PDA

View Full Version : Excessive thirst, obsessed.

Modestaustin811
23-04-13, 23:01
I've posted about this many times, and I am sorry, but I'm obsessed over this.

Lately I've been getting a dry mouth and this feeling like I can't stop drinking water. The feeling has left before, it even left for a month, but now its back and has been for the last week.

There have been times when I didn't notice it, but they are few and far in between. I've been tracking how much water i've been drinking and I'm scared I'm going to overload my body and water intoxicate myself. I know this all has to be down to anxiety, for a while I thought it might be diabetes insipidus but my urine is concentrated in the morning, and the only reason I'm using the bathroom so much is because I'm drinking a lot quickly.

I know it has to be psychogenic, but I can't stop obsessing over it, and sometimes the thirst feels so real, I've been tested for actual diabetes and its not that either.

How do I let go of this fear? I've let go of it before, i just can't stop thinking about it and I get depressed.

Modestaustin811
24-04-13, 03:14
:( the silence is all the proof I need. Something is seriously wrong..

Lilharry
24-04-13, 04:06
What does your doctor say? If they are not worried about anything physical then it is probably anxiety related. I would suggest getting some counseling for it. There are lots of reasons why people don't get around to answering threads, so don't jump to conclusions about whether your condition is serious or not. It doesn't sound serious, but you need to get a proper diagnosis from your doctor.

cattia
24-04-13, 07:28
I think you would have to drink an awful, awful lot of water for it to be dangerous. Drinking lots of water is actually very good for you. It's meant to be one of the most important things you can do for your health. It's very possible that your dry mouth is an anxiety related issue, and the feeling of having to drink to relieve it could very well be an OCD type trait. Would it help if you tried to change your drinking patterns to maybe drinking some water every half hour so that you're drinking at set times rather than in response to the thirst? That way you're not feeding the sensation all the time and it may help to break the cycle.

almamatters
24-04-13, 19:21

Lately I've been getting a dry mouth and this feeling like I can't stop drinking water. The feeling has left before, it even left for a month, but now its back and has been for the last week.

There have been times when I didn't notice it, but they are few and far in between. I've been tracking how much water i've been drinking and I'm scared I'm going to overload my body and water intoxicate myself. I know this all has to be down to anxiety, for a while I thought it might be diabetes insipidus but my urine is concentrated in the morning, and the only reason I'm using the bathroom so much is because I'm drinking a lot quickly.

I know it has to be psychogenic, but I can't stop obsessing over it, and sometimes the thirst feels so real, I've been tested for actual diabetes and its not that either.

How do I let go of this fear? I've let go of it before, i just can't stop thinking about it and I get depressed.

Hi don't know if this helps, but I had this problem last year for a few months. I was tested 4 times for diabetes and once for diabetes insipidus, I had tests on kidneys as well. My urine was quite a dark yellow colour . I was drinking at one point nearly a full bottle of dilute orange a day. My mouth was so dry , my tongue felt swollen, I became obsessed with choking and also dying from dehydration, I was also urinating every 15 minutes. I became convinced I was diabetic even though the tests were normal and eventually ended up at A and E where they kept me in overnight and did a fasting blood test to be absolutely sure I did not have diabetes. I did not have it and eventually had to believe that I was suffering at the time from severe anxiety ( just as my GP had told me from the start). I found that as soon as I started worrying and obsessing about this symptom it went away on it's own. If you have had all the relevant tests and your GP is not concerned then I would try and distract yourself and forget it. I know it is not easy, it is a horrible thing to suffer from.
Chewing gum and sweets also helped me. :)

Jasehaber20
08-04-18, 20:47

Are you still going through this? I just started experiencing this recently.