PDA

View Full Version : Having a very bad evening-worried of throat cancer

reddevil
22-09-06, 18:55
Hi,

I have just been on the web looking for "can anxiety cause a sore throat".

I can not find anything on anxiety and sore throat but several websites say if a sore throat lasts more than 2 weeks it could be something serious like throat cancer.

I have been to the doctor twice, which he has had a look and has given me antibiotics (penicillin) twice on seeing him.

This has got me in such a state as my antibiotics are not working and it's my second course of them.

I have had enough, I'm not sure if I can cope anymore of this worry.

The doctor also said that they referr people for further investgation after 8 weeks, which I think has not helped my anxiety at all.

CAN ANXIETY CAUSE THE THROAT TO BE RED as doctor said both times that it is red, that's what is worrying me.

I have to have a sweet in mouth to stop the soreness.

Just can not stop crying again...!

It does not hurt when a swallow at all, just feels sore throughout the day.
Red

rosebud
22-09-06, 20:05
Hi Red

Don't get youself so worked up its not worth it. I have had sore throats last for longer than 2 weeks. You haven't got throat cancer, the doctor would do something more if he thought that. Besides a sore throat on its own would not be cancer. I know how you feel getting yourself worked up about it. I am just the same always scared of something. Anxiety's a bitch. Take care of yourself.

Traceyxxx

nomorepanic
22-09-06, 20:12
I don't think it is anxiety causing it as such. It is probably a rare throat infection like I had and it needed specific anti-biotics to cure it. I looked my infection up on google and it named one specific antibitoic that was needed to help as others didn't have the same effect. This could be the case with you.

I still have a sore throat now - had it well over 6 weeks and it won't shift but unless I go back to docs then I am trying to ignore it.

Can't you ask them to do a throat swab and send that off for analysis?

That may reassure you.

By sucking sweets you are just keeping the throat lubricated so that may be why it helps. What sweets are they may I ask?

Nicola

reddevil
22-09-06, 20:40
Hi,

Regarding the sweets, it's anything like tunes, lockets, polo mints or fruit gums etc.

Red

nomorepanic
22-09-06, 21:03
Ok I was just wondering if they were throat sweets or not that was all.

Certainly ask doc for a throat swab as it is causing you great distress.

Nicola

Jem27
22-09-06, 21:43
I very much doubt its cancer. A sore throat can last weeks and weeks, if its red then its inflammed and/or infected so anti bs should help.

I have had sore throats alot, nothing to do with anxiety and no anxiety wouldn't make your throat red.

If it were cancer the dr would know, he would refer you now not in 8 weeks.

(((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))

j-mo
22-09-06, 23:00
Hi Red, just wondered whether you got the doctor to check your thyroid gland or glands under your ears. Do they feel swollen? The reason I say this is that throughout my panic attack/anxiety/depression at its height I have severe pain in my throat caused by my thyroid gland producing too much cortisol (seen consultant three times over this as I didn't believe them either) and it does actually work now - i.e. when I'm really stressed and start hyperventilating my throat swells, I gag and I get breathless really easily. The results from this are that I have severe pain in my throat. Hope this helps - may be worth talking this through with your doctor. My mum had throat cancer twenty years ago (still very much alive, well and kicking, but the syptoms were very different).
I, also get major panics thinking I'm going to die of such and such and know how debilitating this can be. Also remember that if you are in a place/house/store with air conditioning this brings the condition on as it dries the sinuses and causes the throat to constrict - so try and put all this together and see if there is some similarities?
Hope I'm of some use
Julie x

matilda
23-09-06, 11:33
You may need erithromicin which is an anti especially for ear, nose and throat infections, but again Red it could br a virus!!!

Take care Love Matilda

Angieb17
23-09-06, 12:47
Hi

This is just a long shot, do you drink a lot of very hot drinks, I used to drink a lot of hot tea and found that i had burnt my mouth and throat on numerous occasions and when I finally stopped drinking it as hot (AS i had read that drinking hot drinks is bad for the osephagus) it cleared up and wasn't sore any more.

I hope it feels better soon.
Take care
Angie X

reddevil
23-09-06, 14:13
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi Red, just wondered whether you got the doctor to check your thyroid gland or glands under your ears. Do they feel swollen? The reason I say this is that throughout my panic attack/anxiety/depression at its height I have severe pain in my throat caused by my thyroid gland producing too much cortisol (seen consultant three times over this as I didn't believe them either) and it does actually work now - i.e. when I'm really stressed and start hyperventilating my throat swells, I gag and I get breathless really easily. The results from this are that I have severe pain in my throat. Hope this helps - may be worth talking this through with your doctor. My mum had throat cancer twenty years ago (still very much alive, well and kicking, but the syptoms were very different).
I, also get major panics thinking I'm going to die of such and such and know how debilitating this can be. Also remember that if you are in a place/house/store with air conditioning this brings the condition on as it dries the sinuses and causes the throat to constrict - so try and put all this together and see if there is some similarities?
Hope I'm of some use
Julie x

<div align="right">Originally posted by j-mo - 23 September 2006 : 00:00:04</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Hi,

Yea, he checked my glands in the kneck and said they were ok.

He said throat was red and then I stressed in front of him etc.

Red

Lynnann
23-09-06, 14:23
Hi Red,

The trouble with the web is sometimes it increases our anxiety rather than relieving it!!

I think the swab is a good idea!! I have also had sore throats that have lasted longer than two weeks, I didn't develop throat cancer!!

Another visit to the GP is probably in order to allieviate your anxiety,

In the meantime try to calm yourself, continue with the sweets as they seem to help and try to stay away from google!

Thinking of you

Hugs to you

Lynnann

reddevil
23-09-06, 15:53
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi Red,

The trouble with the web is sometimes it increases our anxiety rather than relieving it!!

I think the swab is a good idea!! I have also had sore throats that have lasted longer than two weeks, I didn't develop throat cancer!!

Another visit to the GP is probably in order to allieviate your anxiety,

In the meantime try to calm yourself, continue with the sweets as they seem to help and try to stay away from google!

Thinking of you

Hugs to you

Lynnann

<div align="right">Originally posted by Lynnann - 23 September 2006 : 15:23:34</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Hi,

What would swab results predict, infection?

Red

nomorepanic
23-09-06, 18:51
My swab showed that I had a very rare throat infection so they could treat it appropriately.

Nicola

Lynnann
23-09-06, 19:26
Hi Red,

A swab would show any type of infection that you might have. worth a try in case you have an infection that needs a specific antibiotic! Really don't think it is throat cancer but at least the visit to the doctor should reassure you

hugs to you

Lynnann

jackie
23-09-06, 20:01
it is one of my mates most frequent symptoms and it is anxiety related without a doubt

jackie

reddevil
24-09-06, 12:15
Is it true if it was throat cancer I would have more than a sore throat/

Lisa_7
24-09-06, 12:56
Hi Red,
My friend had throat cancer and it is not just having a sore throat you are not from what you say displaying the same symptoms. Try to stay away from looking at the net as it can increase your anxieties. I often get a sore throat but when you stop worrying about it, it might go away on it's own.

Hope yr feeling better soon

Lisa

reddevil
26-09-06, 12:47
Hi all,

(sticking to the one thread)

Over the past two days, I have also been experiancing a sickness feeling, which comes and goes throughout the day.

This has started to concearn me along with the throat but I have noticed, when the sickness feeling arrises, I concentrate on it, which eases my throat.

Trouble is with me, I don't know whats anxiety and what is not..!

Red