PDA

View Full Version : doc wanted to increase dosage - i refused - was I right?

skoosh1
15-04-13, 14:21
Hi

Was on 50mg of Sert for 20 days then doc upped it to 100mg for another 20 days. I went this morning and he wanted to up it to 150mg. I'm still getting alot of tension in neck and legs but blaming it on the side effects of Sert. I said no as I did not think I have had time to adjust to the 100mg dosage and all I'm getting is side effects everytime I up it.

I can't stop thinking if I should have tried it or give myself more weeks on the 100mg.

Any opinion on this, thanks?

:unsure:

maro111
15-04-13, 15:49
Actually I'd like to know the answer to this. Im only 12 days into 100mg. Still a lot of anxiety and fear but depression a bit better. I noticed an improvement after 5 weeks on 50mg so im guessing that it would take 5-6 weeks to feel the full effects of the 100mg. I think your right to hold off to see how the 100mg willwork for you if you are suffering side effects. 150mg will surely only bring on more intense side effects. Ive been very lucky that havent really suffered any but I have when on other rabs so know how bad they are. At the moment 100mg isn't doing much foe me but 12 days (and 20 days is too soon to tell if a dose will work for you from what I have read). Of course im no medical expert, just giving my opinion for what its worth :):)

---------- Post added at 14:49 ---------- Previous post was at 14:48 ----------

Just to say I have a docs appointment at the 4 week point on 100mg so will be reviewing progress then I guess

Laheed
15-04-13, 16:05
I'm going to review my progress next week. I'm currently on 50mg. At the moment, I don't feel like I want to go up to 100mg as I'm not sure it's worth it. I felt great after 2-3 weeks, weeks 3-4 were a bit horrible, but in the fifth week I'm feeling really good.

Skoosh, my personal instinct (though we should probably be less sceptical of trained physicians!) is you've made the right call. If you can wait, you've almost certainly made the right decision. My rationale for that is, if you can wait then the side effects aren't too bad and you're anxiety/depression can't be too bad either. This might not be true, but I just think if you're in a bad place you're usually desperate to try anything aren't you?

And you're absolutely right to let a dosage settle before making an evaluation.

maro111
15-04-13, 16:39
I'm going to review my progress next week. I'm currently on 50mg. At the moment, I don't feel like I want to go up to 100mg as I'm not sure it's worth it. I felt great after 2-3 weeks, weeks 3-4 were a bit horrible, but in the fifth week I'm feeling really good.

Skoosh, my personal instinct (though we should probably be less sceptical of trained physicians!) is you've made the right call. If you can wait, you've almost certainly made the right decision. My rationale for that is, if you can wait then the side effects aren't too bad and you're anxiety/depression can't be too bad either. This might not be true, but I just think if you're in a bad place you're usually desperate to try anything aren't you?

And you're absolutely right to let a dosage settle before making an evaluation.

Thats a very good point. I was desperate and couldnt wait to get upto 100mg. Mabye your current dose is working enough for you. 150mg is something I will consider if not making progress I would hope for but im not as desperate to make the jump as I was on the lower dose. Only time will tell I guess

reddevil
15-04-13, 16:54
I increased from 100mg to 150mg last Tuesday, so it will be a week tomorrow.
I still have anxiety and worry but the depression has got better.

I'm hoping it's to early for the 150mg to take effective.

maro111
15-04-13, 17:08

Im the same. No improvement on anxiety but depression better. I have read that need high doses for anxiety/ocd

---------- Post added at 16:08 ---------- Previous post was at 16:07 ----------

Let us know of your progress please

reddevil
15-04-13, 19:03
Hi,

Of course I will, currently on 6th day of 150mg and basically depression better but anxiety and worry still present, even with anxiety symptoms still.

Red

maro111
15-04-13, 19:08
Hi,

Of course I will, currently on 6th day of 150mg and basically depression better but anxiety and worry still present, even with anxiety symptoms still.

Red

How long were you on 100mg?

reddevil
15-04-13, 21:49
Hi,

I was on 100mg for around four weeks.

Red

maro111
15-04-13, 22:10
Hi,

I was on 100mg for around four weeks.

Red

Ah cool, did it work at all for you in that time?

reddevil
15-04-13, 23:16
Hi,

Depression lifted and got me back on my feet, which the anxiety path was leading me there and I have good days with the anxiety but its still there and my fears are still strong, which causes the anxiety. I'm hoping increasing to 150mg will help as doctor explained low dose for depression and higher dose better chance helping with anxiety.

Red

Laheed
18-04-13, 23:55
I think also that it takes longer for it to have an effect on anxiety than depression at any dose. I'm still on 50 mg. And though my anxiety is better, I don't think that's the drugs as much as improvements in my general wellbeing and some good talking therapies. And a bit of luck really. Also, since I've been put on 10mg of Ampitrypline in the evening, it's really helped my insomnia, which was the main source of my anxiety.

But 50mg has been enough to take away my depression. And I guess I'm further away from the bereavement which kicked some of it off...

Definitely depression comes first though and if that's gone it's a start. And it hopefully it means the anxiety won't be far off. So hang in guys.

skoosh1
20-04-13, 12:31
Thanks for all your replies. I think I did the right thing by giving the 100mg a few weeks before upping the dose. I'm the same as you all the depression lifted but still getting anxiety symptoms but I'm not dwelling on them as much. Not feeling great the day but had a long week at work so that does'nt help when your tired.