PDA

View Full Version : Do I push for scans, or try to trust the docs?

flatterycat
19-04-13, 19:52
Hello

HA has always been an issue for me, but I have lots of time when it is manageable. At the moment it's quite bad. Started because I convinced myself I have kidney cancer (trace blood on dipsticks, which I've always had) and back pain. The initial back problem has gone and I now find that I have become hypersensitive to the whole area of my tummy and back. I can feel all sorts of pains here ther and everywhere and have found two areas on my back and stomach where I have a more prominent area to the left. Anyway, doc examined me for the umpteenth time today, giving me a guided tour of where my organs were in the process! Assured me that any lumps I could feel we're part of me and that everything felt completely normal.

Anyway I keep swinging from paying for private ultrasounds or asking for referral to accepting that this is an anxiety problem and that I should trust the docs. It's the uncertainty I hate, I want constant 100% guarantees that there is nothing wrong, but I know that's impossible. My husband is very supportive but against me seeking scans. His point being that if I have scan, I will feel better for a short time, but then move onto another body part. I keep thinking that a scan will reassure me and catch anything before its too late! He reminded me of the time I pushed for an MRI and ended up having more tests because they found something, which turned out to be completely fine, but they still had to do further tests to just confirm it was nothing to worry about. So, I see his point. But then I think, well if I just get a scan done and its clear I can move on...

I know that no one on here can tell me what to do. I've seen numerous docs and they have all been very good at listening to me and taking me seriously, but none of them think I need any further tests. I suppose I'm wondering what you all think about the situation - do I go for scans and (fingers crossed) feel better if all ok? Or do I trust the docs and try to sort out the anxiety without relying on more tests to reassure me? What are your thoughts on pushing for scans?

Sorry to ramble ....
Sarah x