PDA

View Full Version : Apnea or Anxiety or Both?

Fergie1065
21-04-13, 13:49
I have a terrible time sleeping, but this is relating to when I do sleep and when i'm dosing off to sleep.

When i'm dosing off to sleep, I always find myself jumping up gasping for air as if someones just shocked 1000 volts through my body, heart racing, out of breath, the classical anxiety symptoms but with that jolt. On a few occasions I've literally jumped right out of bed with it.

I've also noticed myself waking up in sheer panic and gasping for air as if i haven't been breathing in my sleep.

Even during the day sometimes i feel as if I forget to breathe and I'm always focused on it taking very shallow breaths, deep breathing makes me feel more anxious. Even after getting my 8 hours I still feel pretty tired during the day, but never enough to actually fall asleep during conversation or anything like that I just feel groggy.

I'm scared that I may have central sleep apnea after doing the wrong thing and consulting Dr Google. I'm going to ask my GP to arrange a sleep study but I thought I would post here to get some opinions.

Does this sound like anxiety or central sleep apnea? or does it sound with both?

Do any of you suffer central sleep apnea and if so how dangerous is it?

lilboops
22-04-13, 17:43
That "jolt" is a classic anxiety symptom (adrenaline), and it sounds like you're waking up with a panic attack.

It wouldn't hurt to talk to your doctor, if you're worried about apnea, but really, this is *exactly* how my panic attacks typically start.