PDA

View Full Version : Diazepam to help with starting ssri?

Bryan86
23-04-13, 16:58
Does anyone here have any experience with taking Valium/diazepam/xanax etc. to deal with the heightened anxiety & side effects of beginning an ssri?

My doctor has suggested I take 2 x 5mg, at either end of the day to help with the very high anxiety and panic attacks starting citalopram has brought on. I'm just worried at this point when my mental state feels so fragile that another chemical in the mix could have an ill effect or push me over the edge. I am barely holding it together at this point so feeling worse isn't an option.

Any advice/experiences appreciated.

Thanks

AnxiousBaker
23-04-13, 17:03
Its fairly common to be given some diazepam at the start of a course of antidepressants.
The diazepam wont give you side effects like ssri`s can, it will help you to feel calm and prevent you from having a panic attack.
Nothing to worry about.

kittikat
23-04-13, 17:06
Diazepam is sometimes prescribed to help with SE's of anti d's and can be very effective if used as prescribed. Hopefully it will just take the edge off the heightened anxiety for you. Diazepam is a fairly gentle drug but if you are worried try splitting the 5mg in half to start with and see how you feel on that. I am sure it will help you to manage a little better. It works well for me. Good luck.

Kitti :)

Bryan86
23-04-13, 21:38
Thank you both for your help. I really appreciate it.

clio51
23-04-13, 22:02
Hi Bryan,

Been reading your story, what your going through is normal.

I was very anxious when I was at the start of my experience, to the point I couldn't eat,sleep, was dry heaving even water made me feel sick but had to take small amounts all day as not to dehydrate. Mine went on for months nightmare.

I used to take diazepam, 2mg x 3 daily they don't give you any effects just calm you, they take about 20 mins or so to work.

Like kitti said if you arnt that bad anxious wise then half them, if you don't feel that's not enough then next dose take the 5mg.

Best of luck xx

Bryan86
24-04-13, 19:18
Thanks for your reply Clio. Had plenty opportunities to take them today with bad anxiety but I couldn't bring myself to take it for fear it would make me worse. Seems so stupid in retrospect

Liviguy
25-04-13, 12:31
Hi Bryan,

My experience of Diazepam is one of calmness and relaxation. Although I have only ever taken 4 tablets in my life, they have never increased my anxiety, quite the opposite.

Asha1979
26-04-13, 17:38
Hey yeah I'm on xanax until my dosage increase kicks in. Dont worry about adding them into the mix, xanax or valium as they will settle your anxiety until the ssri starts to take effect.

Bryan86
26-04-13, 18:51
Thanks guys, appreciate the replies. :)