PDA

View Full Version : Just called in sick...feel so guilty

GirlAfraid23
22-04-13, 07:56
Hi everyone.
Ive just called in sick with a throat and ear infection.
Im going to the doctors later today.
The last day I had off was end of January. I feel very guilty even thoigh I am ill and feel as though I am going to get into trouble.

---------- Post added at 07:56 ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 ----------

I also didn't sleep well last night and have bad insomnia lately.

bab
22-04-13, 08:09
Petal, dont feel guilty. You are obv not well especially as you are going to the doctors. Everyone gets poorly

GirlAfraid23
22-04-13, 08:13
Petal, dont feel guilty. You are obv not well especially as you are going to the doctors. Everyone gets poorly

Thanks but I feel as though I'm doing something wrong...And that I might get the sack.
Started job in sept, had 5 days off altogether since then. Is this bad?
Will I lose my job?

Oatcake
22-04-13, 09:16
I'm sure you'll be fine if you've been there since September. People get ill, it's a fact of life, and five days is not unreasonable. Are you on any sort of probationary period? Check your contract to be sure. If you're worried, why not ask the GP to provide proof that you went there. Hope you feel better soon :)

GirlAfraid23
22-04-13, 09:54
I'm sure you'll be fine if you've been there since September. People get ill, it's a fact of life, and five days is not unreasonable. Are you on any sort of probationary period? Check your contract to be sure. If you're worried, why not ask the GP to provide proof that you went there. Hope you feel better soon :)

I've asked for one before and they only provided them if you pay.
I suppose I could ask for a copy of my prescription if I get one.
I think there is a 6 month probation period. So should be just over that now.
I'm not sure where the copy of my contract is but I will try to find it later.
I text one of my colleagues today and he came back with a really short text like he was annoyed with me :-( I am scared to go in tomorrow now.

Oatcake
22-04-13, 10:12
I've asked for one before and they only provided them if you pay. I suppose I could ask for a copy of my prescription if I get one.

That's an idea. Do you have an appointment card? If not, ask for one at reception. Our doctors will give you the details of your appointment on a slip of headed paper if you don't have a card.

I think there is a 6 month probation period. So should be just over that now.
Excellent stuff :yesyes: If you're not in a union, get yourself signed up. My union rep has been worth his weight in gold.

I text one of my colleagues today and he came back with a really short text like he was annoyed with me :-( I am scared to go in tomorrow now.

Oh, I feel for you. I have had this happen. You feel sick wondering what you did, and out of the loop, and all the worst case scenario thoughts start. He may just have been really busy though, or rubbish at texting, so don't write him off. Texts aren't great for conveying emotions, sarcasm or whatever has happened to your colleague for the rest of the day. Leave it until your colleagues until you know he's at home and comfortable, and try again.

Edie
22-04-13, 10:56
I always get nervous returning to work after illness too, but it's always gone just fine. Maybe your colleague just didn't want to bother you with a long text while you are poorly. Hope you feel better soon!

flori
22-04-13, 11:04
I really feel for you too girlafraid. Try not to worry about going back to work.I know its easier said than done but you have been sick and it is not your fault. If your boss doesnt like it then he/she is the one with the problem.

hanshan
22-04-13, 11:46
I'm not from the UK, but Australian sick leave provisions usually allow for fifteen days sick leave per year (which can be accumulated). I have to say there are big differences according to which employment sector actually takes this leave.

(Again in Australia) you need to get a doctor's certificate for time away from work of three days or more.

I'm not sure of the UK situation, but be aware of your rights. If they are broken, your union is who should defend you.

StaffordEd
23-04-13, 12:28
Hi GirlAfraid

Providing you have notified your employer as required in your contract of employment, then having the odd day of for genuine illness should not be an issue.

Because of the administrative problems that employers would face if they had to wait
up to 7 days to be notified of a sickness absence, contracts of employment often
provide for more onerous notification requirements, such as requiring notification by
a certain time on the first day of absence.

During the first 7 days of absence notification will typically be a self-certification
form, because employers have no statutory right to request a doctor’s certificate
during this period. Thereafter the evidence will typically be a doctor’s certificate, or
such other evidence as the employer may reasonably request.

Hope this helps.

Ed