PDA

View Full Version : Interesting appointment with doctor today

nomorepanic
18-04-13, 00:39
I have been having blood in my nose - not nose bleeds as such - for the last 2 months. So when I blow my nose there is always blood.

I did a bit of googling (yes I am allowed 'cos I do not suffer from HA) and found some reasonable explanations like sinus problems or dryness caused by having the heating on etc. This sounded reasonable as because of the cold weather we do have the heating on at home a lot so it is reasonable to assume my nasal passage was dried out due to this.

Anyway as it wasn't getting any better I booked a doc's appointment but could only see a relatively new and young doctor within the next month so took it.

I went today and this is how it went.

I told him I had blood in my nose when I blew it and had done for 2 months.

His immediate reply was that he would refer me to hospital for a nasal endoscopy.

He said that I was on a lot of medication and he noted I was on aspirin and I said yes I do bleed more because of the aspirin.

I asked if there was something else that we could try before that to see if it helped.

He said ok we can try a steroid nasal spray.

The thing is he never asked me anything else like did I feel pressure in the nose or any other symptoms etc like a headache, sore throat etc.

I was quite amazed at how quick he was to refer me for tests when I know these are costly and to be honest the last thing I want is an endoscopy.

I am going to try the nasal spray for 2 weeks then he will call and if I am no better he will refer me.

If you suffer from HA and and was told you were being referred to a consultant straight away would you freak out and assume there was something wrong or feel reassured they were looking at it?

I feel that other options should be looked at first before costly investigations like this.

I will let you all know how it goes anwyay

LucyR
18-04-13, 01:01
Hi, It sound just like what a young inexperienced doctor would do until he gets the years of practice behind him.

nomorepanic
18-04-13, 01:04
It does Lucy but every county has PCT budgets to contend with and you would think he would have been told not to waste money on tests without cheaper alternatives being looked into.

Gotagetthroughthis
18-04-13, 01:10
I do suffer from health anxiety and I would imagine I would worry if I was immediately referred for something, as I would automatically think the doctor suspects something serious is wrong. But it doesn't really apply with nose bleeds for me as ive had them on for years, sometimes 2 or 3 a day for months on end and ive always just been prescribed creams or sprays. They don't bother me as I don't see them as a major health concern, but if I was being refered for anything I imagined might be serious then I would worry.

nomorepanic
18-04-13, 01:15
It hasn't bothered me either Gota but I can see how it would some people.

I was hoping the problem would go away on its own but as it has been ongoing since the beginning of Feb I thought I should get something to sort it out.

I wasn't expecting an instant referral though which is why I challenged it.

I am pretty sure a lot of people on here would have taken the referral and walked out in a panic thinking it was some kind of cancer.

nomorepanic
18-04-13, 01:17
Oh just to add to this I got a letter from the hospital on Saturday telling me I am booked in for an upper abdominal ultrasound scan in May. I have no idea what that is for or who asked for it either so need to ask doc tomorrow about that.

Tessar
18-04-13, 10:04
the blood in nose thing is exactly what i get. i have it on & off all year round but when the weather is particularly warm or cold it is worse. my partner had it for a while & decided to see the doctor. they were given cream for it & told it was an infected bleeding spot. a couple of years ago i had 2 very spectacular nose bleeds in the space of a week; they were really bad & lasted over 30mins & was literally like a tap. but they were isolated cases. Day to day, in my case i'm sure it's just alot of my blood vessels are close to the top of the skin in my nose. I've had it for years & got used to it i suppose. As the nose bleeds didnt come back again i just put it down to one of those things.

swgrl09
20-04-13, 03:22
I find it interesting that he prescribed a steroid nasal spray, as a side affect of those is bloody noses I think! When I was on one, I got frequent blood coming out of my nose when I'd blow it ... Sometimes they suggest using a saline spray in conjunction to moisturize the nasal passage.

Just a thought, I'm not a doc though so I'd go with his advice over mine obviously :)

nomorepanic
20-04-13, 03:38
Oh great lol

I did feel he wanted to refer me and when I asked for an alternative he gave me that

I will see how it goes and maybe try steam inhalation as well

Tessar
20-04-13, 18:26
You'll have to let us know how it goes, Nicola, I am certainly interested in hearing more.

Annie0904
20-04-13, 20:28
Me too as I get bleeding from my nose quite a lot...not heavy bleeding just spots of blood. I have allergies and just put it down to irritation in the lining of my nose from the allergies.

nomorepanic
25-04-13, 00:10
Just an update.

The bleeding has just about stopped.

Had a small amount yesterday (just once when I blew my nose) and none at all today.

I think the spray is working so will see how it goes over the next week.

Tessar
25-04-13, 09:16
that sounds promising nicola

flossie
25-04-13, 11:42
Stop picking your nose!:shades:

It sounds as if you may have a tiny broken blood vessel up your hooter and blowing it keeps opening it back up.