PDA

View Full Version : I am sick of going to the doctor, help!

Nico
21-04-13, 15:25
I have had anxiety for the best part of a year now, had a fine chest Xray and other tests, but one blood test said that I may have a slightly overactive thyroid, but the follow up tests were fine so my doctor left it. However I cant stop looking at symptoms of an overactive thyroid and thinking how similar mine are. I realize that my symptoms like fast heart rate, chest pains, tingling etc can be caused by anxiety, but I can't stop worrying the tests were wrong. I am in a panic that I will get a thyroid storm and die. I also don't want to go to the doctors again, its always the same, I go in a panic and my doctor reassures me, I am fine for a couple of days, then I panic again. What should I do?

Bekzie
21-04-13, 17:24
Your doctor has given you tests and they are fine so it is very un likely that you do have that problem. Have you asked your doctor about counselling or therapy? I think you could benefit from that. Feel better soon and remember you are not alone

LongingForSunrise
21-04-13, 17:39
I've been to 5 different doctors about my heart. All of them said it's fine, one even called the cardiologists office and they said everything looked absolutely normal. I had high blood pressure, but it was very normal due to stress. They took blood samples and it were fine. No problem.

It's most likely the anxiety speaking. I'm into it everyday still. "What if it's something really rare?" "Why can't I do all the tests they do for the heart?" "Why doesn't anybody understand that something is f-in wrong with me?"

All these questions. I told my psychologist I wanted 100% guarantee I am fine, he told me: "what if I tell you that you will never be 100% guaranteed you're fine?" And I mumbled and tried to give any response that would argue against it, but the truth is that we'll never be 100% guaranteed.

You should definitely speak to a psychologist. A psychologist may provide with a lot of information about how and why you're brain makes you behave the way you do. And there are a lot treatments. The thing right now is mindfulness-based cognitive behavioral therapy. Because it focuses on everything as well as feeling without judging physiological or psychological sensations. It's tough, takes time - but is very efficient if done properly. As with everything else, one has to individualize your therapy and you may respond quicker/slower or better/worse than other - but that's how it is with everything else.

Good luck. :)

Nico
21-04-13, 20:31
Thank you so much for the replies, I hate the uncertainty regarding health haha. I guess I should not worry so much, may try CBT