PDA

View Full Version : weight gain advice

gregcool
24-04-13, 09:35
Hi guys..iv been on olanzapine for a few days now for Anxiety and to help my sleep..i keep hearing you gain weight on them..ahrrrr...is the weight gain because it makes you eat more ? Or because it just puts on the weight..also how long do you have to be on this to be fully efective...im taking 5mg at night and slept well last night..but in the mornings i feel a bit heavy and unsocialbal...is this norm..is the weight gain on the higher dose..any positive info would be good..thanks

nicola1980
24-04-13, 09:48
Hi Greg, olanzapine can increase your appetite hence you put weight on, Im on 5mg aswell but haven't put any weight on but do watch what i eat as i do sometimes get the munchies! I think the weight gain is more of an issue on higher doses x x

gregcool
24-04-13, 10:01
Thanks Nicola..how are you finding it at 5mg..do u take at night or day....dose it get better after a time of being on it..thank
Greg

nicola1980
24-04-13, 12:56
Hi i take 2.5mg in the morning and 2.5mg at night, i noticed an instant relief from my panic near enough overnight but it does take a while to get in your system x x

dazzadoo123
25-04-13, 19:31
hi nicole do you take it in combination with anything else ? as im on mirtazapine aswell as 5mg olanzapine ...

Hi i take 2.5mg in the morning and 2.5mg at night, i noticed an instant relief from my panic near enough overnight but it does take a while to get in your system x x

nicola1980
26-04-13, 01:11
hi nicole do you take it in combination with anything else ? as im on mirtazapine aswell as 5mg olanzapine ...

Hi i take it alongside venlafaxine, was prescribed the olanzapine when my panic was unbearable and i was literally bedridden with it x x

tattoogirl
26-04-13, 09:20
Ive just started taking it too and noticed that ive had the munchies, and before i know it the sweets are gone! lol so ill have to try and limit it, im on 2.5mg twice a day and so far they are helping which is great

gregcool
03-05-13, 19:58
Yep.iv def got the munches since iv been on these..im just not feeling full..i hope this calms down

Eek
08-05-13, 09:32
when I was on 10mg a day (because of the other med I'm taking which increases the amount of olanzapine in your blood stream it was more like 20mg) I put on a huge amount of weight I was always hungry and never felt full. once I got down to lower doses 5mg (10mg with my other med) and 2.5mg (5mg with my other med) I found it much easier and lost 30 kilos in 10 months and still haven't put it back on. I did find I had to resist the urge to eat though and had to make sure I exercised every day.

gregcool
08-05-13, 10:35
Yep i must say i have felt hungry more often...is it just that you get hungry and eat, that gives you the weight gain.or is it you put on weight just being on the tablets..???
My doctor is saying they want to bring me off olanzapine becaue it can cause weight gain and diabiteis...

rooby
23-08-13, 13:52
Hi to all

I have been on this med for about a year at 2.5mg but am supposed to be taking 5mg, my question is whether the weight gain is dose related ? I haven't put any weight on yet (mind you I've taken up running) and I could do with taking the higher dose as I haven't quite managed the anxiety yet - I am taking it along with lamictal as a mood stabiliser and for depression and anxiety.

melbee
03-10-13, 23:27
I was on this medication for about a week and gained 10 pounds because of it. I am a naturally slim girl (was about 120 pounds and 5'3 bedore taking those) and I gained 10 pounds in a week with those. I stopped them, Lost about 6 pounds and then got back in shape.

It made me always hungry, especially for sweets.