PDA

View Full Version : Skin Cancer Fears (again)

Glyph
19-04-13, 16:17
Sorry to keep turning up freaking out all the time.

I’m pretty much convincing myself that I have skin cancer here. There’s a large spot on my upper back: not a mole or anything that’s been there since forever, just a regular spot, the kind lots of people get on their backs, if a bit bigger than is usual for me. Naturally this does not stop me freaking out. It’s been there, to the best of my knowledge, for about five days. Can melonoma's come from simple spots?

I’m currently undergoing CBT to try and help with stuff like this, so I’ve been doing all the basics but I don’t seem to be calming down. It’s sore a lot of the time, but that’s probably because it’s near to the strap which is probably aggravating it.

I've started mentally running through my entire life here. I'm 26. I've never used sunbeds. I remember getting sunburned a few times as a kid/teenager, but I usually wore decent strength sunscreen. Still, a friend of mine (who grew up with me and thus often ended up with the same sunburn at the same time :huh:) died of skin cancer when he was 21, so that’s probably not helping my anxiety. And I have a pretty rubbish diet: there's a lot of artificial stuff in it, and I don't eat nearly enough fruit and veg. Heck I don't eat ENOUGH in general and what I do eat is bad stuff. I’ve been getting stomach and chest aches that are probably anxiety caused as well but it's so hard for me to seperate my fears from actual symptoms. :weep:

Does anyone here have similar experiences? I really don’t want to go to the Doctor’s again; I don’t want to be a pest, and they already know I’m receiving CBT, so will probably tie it into anxiety anyway (heck for all I know they’re right!)

How do you stop panicking?

beauty2010
20-04-13, 00:12
Hi
I know how you feel. I am sure it is just a spot.
When I was growing up nobody ever checked a mole, and the vast vast majority of people were absolutely fine. Now I am forever checking my kids skins because of the publicity about melanoma, which is actually quite rare. Trouble with your skin is it is always checkable and visible, and that little spots, pimples, scars and rashes are always coming and going. At your age, you are extremely unlikely to die of melanoma. You are much more likely to live a long and healthy life.
I have no answers, just sympathy. You are not alone!!
B

Glyph
22-04-13, 21:21
The sympathy alone is a help, thank you very much.

I know it's irrational to worry about so many things s often. You'd think I'd have learned after the first few times, but it's still lovely to find people who understand where I'm coming from. I've been trying to resist the urge to explore anything to do with it (hence why I took a while to get back to you. Sorry!)

The CBT helps a little, but there's only so much I feel I can do to change thoughts that have been so long in the making. I mean, I discovered I actually have a mole the other day right at the small of my back. Well, I panicked, then went to my mother... who informed me that this mole has been there since I was born. I just didn't know it because you can't usually see it.

What am I going to do with myself...? :lac:

Uncertain27
22-04-13, 21:28
I don't think melanoma can start from a spot, it's always a mole AFAIK. I quite often (possible TMI) get a big spot right in the middle of my back where my bra clip touches, and suddenly think "What on earth is that?!" when I notice it. :blush:

panicperson
23-04-13, 21:51
Hi I have previously had this anxiety. I went to a dermatologist who glanced I er all my moles and said they was fine. I was worried a few weeks back as a mole turned black and fell off. This left a red spot really soar. Went to GP and she said it was a skin tag which I just caught, and it will heal. Sure enough, it did and its now fine!
I have noticed many new moles and spots in my skin. They can develop up to around 30yrs if age. Just be aware if them but try not to panic.