of herbal teas! :)

Bekzie
15-04-13, 20:23
The Camomile with spiced apple sounds lovely Bekzie. Where do you get that from? I'm a big fan of herbal teas! :)

Hi Hanj
The spiced apple is twinings tea, all of their camomile tea is lovely. They also do the camomile and honey one I use a lot and lots of other flavours too. I get mine from Asda. £1 a box :)

hanj16
15-04-13, 21:10
Thanks Bekzie! I'll stock up on them when I get the chance! Hope you're well and have had a positive day :)

ritaroo81
15-04-13, 21:22
I drink it too. Love it. took me while to get used to it tho. xx

StaffordEd
16-04-13, 13:39
Here is an article I found

Heavy on Health

Chamomile for Anxiety and Panic Disorder Relief
Posted on April 17, 2011 by admin

Chamomile tea is shown to have a positive effect on people who suffer from anxiety
While chamomile anxiety relief has long been known in alternative medicine, it was only recently that a tea made from the chamomile herb has been proven to really soothe the nerves. A study was conducted on 61 patients who were diagnosed with anxiety disorders ranging from mild to moderate. For eight weeks, the patients were given chamomile extract or placebo, and the result showed that patients who were taking the herbal medicine had substantially less panic attacks compared to those who were taking placebo. It was also reported that patients taking the herbal medication have better general feelings of wellbeing and less adverse reactions as compared to those who were taking placebos.
What is Chamomile?

Chamomile is a name given to a number of daisy-like plants, which are commonly made into chamomile tea and served with lemon or honey. Two varieties, Roman chamomile and German chamomile, are used for herbal treatments but the latter has more common use in the United States. German chamomile or matricaria recutita is also the subject of the majority of scientific researches and can be found almost anywhere except in the UK where Roman chamomile or chamaemelum nobile is better known.

In the United States, chamomile has been used extensively as an herbal tea to treat anxiety and panic attacks. It is also used to treat other health problems such as skin infections, stomach upset, sleep problems, colic, diaper rash and wound healing.

Chamomile has been made into various forms to make it more convenient to use. These include tea, liquid extract, capsule and topical cream.

Why Chamomile is better than Prescription Drugs for Anxiety

The usual anxiety disorder treatments are through the use of antidepressants and anti anxiety medicines. However, there is much concern about the side effects that such drugs cause. Among the unpleasant effects that you can feel when using an anti anxiety drug are lightheadedness, dizziness, dry mouth and memory loss. It also causes drowsiness, which affects your ability to drive a car or use machinery. In women, the use of antidepressants has been observed to cause higher incidence of stroke and suicide. On the contrary, the use of chamomile to treat anxiety has been done with little or no side effects. The most common complaint of those who have used the herb to treat problems associated with anxiety is stomach upset with vomiting and nausea, but this is not a common problem. There are also people who are allergic to the herbal supplement but this should be expected since the herb is related to ragweed, a plant that has been identified to cause allergies in people. Those who have seasonal allergies and hay fevers should be cautious when using chamomile. If allergic reactions develop such as wheezing, chest tightness, rash, itching and hives, the use of chamomile should be stopped immediately.

Who Should Avoid Chamomile

If you are one of the following, chamomile use in the treatment of anxiety should be avoided.
• If you are allergic to the daisy family of plants such as ragweed, daisy, marigold and chrysanthemum
• If you have a bleeding disorder or are taking a drug that increases the threat of bleeding.
• If you are nursing or pregnant, the use of chamomile should be avoided since it is a uterine stimulant. The herb may also cause abortion.