PDA

View Full Version : gabapentin

James)
20-04-13, 15:49
Hi so been to the doctor and he has giving me gabapentin anyone had any experiences with them thanks

Mark13
20-04-13, 16:12
Hi so been to the doctor and he has giving me gabapentin anyone had any experiences with them thanks
If I may ask, what have you been prescribed this for?

I believe it's used for bipolar disorder anxiety and nerve pain (my wife takes it for the latter).

James)
20-04-13, 16:17
Hi phoned nhs 24 and went seen a doctor my anxiety has got worse the past week also been feeling down so told the doctor and gave me gabapentin never heard of them am already taking propanol 80sr

Mark13
20-04-13, 17:15
It's very unusual to be prescribed gabapentin for anxiety, I presume it must be an off-label use. I'm sure your GP knows what they're doing :)

Hope the medication helps.

starlight78
20-04-13, 17:59
Gabapentin is increasingly prescribed for anxiety within mental health services. I'm pretty sure it is licenced for nerve pain, epilepsy and anxiety.
I haven't used it myself but have heard several positive experiences.

James)
20-04-13, 18:50
Wonder why he's gave me them? Got me thinking now

---------- Post added at 18:50 ---------- Previous post was at 18:08 ----------

Been reading good reports from people who take gabapentin
For it can't post the link but not reached 10 posts yet lol

Oatcake
22-04-13, 09:13
My GP refused to give me gabapentin, buspirone or anything else which didn't specifically say it was a mood lifter, and would only offer me antidepressants, which had never worked for me. I don't think she was very experienced in anxiety. Sounds like you have an open minded doctor who keeps up with treatments :)

hanshan
22-04-13, 11:19
Gabapentin for anxiety has mostly been replaced by pregabalin, a related medication.

Pregabalin is licensed in the UK for the treatment of Generalised Anxiety, and you will find quite a bit of information concerning pregabalin from earlier discussion threads.

buckeroo
22-04-13, 12:45
im on gabapentin and mirtazapine, the gabapentin is because i suffer from a bad back(i broke it) and he said it willl help with anxiety,as i was quite depressed due to the pain of my back 24/7. do yes it will help you, i took 300mg for 1 week now im on 600mg a day, it makes you quite spaced out the second week on,but after you get immune to them, you will be fine. hope this helps

almamatters
22-04-13, 19:48
Gabapentin is generally prescribed as far as I know for nerve pain and increasingly for fibromyalgia , I had no idea it can be prescribed for anxiety.

xtremx
22-04-13, 22:11
Yes my doctor was going to give me Gabapentin for GAD but the only info they had on it was very out of date..

Gabapentin in like Pregabalin as it is one of them drugs that is commonly called an umbrella drug (They treat many a problem).