PDA

View Full Version : Pet Panic

stimpy
22-06-04, 03:13
I feel really, really silly and this time tomorrow it will all be over and done with and I will wonder what all the fuss was about.

[:I] But well here goes.

Last week we took the cat to the vets for some flea treatment.
The vet give the cat a swift once over and told us that cat's teeth are foul and disgusting.
5 teeth need cleaning and 1 needs taking out.

We've followed the vet's instructions and given cat nothing to eat. (Much to the disgruntlement of the cat - That I can cope with.)

But cat is due to leave us first thing in the morning as she will be going under anesthetic to have her teeth sorted out.
The truth is I am dreading it.

My mind is doing that mad racing thing, where 20 "what if's" all pop in there at once.

I know it sounds really stupid, and I'm sure the vet wouldn't be giving the cat anesthetic if she thought there would be any problems.
And it is better to have a hungry cat for 12 hours, than to have one with toothache.
But I'm just so worried I'm never going to see her again.

I know it is stupid. This will all be over in no time, cat will be home by tea time, eating 12 hours worth of missed meals and demanding attention.
But all the same I'm worried for her.
I'm filled with over antisipation, I'm shaking, my chest hurts like no ones business and I'm not the one having the anesthetic !

Surely it can't be normal to be worked in to such a state, over a cat having a tooth out - can it ?

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

grlnxdoor
22-06-04, 05:16
Hi,
I know all too well the "what ifs" and the racing mind. I do sympathize! I am sure that the vet won't keep your kitty under any longer than necessary. I bet it will be fine. Best wishes!

kate
22-06-04, 07:01
Yes, the good old "anticipatory anxiety"!!!!!

Although we know deep down that everything will work out well, the panic voice still has to cast doubts in our mind.

Soon be over, Liz, and a very hungry cat will soon be eating a nice bowl of cat food which she will be able to eat properly with no pain!

Kate x

Meg
22-06-04, 08:12
I had three cats - all whom needed dentals . It was a dreadful day . One had to have extra blood tests to check renal function as he was old and fragile. Since then he's had another dental .

All present and correct. No worries. Expect that he might have patches of shaven fur.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

kate
22-06-04, 15:08
Hiya Liz,

How's Kitty? [?]

Kate x

diana
23-06-04, 07:24
Hiya Liz,

Not silly at all.

I think our pets are much like our family and of course when our children or family members have a procedure done, we worry.

Not silly at all. Very "NORMAL", scarey ey????? to think those thoughts could be normal. ;)

Who would`ve thought? LOL............... :)

I`m sure everything will be fine.

I hope all went well.

I have a male Cocker Spaniel, and I had all of those same thoughts and feelings you described when he went in to be neutered.

All went well though, and like you I was wondering what all the fuss was for.

Do post to let us know how you and kitty are won`t you?

Take care sweetie.

Love Diana xoxoxo

stimpy
24-06-04, 09:55
Yes you were all right, and thanks for the words of wisdom.

Puss is doing just fine :D
£1.03, 2 teeth missing and she was home by teatime, fine (if a little stoned.)
We were advised not to give her to much to eat, but the 14 hour wait was just too hard to deal with and she scoffed off a tin of food.
She's got some anti-biotics as the 2 teeth were absessing and rather nasty.
So just got to go back next week to make sure her mouth is healing.

The hardest bit was the waiting as we couldn't collect her till 4pm, and standing on that main road while I waited for the vet to open the door.

So once again everything is fine.
(Apart from the 3 days of feeling like doggy doo, which I am putting down to the event antisipation and the fact it is raining so I haven't done any garden therapy to keep my brain busy. - so I guess that will pass when it is good and ready.)

Thanks for all your support, it just goes to show no matter how silly you feel there is always some one who has felt just as like you, for the same reasons.

Liz xxx

diana
28-06-04, 05:02
Liz,

So glad to hear Puss is fine. :)

We all knew she would be. You knew too, but this old nasty disorder always tries to trick us does`nt it?

Nonetheless, So happy to hear she`s doing just fine. ;)

I hope her healing time will be short, and I hope you are feeling better than doggy doo today. LOL................ :-D

Post to let us know how you are feeling dear.

Hoping you get out to your garden therapy soon. ;)

Take care dear.

