PDA

View Full Version : Can I do it dentist terror

traciec39
22-09-06, 01:27
Please can anyone give me any words of encouragment as i have to go to the dentist on monday and have veneers on 6 of my teeth.
I already have been told that it will take approx 6 hours, and im sick with fear!! I am terrified of the injections as ive never had them in my front teeth, also im scared even more of having a panic attack in the chair.
Ive told the dentist all of this and he is getting me diazapm to help, but what if my breathing gets out of control? will i be able to drink water with a numb mouth? Or if i become dizzy etc.
Sorry guys to bore you with this but it feels better to express all my fears, i only wish i didnt have them. I suffer most days with health anxiety, any little sensation out of the ordinary alarms me.
Has anyone been through a similar situation?
I would really love your advise on how i get through monday calmly, and im sure my new teeth will be wonderful and hopefully give me back some confidence as years of panic and anxiety have taken that from me.

thanks for listening
tracie xxxxxxx

I CAN, I WILL , I AM

~S~
22-09-06, 07:46
Hi Tracie

In July I also had six veneers fitted. I have wanted this done for a long time and finally got the courage. I was so worried about being stuck in the chair for so long. I wasnt even worried about the veneers I was worried about being 'stuck'. Anyway I had it done with no panicking at all. The dentist put some stuff on to numb it before the injection (which tastes like bubbe gum) - and I didnt feel a thing. He will only numb the front so its not as bad as numbing the back of your mouth.

Yes you will be able to still drink water and they will look absolutely gorgeous when he is finished. You will be really pleased with the result, having mine done is the best thing I have ever done.

Although it is six hours work mine was done in three hour slots. First the prep and temps fitted and then the veneers fitted. So it wasnt as bad - the worst part of the whole thing for me was keeping my mouth open for so long - it really aches. Your dentist sounds fab and he will probably say to you if you want him to stop to put your hand up. They are used to patients being nervous.

Good luck and let me know how you get on. Enjoy having a hollywoood smile. It will look gorgeous!!

Sarah xxxx

ps: If you start worrying while you are sitting in the chair just think how you will feel when he hands you the mirror when he is finished and you see them for the first time. Its a fab feeling. You might not be able to fully smile at first (cos of the injection) but it wears off after a few hours

kate H
22-09-06, 12:05
Hi Tracie,

Like u I have a major feer of the dentist...... I mean MASSIVE FEAR! I cry when i go in and everything and i still make my Mum come with me even though i'm nearly 22.

I had to have a filling done and my worse fear is injections! My dentist was fab she put this tiny little one in first which i barely felt which numbs it enough so when she puts the bigo ne in you literally dont feel a thing. I managed to get through it with out freaking out.

Have now been to the doctors 4 times to have jabs for my trip to Africa and have lived to tell the tale!

Let us know how u get on im sure your veneers will look absolutely fab!!!

x

****You can never get rid of the butterflies, but you can teach them to fly in formation ****

Louise
23-09-06, 18:25
Blimey! and here am I worring about my bog standard check up next week! Best of luck. I had some big dental work done a few years ago which Iwas v anxious about but my dentist was very very nice and let me have "breaks", ie I could sit upright and take a breather every nowand then. It really helped and made the whole experience bearable. Hope this helps.

traciec39
03-10-06, 19:46
Well I did it!!!!!!!!!

Had 6 and half hours in dentists chair, 15 injections and 2 nerves removed from the front teeth, and i hardly felt a thing.
I was quite panicy when i firt got there but after about 1 hour i calmed down. Cant say i enjoyed it haha, but im loving my new smile!!!!

To all out there who fear the dentist, If i can do it with my terrible PA
anyone can...

Thanx for all your support
luv tracie xx

I CAN, I WILL , I AM

kate H
04-10-06, 09:51
Welldone Tracie thats fantastic, now you can smile in confidence

xx

****You can never get rid of the butterflies, but you can teach them to fly in formation ****

andrea
04-10-06, 21:53
hi a little word of encouragement. i have had panick attacks for several years and in the last 18 mths stopped driving,gave up my managerial position, got divorced. The dentist has always terrified me for much the same reason as yourself. Recently my nine yr old got a massive abcess. I had to take him for a tooth out I was horified at the thought but refused to let him go it alone. I sat in with him and watched it all. I forced my self to watch in detail and although nervous and shaking i new i would be in good hands if i had a problem. There was nothing to it i was so pleased. i conquered a fear helped my son and walked away smiling. Dont be afraid remember nothing will happen to you and think how wonderful yr teeth will be.

Andy