PDA

View Full Version : I started volunteer work today

littleme92
18-04-13, 16:17
I had my first shift today working in a charity shop! I was absolutely terrified for most of it especially when the shop got busy it was just so overwhelming.

All I was doing was putting the clothes on the right racks and making sure everything was in size order.

I haven't been shown how to work the till yet but was told I would be shown next week - I only asked for one shift a week so I will go back next Thursday!

The majority of the time everything felt completely unreal and it still does now!

I am happy that I managed to carry on for the full three hour shift even though I felt awful. I never told anybody there about my anxiety but I don't think they noticed!

I am hoping it gets easier the more I go and then maybe I will feel able to apply for a paid job.

clio51
18-04-13, 16:24
Well done for doing the 3 hours without fleeing.
Once you've been a few times I bet your anxiety levels will come down. It's a very big step to do for somebody with anxiety especially working in front of the public as well.

Edie
18-04-13, 16:28
That's brilliant, I'm glad it went so well!

Magic
18-04-13, 16:35
Well done little me.You will soon get the hang of it. You are doing a very good thing:hugs::hugs:

almamatters
18-04-13, 16:37
Wanted to say well done to you :) , volunteering is a great way of improving confidence and meeting new people, it does lead to paid work as well.

littleme92
18-04-13, 16:44
Thanks so much guys :) I'm nervous about learning how to work the till next week though but I am trying to face my fears and just hoping that I will get less anxious with time.

theharvestmouse
18-04-13, 18:12
Well done, volunteering is a great way to get out there and do something positive.

Ingenious
18-04-13, 23:55
Yes to echo the comments above, really well done :)

littleme92
19-04-13, 13:18
Thanks for your lovely responces everybody :)

Gotagetthroughthis
19-04-13, 13:33
Well done Little_me thats great, im sure things will get a little easier each week and you will feel great once you get used to using the till and the other things they ask you to do. It deems daunting at first but after a couple of goes you will find it all easy :)

Im thinking of doing some voluntary work myself since I lost my job due to anxiety and I don't feel ready for a full on job yet. Its great to see you have gone for it and gives me the urge to do so aswell.

Keep up the good work :)

nusadin
19-04-13, 15:26
Great! Keep going, one day(I hope soon) You will able to earn money,I that is even better than this:D

Granny Primark
19-04-13, 15:58
Well done:yesyes:
I did 2 mornings a week working in a charity shop but packed it in cus it was 2 bus rides away or a long walk.

Bekzie
19-04-13, 16:12
Thats great Little me. Be proud that you are doing something positive :hugs:

littleme92
25-04-13, 15:06
Hi, I just thought I would post an update. I had my second day today and I actually felt a bit better than last week despite a major freak out yesterday worrying I wouldn't sleep and then collapse but I managed to sleep last night so at least that was one weight off my mind!

I still haven't worked the till yet but I have been watching others and it seems pretty simple, allthough I get very very nervous speaking to people so I am hoping I won't have a panic attack!

Today I was putting clothes on the right hangers and sorting out the books making sure that people hadn't put them back in the wrong places (as they should be in alphabetical order).

I was terrified this morning but it got easier as the day went on. I know it is only three hours a week but I feel that it is realy a major step forward for me