PDA

View Full Version : Out of date egg?

Em.ma
22-04-13, 18:32
Dad has made me a poached egg as part of my dinner. I've ate it but the date was 12th April I've just found out :( now what?

steveo
22-04-13, 18:33
Not alot.

It's cooked.

Worse situation is sick or upset tummy.

xtremx
22-04-13, 18:36
Agree with steveo

Also the dates on eggs are for a guide only and are normal ok for a while.. And you would know it was off as it hit the pan..

Em.ma
22-04-13, 18:48
Dad also said it looked and smelt fine.
What about salmonella thigh? It was kept in fridge

---------- Post added at 18:41 ---------- Previous post was at 18:40 ----------

Also it was very runny

---------- Post added at 18:48 ---------- Previous post was at 18:41 ----------

I Also had a fillet of salmon with it and I'm not sure how to tell whether it was done or not!?
It was pink and slightly flaky in oven for about 20 mins.

Annie0904
22-04-13, 18:56
You would have known if the egg was off. The date is only a guideline, at one time they didn't have dates on. If the salmon was cooked for 20 mins it will be fine.

Em.ma
22-04-13, 18:59
Thanks.
Dad reassured me saying I wouldn't feed it to you if I thought it would cause harm .

bibliophilic
22-04-13, 19:17
My mom always said that eggs are good for a few weeks after their sell-by date. I've opened rotten eggs before and you can definitely tell when they're off. If the egg was cooked thoroughly, should be no issues. Don't think about it too much or you'll get a tummyache. ;) xox

Em.ma
22-04-13, 19:29
Thanks.
Hmm it was very very runny? Would that make a difference, ?

Ingenious
22-04-13, 19:35
I've often eaten eggs past their use by date with no ill effects and my mum always said the dates were rubbish anyway because in the "old days" you would know if they were off pretty easily by the look/smell.

As for the salmon, 20 mins is easily long enough. All the salmon I've ever cooked was 20 mins at 180C but I've also had salmon raw before - remember in a sushi bar you can get LOTS of raw fish and it doesn't kill anyone, so 20 mins is a long time in the great scheme of things :)

Em.ma
22-04-13, 22:23
Hiya even ten days out of date? And cooked very very runny?

So scared of salmonella still would I really of known by the taste? Didn't see it being cooked or before cooking. I feel I'll now :(

---------- Post added at 22:23 ---------- Previous post was at 22:21 ----------

It wasn't cooked thoroughly and I'm nearly googling can't sleep

xtremx
22-04-13, 22:53
Hi Em.ma

Salmonella I don't think so nearly every egg sold now is pasteurized and that process eliminates Salmonella from eggs.. So I would not think about that.

You are no feeling ill because you are focusing on feeling ill.

My advice stop and think about what people have told you and forget about it watch a film or put some music on and feel good...

As I have said and nearly everyone else use by dates on eggs are only a guide, Egg was runny well it had still been cooked also like it has been said if the egg was off you would know about it as soon as that egg was crack.

Edie
22-04-13, 23:14
Salmonella has been virtually eliminated in British eggs anyway. If an egg is off, it smells vile. There is no way your dad could have cooked it if it were off, the smell would have been overwhelming. They get runny when they are not fresh, but your egg can't have been off without you knowing about it.

Em.ma
23-04-13, 06:21
Thanks guys haha,
Looks like I'm still alive and well this morning !
What was all that worrying about.
Just goes to show about the sell by dates though is it safety to cover their backs or to make people go out and buy more when not needed?