PDA

View Full Version : Mum with Anxiety - new to this forum.

crazymeds
17-04-13, 18:39
Hi, I'm a 38 year old married mother of two, a farmers wife, I work as a part time marketing manager, and have a busy life/social life.

On the surface I'm sure I appear confident, happy, organised and friendly. Probably a bit neurotic, but completely fine.

However, since I was 25 I have suffered from GAD, with specifically a weird sort of OCD/panic about lack of sleep/being tired/getting unwell with M.E. (which I have had in the past)

So I've been on Seroxat, which was great, but stopped working, Citalopram (ditto), and most of the SSRIs. I've taken them through pregnancy, and through the nasty post natal anxiety that I suffered.

Anyway, I'm now on Sertraline 100mg, and I thought everything was ok. I've not had any massive panics for a long long time. Ever since I had my last child though, my anxiety has increased massively. I don't know why....

So now Sertraline has stopped working, and for a variety of reasons (illness in the family, my mother's own mental health not being great, general anxiety about my elderly anxious parents) the anxiety has returned hugely.

For the last 3-4 weeks I have felt sick, shaky, breathless, couldn't sleep, eat or behave normally. I jumped like a scalded cat at any loud noise. Any tiny set back sent me into a hyperventilating anxiety spiral. I was obsessively counting how many hours of sleep I would have, checking my anxiety levels all the time, stressing about my parents and generally being a complete nightmare.

I went to the Drs, who has asked me to reduce down my Sertraline for 7 days to 50mg, so that next Tuesday I can go onto Cymbalta. In the meantime he has given me Diazepam 2mg, and I am taking 2-4 a day.

I hate it, I really HATE it. I feel weak and abnormal. I have always felt lacking compared to many people.

I have made an appointment to see my counsellor. I have never really rated CBT in the past, as I didn't like talking about aspects of my personality and the bullying I went through at school, at which I felt very VERY ashamed. I like to push it all away, and pretend that nothing is wrong. I have always felt very ashamed of being jittery and nervous. Even when I was tiny, I was very anxious, hated leaving my Mum, was bullied like anything and I loathed school/college/work.

I just want to talk to people who are like me!

Do you ever look around at your friends and wonder why you're so different? I don't know a single person who is on anti depressants or who has real problems with anxiety. At the school gate, everyone seems together and friendly (well, I suppose I do too), but of all my friends, no one has ever taken Valium or any anti depressants. Why me?!?

I wish I was stronger and could cope better.

Anyway, that's me. I'd love to hear from anyone who is feeling the same!

LongingForSunrise
17-04-13, 19:48
I actually don't know anyone who doesn't have a problem or eat some form of medication or done so in the past. I do know how it feels to be different, and alone even though you're in a room full of people who love you. You're not weak and abnormal, you're strong and courageous.

I'm new as well. Welcome. :)

Annie0904
17-04-13, 20:16
Hi :welcome: I am sure you will find lots of support here.

Mark13
17-04-13, 21:40
Hi. I'm sure you'll be glad you joined.

There's plenty of advice and support here.

You're not alone. We are like you, well I certainly am :)

All the best.

ritaroo81
17-04-13, 21:54
Hello
WElcome to the forum, ive found it a great help, talking to people like me..

where you said in your post that everyone seems so together.. i used to think this but i had a mini meltdown with my friends/group of moms that i go breakfast with weekly, i found out that one was bulimic, one suffered pnd another was on anti depressants and they all were tackling there own demons.. so it just goes to show everything isnt always what it seems. ive been meeting the girls since 2011 and none of these things had ever raised there heads.

xx

flatterycat
17-04-13, 22:08
Hello

I'm a teacher, confident on the outside and seemingly 'together', but I have terrible anxiety and can be crippled by it. I just wanted to say that you never know what is going on in other people's lives. Since being open about my anxiety I have realised that so many others are/have experienced it also - I know many of my colleagues are on anti-depressants, or struggling with stress.
Many friends are very often surprised when they hear I get anxiety because they think I am so confident.

X

crazymeds
18-04-13, 12:29
Thank you! I feel sort of tearful that there are people out there like me! I feel very odd compared to a lot of my social circle. Thanks so much for the support...