Loadsa Love, Diana xxx

stimpy
28-06-04, 23:15
Off to the vets again tomorrow. - But I'm not worried this time as I know she is going to have a check up. [8D]

They want to make sure the horrid stuff has cleared up.
She's just finished her last tablet, so that is a good sign.

Still feeling like doggie doo, why I have no idea. So I've just been keeping myself busy to stop Mr Panic from putting me on the sofa.

At least my veggies and flowers are doing well [^]

Liz xxx

nomorepanic
28-06-04, 23:22
Liz

Poor you - dont we worry about our pets - like they are our kids.

My male puss needs his teeth doing again under anasthetic. The bad news is last time it cost me over £100. I think I am panicking more than him lol.

Glad yours is ok though

xx

Nicola

diana
01-07-04, 00:33
Hiya Liz,

Post to let us know how things go at the vets, though I`m sure everything is going to be fine. :)

Soooo sorry to hear you are still feeling like doggie doo.

I do hope that you start to feel better soon.

Well done you, for keeping yourself busy and keeping MR. Panic at bay.

Soooo happy to hear your flowers and veggies are doing well. ;)

Nic................

Is`nt it the truth? We worrying about our pets like our children? :)

I find that my pets are sometimes more dependable and loyal than my children. Not sure if that is good or bad. :)

So I worry about losing them, then I might not have that ever so often support I need through the day. ;)

I know what you mean about the vet costs. Are`nt they horrid?????

Take care ladies.

Wishing you all good health and coolness. :)

Love, Diana xxxx

stimpy
02-07-04, 01:43
A swift, free check up at the vets and the disgruntled kitty was sent home.

Teeth are healing nicely, so there is nothing to worry about.
No further check ups or medication needed. [8D]

[:I] She made more fuss than I did !

I think because pets become part of the family we do worry about them, especially when they go out and you haven't seen them for an hour or two.
My pets are way better behaved than my children too, I wonder if it is a children thing?.

We are all in the wrong job, we should be vets! We'd be well and truely minted. Time for an NHS for pets. [^]

Liz xxx

diana
02-07-04, 05:27
Hiya Liz,

So happy to hear Puss is healing properly.

I know that is a load off of your mind.

I think it must be a children thing Liz. LOL............ ;)

I agree, we are in the wrong business. Time for an NHS for pets indeed. :)

Take care dear.

Loadsa Love, Diana xxxx

Brownie
03-07-04, 07:44
Hi Liz,

Very glad to hear puss is recovering well : )
I know exactly how you feel.... I have 8 cats! ( I know that sounds crazy lol) And we had to get the spayed/neautered which was horrible because they used to keep them overnight. Luckily with the last cat that got spayed we got to pick her up the same day. But My newest addition (my little molly) has to go soon and I don't think i will be able to handle it! She's my little baby : ) It's funny how we treat our animals as if they were our kids but they basically are! My mother calls all of our cats my brothers and sisters lol.
say hello to puss for me : ) lol
-Christie

stimpy
05-07-04, 15:04
[No]
:(

It happening again !

This time it is the Bunny.

He is losing clumps of fur and his skin in all flaking and horrid underneath.
I looked at a bit of his fur under a microscope, but couldn't see anything nasty wandering about.

I got myself in to a right state over it, and all it did was get me shouted at. [V] "What if this fur thing is catching ? Ooh my Bunny is going to die .." - the usual pet conversation.
I tried to explain, all I wanted was a vet, and everyone was shut over the weekend.

So far so good. He is off to the vets tonight, so I do hope it is nothing serious.

Poor bunny :([Sigh...]

Liz xxx

jo-jo
05-07-04, 20:56
Hiya Liz

So glad to hear that puss is doing well, you know long before I started having panic attacks I would worry myself endlessly everytime my dog Holly had to go to the vets. I think its really quite normal, our pets do become part of our family and we worry as if they were our children. Holly's an old girl now, 12 1/2 years old, and these days I spend my time worring that every day with her is going to be the last although I'm not sure if that's because I'm a panicker or becasue I just love my dog so much - she's been through so much with me over the course of her life and has been the one stable thing that was there for me during a bad patch a few years ago when I was battling with depression.

