PDA

View Full Version : negative thoughts

LauraJF
15-04-13, 16:14
I recently noticed that after a good night sleep I wake feeling well rested and the first thing I do is to search my mind for a negative or scary thought and start fixating on it. I think this has become a habit that I need to break. I basically start the day with a fresh mind then try to pick up where I left off yesterday and obsess over things that cause me anxiety.

Anyone else do this too?

BobbyDog
15-04-13, 17:52
Yep, that is me. As if I am saying to myself "you don't deserve to be happy start panicking".

It is a habit and a bad one, just try and let the mind chatter wash over you if you can, let it do it's worst while you get on with your life..........................

In theory.:winks:

cazzy
15-04-13, 19:25
Yes this is me too , its always about my past , i cant remove myself from the past and look forward to the future , i dwell on the past .....
Im such a negative person , if something is going right ,i fear theres something i should be looking for to go wrong ...
damn Negativity !! xx

LauraJF
15-04-13, 19:55
Thank you for your replies! It's good to know I'm not the only one. I've read that we should write down our scary and negative thoughts then a truthful, positive statement beneath it.

Pdxdrifter101
16-04-13, 19:17
Hey what sort of scary/bad thoughts have you been having? I've been having a similar deal for awhile now. And recently it's became a habit basically to be like "oh wait, your thinking normal right now, let me think of something bad, like random thoughts of hurting people" even tho I would never hurt anyone.. That's why it's scares me and causes anxiety attacks. It's horrible :(

LizzieM
16-04-13, 19:39
I recently noticed that after a good night sleep I wake feeling well rested and the first thing I do is to search my mind for a negative or scary thought and start fixating on it. I think this has become a habit that I need to break. I basically start the day with a fresh mind then try to pick up where I left off yesterday and obsess over things that cause me anxiety.

Anyone else do this too?

Happens to me all the time too. It's always in the middle of the night, I wake up and start worrying and panicking about alsorts and struggle getting it out of my head. The other night I just kept worrying about my children going out for the day with grandparents worrying something bad would happen to them on the way in the car. Or usually it's work, or people and what they think of me. Just lately I've been trying the breathing/ meditation technique ( think its on this site) where you concentrate on your breathing and try to get rid of the thoughts invading your head. Must say, it is working to some extent. Worth a try :)

PanchoGoz
16-04-13, 20:11
Try putting the radio on when you wake up! Or when you wake up get straight out of bed before the thoughts can set in.

Lilharry
16-04-13, 23:00
I do this too! It's all to do with my health at the moment. My counselor has been working with me on letting the thoughts go. She said you need to acknowledge the thoughts, but tell them that they are not being helpful or useful and that they should go away now. Then you should pep talk yourself about all the good things you're doing to help yourself and how you're looking after yourself etc. I find this really helps, but sometimes when I'm really really anxious it's difficult to do.

Bekzie
16-04-13, 23:03
I do this too I wake up and think "do I feel dizzy" then bam I feel dizzy, and so on until I feel ill and anxious again.