PDA

View Full Version : Too scared to take my antibiotics

almamatters
16-04-13, 18:39
Hi, I have been prescribed antibiotics for a sinus infection which has been dragging on for months now. I have been given a different kind of antibiotic and have now had them for 4 days and have still not taken one. Because they are a) yellow in colour b) very big and c) have to take one every 12 hours, my HA has just gone into overdrive and convinced me that they are not ordinary antibiotics and I will have a allergic reaction to them. I don't know what to do. My husband is at his wits end and I am fed up with being like this.

nomorepanic
16-04-13, 18:45
Which ones are they?

almamatters
16-04-13, 18:47
Clarithromycin 250mg Nic

nomorepanic
16-04-13, 19:13
I am not sure I have taken them but the name rings a bell.

The best thing you can do is take one in the day and go and sit in the doctor's surgery. You could let them know this is why you are sat there just in case you have a reaction.

Then they can treat you there and then.

It is highly unlikely you will react but this is something my doctor suggested to me as I hate taking new drugs as well.

almamatters
16-04-13, 19:16
Thanks Nic that is a good idea, would be doctor be ok with me doing that? I know I need to take them but one of the side effects is breathlessness and I suffer with this anyway. I have 28 of them to take as well.

nomorepanic
16-04-13, 20:30
Well you could ask them if you can do this. My doc told me to do it when I increased my beta blockers recently as I have ashtma and was really worried I would get a bad asthma attack.

I didn't go and sit at the doctor's. Instead my mum came and spent the afternoon with me and we went out for lunch and because I was distracted I was fine.

It is just one thing you could try I guess.

nicola1980
16-04-13, 20:46
Hi I've taken them antibiotics for a bad chest infection and it was fine, no side effects at all and Im really med phobic! X x

cattia
16-04-13, 21:20
You could even just go and sit in the waiting room, I bet nobody would ask why you're there and you would have medical staff on hand if you needed them. They will have epi pens there to deal with any allergic reaction ( which I am sure won't happen).

nomorepanic
16-04-13, 21:29
That is what I mean Cattia - sat in the waiting room - not actually in with the doctor.

almamatters
17-04-13, 07:04
Thanks all for replies :hugs:

Magic
17-04-13, 10:19
Good idea to sit in doctors waiting room almamatters. I hope you go on all right with the different antibiotic.
Take care

bernie1977
17-04-13, 10:29
I'm a nightmare with antibiotics. Allergic to penicillin and a lot of the others give me stomach problems but I was ok with clarithromycin. The Doctor said its similar to erythromycin but tolerated better.

Good luck x

almamatters
17-04-13, 19:06
Thanks Bernie and Magic, I am allergic to penicillin as well Bernie so always worry when given a new medication. I am hoping to start them on Friday when my husband is at home, if that fails I will go and sit at the surgery as suggested I'm sure I will feel calm if I do that. :)

jillyb
17-04-13, 22:14
I totally understand you! I have just taken antibiotics for the same problem. The doctor was going to prescribe the same ones as you but I asked him for some others as I had not had those ones before. Even though I have had my ones before I am still sitting here panicking in case I react this time. Not feeling too good but think it is probably the sinus infection and anxiety ( big time ). I have had loads of antibiotics recently because of a tooth infection and this b..... Sinus. Just hoping these will work as I am terrified of being referred to ENT. Take them now and we can try and get each other through it! I hate this HA so much. Hope your sinuses soon get better. They are miserable. X

---------- Post added at 22:14 ---------- Previous post was at 22:13 ----------

ps. I am allergic to penicillin too!