PDA

View Full Version : Been prescribed amoxicillin...help

GirlAfraid23
22-04-13, 11:37
I have throat/ear and sinus issues.
Been to the docs and been prescribed amoxicillin, she didnt specify what I had wrong.
I am now worried I'm taking them unneccessarily. If you do take them unneccessarily can you make yourself ill?
I hate taking meds at the best of times.
They've prescribed 500mg instead of the more common 250mg. I don't know why?

loopyloulou
22-04-13, 11:49
Hi, sorry you're not well and believe me I worry about everything health wise too. I'm obviously not a Dr but Amoxicillin is from the Penicillin family and a 'broard' antibiotic used for loads of different things and harmless. It's so annoying when Dr's don't explain things clearly...

Ella13
22-04-13, 11:54
Hiya I used to get a lot of sinus infections, I was always prescribed amoxicillin, sometimes they worked sometimes they didnt it depends on if yours is bacterial or viral because they only work on bacterial infections. I dont think Doctors can 100% tell which one it is but It won't do you any harm to take them, and for them to prescribe a higher amount it may work better if it is bacterial! I wouldn't worry either way x

Bonnibelle
22-04-13, 12:28
If your GP has prescribed 500mg then you obviously have an infection that needs a good wack with antibiotics. Sinusitis, chest infections... they always require a stronger course. I have had 2 lots of 500mg this year, they won't harm you, just make sure you take the whole course.

If you know why you went to your GP, if you have a cold, pain, cough... then it is likely something that now requires anti bs because it has become a bacterial infection. f you want to know then give them a call, the receptionist can tell you what is on your notes from your appointment.

xJust_Sarahx
22-04-13, 14:28
Hi
i was not that long ago prescribed with this as you will see by a post i made about it, i was worried about taking them but i had no side effects and i also had the same amount to take 3 times a day, your far better taking them and then it will clear up your problem. I had to take them for a gum infection, the stronger then the less amount of time you take them anyway x