PDA

View Full Version : Intrusive thoughts/Prozac

Paul7
21-04-13, 09:35
I have posted a few threads over the past few months regarding instrusive thoughts and meds. I have tried 2 different SSRIs for OCD to help with intrusive thoughts both I feel have made my thoughts a lot worse and more frequent but have lifted my gerneral mood that's it. They are citalopram and Prozac. I am currently on my 6th week of Prozac 40mg and not seeing any Benefit I have explained to my doc and CBT therepist and both feel it's not the meds increasing the intrusive thoughts it's myself. I am desperate for some advice on this as not comfortable on SSRIs but have suffered for 12months with severe OCD and feel the CBT and exposure therepy is not really helping either am at my lowest point ever.

Tufty
21-04-13, 10:37
Hi Paul,
I don't usually suffer with intrusive thoughts I only get them if I'm depressed. However when starting SSRI's I do get them and understand how distressing they can be. With every SSRI I have tried I get intrusive thoughts for the first 4 weeks and then they completely go but the SSRI's haven't helped my anxiety or depression.
I have recently started Mirtazapine and so far I have not noticed any intrusive thoughts and my depression is lifting and anxiety is lessened. It is not unusual to have to try more than 2 drugs, I have tried 4 SSRI's, 2 tricyclics, a MAOI and a SNRI over the years - there are lots of options available to you. If you believe the drugs are making your intrusive thoughts worse and you've been on them for more than 6 weeks I would suggest you return to your doctor and stress this fact. I have found that I feel worse on SSRI's rather than better, particularly at higher doses but doctors dispute this, however we know ourselves best and if you think you're not right and as you say 'at your lowest point ever' your current drug therapy is not working.
Go back and see your doctor or ask to be referred to a psych.
Take care
Sam

Paul7
21-04-13, 12:03
Thanks tufty it's a difficult choice to make I really want the meds to work but hate being on them so don't think thats helping I really believe they are aggravating things and dont want to continue but scared of people saying your not helping yourself by taking them.