PDA

View Full Version : Diazepam Advice

KW
21-09-06, 15:56
Hi

I have been taking beta blockers for the past 2 years, roughly once a week (before a meeting etc), but found they gave me dry eyes so saw the doc yesterday and asked if there was anything similar to Beta Blockers that I could try instead. He's prescribed Diazepam 2mg to take as and when required.

With the beta blockers I would take them 1 hour before a meeting as that is how long they would take to effect me but can anyone please advise how long Diazepam takes to work? Is it like within 5 mins or should I give it an hour like the beta blockers? And also does Diazepam help control palpitations and a racing heart beat? As the beta blockers managed to control this.

Any advice would be really appreciated - thank you!!

KW

'Everyone believes very easily whatever they fear or desire'
- JEAN DE LA FONTAINE

yorkylover
21-09-06, 17:08
Hi Im on beta blockers to,and also diazepam 2mg.I have to take the diaz as and when I need them.Well I had to take one the other day,it seemed to work quite quickley for me,about 20 min.It may take longer in different people.Im on beta blockers all the time.

Ellen XX

vernon
21-09-06, 17:09
Hi KW, I used to take a diazepam about half hour to an hour before a dentist appointment, as I was so scared of dentists/ I think it works faster for some people than others but the effects stays with you for quite a bit. Another think is they can make some people feel very drowsy so if you do have to take I would advise you take half to start with say an hour before the meeting and if you feel this isn’t working take the other half just before you go in. Hope it works and make you feel a bit better. Vernon

Daisybun
21-09-06, 19:12
Hi KW they can work quite quickly and they can make you feel very tired. I found I would feel tired about three hours after I had taken one but they did calm me down when I needed them.

Take care
Daisybun

'This too will pass'

KW
21-09-06, 21:30
Thanks so much to you all for the advice. Feel more confident in taking them now.

Thanks x

KW

- JEAN DE LA FONTAINE

twister
22-09-06, 17:40
Diazepam works in about 20 minutes. The first time you take them though you may feel a little spaced out so I would 'practice' before an important meeting. They don't control racing heart in the same way that Beta Blockers do but they relax you overall meaning those symptoms probably wont arise anyway.

One last thing to remember is that Diazepam is an addictive medication and therefore should be used sparingly and certainly not every day for more than a week or so.

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

KW
27-09-06, 13:30
Thanks for your advice. I did a practice but the Diazepam did nothing for me.

Yesterday i went on a staff away day and in the morning we were all in a village hall and did an exercise where we wrote something that's happened to us in our lives on a piece of paper, put it in the hat then one by one we drew one out and read them aloud infront of the group (24 people). Well straight away i panicked and quickly took a diazepam tablet, 20 mins passed and was still having a full blown panic attack, so took another (they are 2mg) and again it had no effect.

So i panicked even more because it wasn't working. When it came to my turn to read I managed to get my words out, only just. I was shaking head to foot, heart was racing, could hardly catch my breath. Anyway noone seemed to notice but it's really knocked my confidence. I'm going to ask the doc for the beta blockers again.

Social anxiety is so cruel and I know it's my thoughts that do this to myself but it's so hard to break the habit. If i'd have had a beta blocker an hour before i would have been fine as they take away the physical symptoms.

I felt so stupid too as everyone read out someone else's note and then everyone had to guess who it was about. The person it was then had to read the next one out. Anyway when mine was read out i stupidly said 'that's me!' (and the whole point of the game was to guess the person)- i mean everyone roared with laughter as i did too, but i wanted to run out of the room. My problem is i dwell on things and keep playing it over and over in my head. I feel sooo stupid.

Sorry this is so long, just needed to get if off my chest as i feel so down today. I sometimes don't know which way to turn. I've gone to cognitive therapy before, but it only helped to a certain degree. I speak to my mum about it as she is shy in social situations too but i dare not talk to friends or work colleagues about it as I'd only worry more knowing that they know.

Thank god for this website.

Kerry x

KW

- JEAN DE LA FONTAINE

Daisybun
27-09-06, 20:02
Aww Kerry sorry it was so bad for you, maybe they just don't suit you. Not every med suits everyone. Good luck with the beta blockers

Take care
Daisybun

'This too will pass'