Hope bunny is ok - it doesn't sound too serious to me and I'm sure the vet will put your mind at rest in the morning. At the worst he or she may have to take some skin swabs to see if its an allergy or anything - even if it is, it will be treatable really easily.

Let us know how you get on tomorrow - good luck

Lots of love Jo xxx

stimpy
05-07-04, 23:12
Thanks Jo

You were right it was nothing serious.

[Duh!]
[^] Just me worrying over nothing and letting them what if's get the worst of me again.

He's got something called fur mites. (- A bit like dandruff, and they are causing a bit of havoc, but are not contagious, unless you are another rabbit.)

So he's been given anti-biotics, some drops on his skin and some shampoo.
We have to go back in 10 days. Maybe more anti-biotics, not sure yet just got to see how he gets on.

Another panic for nothing what so ever !

Liz xxx

sarah
06-07-04, 11:07
Hiya Liz

Glad to hear that your poor bunny has nothing too serious. Ive got 2 cats and they drive me crazy with worry...lol

My big daft boy cat Max went missing last night and we couldnt find him this morning. Steve went in to work late as he was trying to find him. After yelling his name for about half an hour we saw him sauntering lazily over fences from about 6 houses away and he's now passed out asleep.
Guess He Had A Good Night eh?????....lol

love sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

stimpy
06-07-04, 11:45
I hate it when they do that ! :(

There's you worrying yourself half to death thinking that something really bad has happened. That they've gone missing or something worse.
And then they have the cheek to wonder over the fence demanding food, like nothing has happened !

Bunny is looking very sad and bald this morning. :(
His skin looks better, thanks to the shampoo, so that is a start.
Nevermind I will have to double his quota of hugs.

Liz xxx

jo-jo
06-07-04, 17:58
Hiya Liz

Great news about bunny, sounds like he's going to be back to himself in no time. I think pets are a bit like kids though, if its not one thing its another and if one pet's ok another has a problem - at least thats how it always seems with my 2 dogs!

Love Jo xx

nomorepanic
06-07-04, 21:41
Liz - forgot to tell you ....

For some bunny advice you could check out my other Forum at www.mismatch.co.uk/forum!

There is loads about cats/rabbits on there.

Glad he is ok now

Nicola

diana
14-07-04, 03:08
Hi All,

Here we all are worrying about our pets, and offering support to those with pet problems.

Are we fabulous or what? LOL................ :-D

Jo.............

I know exactly what you mean. My Cocker Spaniel has been there for me through thick and thin.

I love him sooooo much.

You are right in saying if it is not one thing it is another. If one pet is fine then it is the other. Just like kids.

As soon as I take care of one thing with my Cocker. Something else pops up, but I love him so what ever he needs I`ll do. He`s been there for me. So the least I can do is be there for him.

Christie......................

That is soooo funny, what you said about your mum calling your cats your brothers and sisters. :)

I do the same thing with my kids. I always tell them our Dog and Chinchilla are there brothers. :)

You all must 'REALLY' love cats ey? :-D

Liz................

So glad that bunny is fine. Nothing serious. :)

Keep us updated on how his treatment goes.

I hope you are feeling a bit better now dear.

Sarah................

So sorry Max went missing overnight.

Well sorry for your worrying, but like you said Max no doubt had a good night ey? LOL....................... :-D

So glad he`s back home now.

Take care all.

Hoping all of your pet worries are nill today.

Love,

Diana xxxxoooo

stimpy
14-07-04, 22:50
Jack of all trades we are [^]

Bunny is off to the vets again on friday morning.
It is likely he will have to have another batch of injections.
But on the plus side he does seem more like his oldself.

It's a good job he likes baths, he's been washed 3 times in the last week.

Thanks for the links Nic, I will check them out.

Just the goldfish to worry about now ! :D

Liz xxx

diana
15-07-04, 00:41
Hiya Liz,

Yes we are. :)

Glad to hear Bunny is feeling like his old self now. Atleast he will be a 'VERY CLEAN' Bunny. ;)

Post to let us know how the visit to the Vet goes on Friday.

Are you having any trouble with your Goldfish right now?

Oh dear I hope not.

I think you could use a break from pet worries for now.

Take care dear.

Love, Diana xoxoxo