PDA

View Full Version : How do we give our nervous system sufficient rest?

saintdee
21-04-13, 10:47
Hi

I have been constantly looking at the symptoms page on this site and alot of the symptoms say that when the nervous system get sufficient rest the symptoms with subside and eventually go away! It all sound great, but my question is how can we give our nervous system that rest? What are we meant to do? Any tips on how this is achieved?

I would try anything now as its daily for me and I am sure my nervous system is pretty much at breaking point after all these years.

So any advice?

busterrufus
21-04-13, 12:13
yes I wonder the same thing. It must be psychological rest that's needed I would think. But how to achieve this, does anyone know? I use relaxation methods and mindfulness techniques but they simply are not effective when my anxiety is really bad, my negative thoughts are too overwhelming. Advice welcome.

Dazza
21-04-13, 14:10
Exercise I use walking while listening to music.... and meditation... doesn't always work when in a blind panic, but it's a good habit to get into to keep the mind generally calm. I've found that meditation has been helping me with anxiety inducing feelings like anger and fear....

I"ve also been reading books about Buddhism, there are some good books the the Dalai Lama, such as the Art of Happiness and Open Heart: Compassion in Everyday Life... these books teach about love, compassion, mediation.... all things that can give us a sense of calm... Buddhism also teaches us to let go, which is often what we do the opposite of... by holding on to certain thoughts of beliefs, we become anxious... just a thought, it will not help everyone, but I'ts been helping me to have a bigger perspective and to feel (not all of the time I admit) calmer about some things!

Peace and love to all.

hopey
21-04-13, 14:45
thanks buster and dazza. your replies are interesting. I too do try to meditate but very difficult when one is down. today is a bad day so any info is good. from hopey

Dazza
21-04-13, 15:23
I've learned many things from Vietnamese Buddhist monk, Thich Nhat Hanh... here he talks about nirvana, fear of death, and freedom from suffering....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odWIPhj-ivohttp://

Hellsbells1977
21-04-13, 15:58
Definitely exercise, well it works for me.. I took up cycling again in the new year, and it definitely makes your symptoms subside! :)

LongingForSunrise
21-04-13, 17:13
Exercise, healthy food and sleep, sleep, sleep. Sleep at least 7-8 hours. If you exercise, you will make it. Don't take an afternoon sleep. Don't drink coffee late and don't drink too much alcohol.

Don't over-do things. If you miss the bus, miss the bus and don't think twice about it. Take the next one. SMALL STEPS. That works well for me.

It's a quite simple life, but so hard to manage with anxiety. Just keep on doing it though. If it's hard it's hard. It's the only way to be free and to let the brain and body rest to the maximum.

Not a very funny advice, I know.. Trust me, I know it's hard. But we have to keep on doing what's hard to make it natural once more.

sarahsarah
21-04-13, 17:17
Daily walking really helps enormously. As does staying off the Internet. I know it is virtually impossible to do that for most people these days but at least try and cut down. I recently had more than a week away where I was unable to use the Internet & even my phone didnt work out there. It was truly liberating. Now I am back, I try to limit myself to half an hour a day on the web and never in the evening but I don't always stick to it.

Hope you feel better soon xx

busterrufus
21-04-13, 22:13
sarah I think you are right. I've only been looking at nmp website for a few days but it has generally made me feel wore I think. full of dire warnings about the symptoms I have even tho docs have checked me and cleared me. i'm sorry to realise that some people just like to scare others.

sarahsarah
21-04-13, 22:45
Actually, NMP is the one site that has made me feel better. Whilst you are right, there are some Internet users who deliberately set out to scare people (Yahoo questions is an obvious example), I haven't identified anyone on NMP who does that. That said, there have been occasions in the past that I have taken time away from NMP because after all it is a health- related forum and sometimes I just need a break from anything at all to do with health, so I can deffo identify with you there, busterrufus.

I personally benefit from cutting down on Internet useage overall, rather than any specific sites, though limiting my time does mean I don't spend hours googling health conditions and scaring myself witless. Xx