PDA

View Full Version : My Agoraphobia Problem

Loretts
19-04-13, 18:06
I'm just having a hard time understanding how to overcome agoraphobia.

I understand that what I need to do is put myself in those situations that make me feel uncomfortable and ride them out and prove to myself that I can be in the situation and be fine, and I always am, and I come home and feel proud of myself, but what I then do is when the next time arrives that I need to leave the house to do something I basically tell myself "well, nothing might have happened so far, but something could happen THIS time" - it's like no matter how many times I'm in agoraphobic situations and I deal with them and nothing happens, I'm still apprehensive about the next situation and the next.

I just don't know what to do :(

LauraJF
19-04-13, 19:58
I'm trying to overcome agoraphobia also and I understand the thoughts you experience. It would be helpful if you write your scary thoughts down then a truthful positive statement under it and read it to yourself a couple of times a day.

For example, to challenge this thought,
"well, nothing might have happened so far, but something could happen THIS time"
You could write something like,
That's just a negative thought and if something does happen I know how to cope by taking deep breaths and allowing the feeling to pass. I will be fine just like last time. The more I practice the easier this will get.

I'm just having a hard time understanding how to overcome agoraphobia.

I understand that what I need to do is put myself in those situations that make me feel uncomfortable and ride them out and prove to myself that I can be in the situation and be fine, and I always am, and I come home and feel proud of myself, but what I then do is when the next time arrives that I need to leave the house to do something I basically tell myself "well, nothing might have happened so far, but something could happen THIS time" - it's like no matter how many times I'm in agoraphobic situations and I deal with them and nothing happens, I'm still apprehensive about the next situation and the next.

I just don't know what to do :(

Loretts
20-04-13, 01:40
Thanks for the advice :)

Just after I left this message I went to the shops with my "safe person" and although I felt the symptoms of an oncoming attack I once again managed to tell myself it was just adrenaline and once again I was fine, I just need to make myself believe that I will be fine every single time and no longer feel the apprehension of going out.

I will try writing how I feel down so that I can look back on my successes like that, sounds like a good plan :)

Tish
20-04-13, 11:13
I think you're doing really well and deserve a big pat on the back for putting yourself 'out there'. It seems that you're doing everything right and I promise you that eventually the fear will go when you realise how silly those negative thoughts are. You're already proving them to be wrong.
I have agorophobia and am afraid to leave the house alone but while I'm with my hubby I'll ask him to wait outside while I go into a shop and then I advanced to waiting in queues at the till. It was a massive thing for me, I was shaking with fear but now it's so easy because I've got used to it and realised that nothing bad happens, it's just intrusive thoughts trying to put me off.
I've still got a long, long way to go but little things are the baby steps to recovery.

Jamesflames
21-04-13, 20:44
I get that feeling too from time to time. I find it helps to remind yourself that, because the panicky adrenaline roller-coaster is a natural process, you have already experienced the worst it can do to you and yet here you still are. You have already been through the process of panic loads of times. There is nothing else it can do to you, and it feels pretty unpleasant but that is it, nothing more.

Loretts
22-04-13, 00:53
Thanks Tish for your kind words :) I've been in similar situations when going to work, I have to walk down this path by a canal and each time my "safe person" would let me walk a little more of it each time. I'm sure one day we'll both get there :)

Jamesflames, I understand what you're saying and I agree but the problem is making my subconscious believe it haha, I don't think deep down I really believe I've had the worst of it, but I know you're right. I think I'm quite lucky because I don't get the rapid thought process so once I start getting symptoms like rapid heart beat and tingling hands I can quickly tell myself it's just adrenaline and that's why I'm always able to carry on, and yet I still always feel apprehensive about the next outing. I think I believe that one day I won't be able to control my thoughts and the panic will take over me, but really I know it won't haha this probably doesn't make much sense. Just wish I could click my fingers and it all be gone *sigh*