PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from one of the worrying kind.

LongingForSunrise
16-04-13, 08:31
Hello! :)

27 years old.
Male.
Swedish. (Ah yeah, there's a flag in the right corner of the box. Cool. Hehe.)

You know, when it comes to introductions, I've never been good at this. I don't know how to begin or what I need to write, but I guess whatever I feel like goes well in here. I haven't read that much yet, but I'm going to read a whole lot once I come home. I just needed to find an active place, a place I could share my thoughts and my feelings with other people in the same situation. And today I searched for one, and today I hopefully found one.

First, I've been diagnosed with both AD(H)D and Asperger's Syndrome. I am quite high-functioning, as well as not that hyperactive as one of the diagnosis may suggest. I'm actually the opposite, but the psychologists read into too much behaviour sometimes. I'm actually living with a psychologist, specializing in neuropsychology - so I know. (No, she's not a psychologist at home.) :winks:

Second, I'm also "suffering" from panic attacks and health anxiety. Now that is something else, let me tell you. It changed my life in more ways than my neuropsychiatric diagnosis did. I think mainly because at first, I thought I was gonna die. It had huge impact on my life and I have never been the same. Coming up with soon 365 days of fear, tears, blood, anger, surrealism. It's slowly getting better, and I have made much progress. I'm going to write about this in other posts.

I do not have an education, nor do I have a job. I'm going to start studying this fall, catching up on some subjects and then probably study neuroscience or some biological field. I am going to a place where I can do things at my own pace, so I may get stress relief and peace - but still earn money, and do my part.

I'm living with the love of my life since august 3, 2010. It's been very hard sometimes, but most of the time we're having the time of our lives. This period of heavy anxiety made it somewhat harder, but I'm slowly finding my way back home.

Let's see.. That's quite the introduction. Hm, well.. I have a lot of strategies and a lot of experience of both medication and anxiety, as well as about neuropsychiatric diagnosis. I know what it's like to have a parent who isn't there, I know what it's like to have a parent with heavy psychiatric problems (such as psychosis and chronic depression). I know what it feels like to lose someone you love, I know what it feels like when a friends commit suicide or overdose. Hopefully, I can contribute to a lot of you as well as learning from you and take in what you like to share with each other.

I'm exceptionally depended on music, working out, cross-country skiing, mountain biking, skateboarding, words and meanings of truth and beauty, landscapes, animal interaction, nature (astronomy, physics, biology, chemistry etc) and the list goes on and on. I put a lot of effort in trying to come to terms with mortality. Living most of my life thinking it would never end, one gets struck by lightning once you learn that this is not forever.

I can get into that in some other posts. :)

Thanks for reading and nice to meet you.

Edit:

I'm mainly here to discuss anxiety, but I may discuss other things as well if you wish. I read the welcoming private message after posting this.

Suffering from:
Panic Attack Disorder
Health Anxiety

Medication:
I know several medications, not that much about SSRI though.
Currently on: Citalopram (Escitalopram), Xanor (Alprazolam)

Help Experience:
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
Body Awareness Therapy

StaffordEd
16-04-13, 09:01
Hi LongingForSunrise

Good to hear from you. Wow do you have an intricate history. I have been on this site for two days and read many disturbing comments. I am 58 and regard myself as physically and mentally fit with no hang ups or so I thought. I love all the less stress-full things in life, cooking, music, and wildlife.

My first attack was just before Christmas and the most frightening experience of my life. I was like a zombie and having an outer body experience. It was like looking down on myself but I was a stranger. During the evening things began to return to normal.

I now get the normal tight chest, pounding heart and shallow breathing, feeling completely helpless. I am waiting for blood and ECG results to rule out any other possible medical problems.

I hope this site becomes as informative for as it is for me.

Best wishes

Ed

LongingForSunrise
16-04-13, 09:16
Hello Ed! Thanks a lot for the reply.

I can relate to what you write and I am very physical fit. Mentally fit? Hehe. Apparently not, but I guess we're all vulnerable to these things in different periods of our lives. At the time I got these conditions I was surrounded by death and a lot of stress. But they had always been there, lurking about. I know this, because healthy anxiety has followed me for a long time - but only exploded into a full disorder with the panic attacks.

Much like you I had the tightening of what felt like every muscle I have, rapid heartbeats, shallow breathing, feeling completely helpless and afraid. At first, I didn't understand it. But the second time I was convinced I had a heart condition and went to the ER. Everything was just fine. Nothing made any sense to me.

I hope you're only experiencing panic attacks. That's quite weird to wish for someone, but better that than any medical problem. Be well.

/ Markus.

StaffordEd
16-04-13, 09:30
Cheers Markus

Based on the things I heave read on this site I am a picture of health. I just need to get hold of my mind and control it rather than it controlling me. Let battle commence!!!!!!

Ed