PDA

View Full Version : Week 6 on Fluoxetine - please tell me this will all be worth it!

becuille
19-04-13, 13:26
Hi, everyone. I was prescribed Fluoxetine 20mg for panic disorder, GAD and depression. I took it for 5 weeks and noticed a big improvement in my depression (I actually hadn't realised how bad it was till I got some relief from it). It's been so nice to be able to take some pleasure in the simple things in life and count my blessings without instantly thinking "Yeah, but it all sucks anyway" afterwards.

But my anxiety levels have been through the roof. I know that's a normal side effect of the med and I understand it can take up to 8 weeks for that to wear off, but it's still hard to cope with.

Yesterday, I went back to the doctor and she put my dosage up to 40mg because she felt if it was tackling my depression then it was working for me, I just needed more for it to hit the anxiety too. I agreed and started the new dose today.

Ugh. I'm so shaky and my heart is racing. I just can't relax or get my head straight at all. I occasionally take Valium for the anxiety, but because I've been prescribed it recently, my doctor won't give me any more right now, so I have no choice but to ride this out.

I get that it's just side effects, but I just hate feeling so panicky. I mean, god, I developed agoraphobia just to avoid anxiety, and now I'm deliberately doing something that causes it :doh: lol.

I guess all I'm looking for are some comforting words that this will pass and I'm on the right track. Anyone out there have any similar experiences that turned out for the best? I'd love so much to hear about it. :)

aeroz21
20-04-13, 23:10
Hi Becuille,

I've been on fluoxetine three times over the years, and each time the initial side-effects were almost unbearable. Though, like you, my depression seemed to be lifting ever so slightly, the anxiety took longer to get under control. It was especially bad in the mornings just after waking.

But, once all that horrible stuff eventually went away, I began to feel better almost by the day.

I hope that has given you a bit of reassurance. Fluoxetine is great when it starts to work. I've been on it for 3 years and haven't had a major break-down since.

becuille
21-04-13, 11:58
Thank you so much, that really helps, especially since yours seemed to go exactly the same way my is just now with it working on the depression but not the anxiety. I just needed to hear from someone who has been there to remind me it's worth sticking this out. Thank you.
I'm so glad to hear it's helped you for 3 years too, that must feel amazing for you to be able to get your life back. Here's to 3 more! (at least)

hopey
21-04-13, 15:10
hi becuille... Relief...have had a dreadful 3 days on taking 40mg fluo. put up two weeks ago from 20mg.
feel just as you describe feel my head and eyes do not belong to me. thanks for the info. Hope you soon "Ckick" in and me too!!!!! hopey

Princess2206
21-04-13, 16:57
Hi Hopey,Becuille and Aeroz21,
Please be patient with fluoxetine. I was 7 weeks on 20 mg and tomorrow I am starting 13th week on 40mg. They really works and you will feel much better soon. I used diazepam during first weeks to help my anxiety and panic attacks. I was real mess few moths ago and I thought I never be normal again but no I really feel better. I can also suggest Dr.Weeks book "Essential Help for your nerves" which is amazing and helped me a lot. Hopey you may feel a bit worse after taking higher dose of fluoxetine but it is not going to last long :) big hugs and keep posting :)

becuille
28-04-13, 12:03
Hang in there, Hopey. I'm now feeling tired constantly - I slept for 11 hours last night and still feel like I need more sleep. I'm hoping that one will wear off soon. But on the plus side, my depression has lifted so much that I'm able to feel much more positive about everything, including the anxiety. I'm noticing periods where I feel calm and happy. They don't last all that long, but the fact that I'm getting them makes me hopeful that this is really starting to work.
The problem with being bumped up a dosage is that I think you pretty much go back to square one with side effects. But we can do this!

Thanks, Princess2206, I really do want to keep going with it because I'm sure it's helping. It's just a case of being patient. If nothing else, it's really made a huge dent in my depression which feels like a huge weight has been lifted. Now if I could just stop being tired and jittery, that'd be great :D
That Claire Weeks book is a really helpful read, good call.