PDA

View Full Version : Hello NoMorePanic and Hello Fluoxetine!

RAG
24-04-13, 12:52
Hello, this is my first post. And today is my first day of taking Fluoxetine 20mg. I've never put anything on a forum before, so this is new to me! As is anxiety, depression ... and now Fluoxetine too.
My story starts in August 2012 (although the build up was already happening before, after becoming self employed and starting a business) when I lost my Uncle to cancer. I watched him fade away in a hospital bed over the course of 4/5 weeks and was privileged to be sat right next to him when he actually past away. For me, that was the final piece on my 'buckeroo' and resulted in a breakdown in December 2012. My doctor put me on Citalopram which I took for 2 weeks and in the 3rd week I came off it due to bad side effects. Since then I've suffered with anxiety and on/off depression, although my depression has become worse over the last few weeks. I've been visiting a psycho therapist since November, a truly wonderfully talented man! Every time I visit (usually once a week) I refer to it as 'being in the womb' however it recently become apparent that therapy alone isn't working. So today (24th April 2013) I've started taking Fluoxetine. I'm not sure if it will work for me or where this new part of my journey will take me, but anything is worth a try!
All positive comments are welcome (be gentle with me) and I will keep anyone who's interested updated as to where my journey takes me :D

Bekzie
24-04-13, 12:56
Hi Rag :welcome:

You have been through a rough time with your uncle, I'm sorry to hear that.
You are taking steps in the right direction with the therapy and now medication, this will pass and you will get better. I'm sure the medication will work brilliantly, good luck :)

RAG
24-04-13, 13:09
Thank you for your positive comment Bekzie! Very kind of you :)
Hopefully this will work and I will feel more relaxed and positive in time, I'll keep you posted!

Bekzie
24-04-13, 13:17
Your welcome Rag :)
This site is excellent, you never feel alone even at your lowest times. I hope it helps you as much as it has helped me!

Rockabelle
24-04-13, 21:56
Welcome fellow newcomer/fluoxetine taker xxx

RAG
24-04-13, 22:54
Hello Rockabelle :) you've just started taking Fluoxetine too?

sarahsarah
24-04-13, 23:00
Welcome, Rag.

I am sorry to hear about your troubles but you are certainly among friends here xxx

RAG
24-04-13, 23:34
Thank you SarahSarah, very kind words :) also, I have to say, I love your 'Dr Google' advise!

kittikat
24-04-13, 23:56
Hello & :welcome:

Sorry to hear you have had such a tough time. I had a breakdown in November 2011, not a good experience to say the least, and I am still getting over it now with the help of meds and CBT therapy.

I hope you find this site as supportive and friendly as I have, it has been a lifeline for me and I trust it will be the same for you. I have made some great friends here.

Wishing you all the best with your meds and your ongoing recovery. Kitti :)

sarahsarah
25-04-13, 00:00
You're welcome! Following my own advice there isn't always that easy but I will get there one day xx

ladybug51
25-04-13, 00:31
Hallo to you RAG, I am in my 21st day of taking fluoxetine. Sorry to hear of your trials, I wish you well. I am also new to all this. There seems to be a lot of good info on this site. best wishesxx:hugs:

RAG
25-04-13, 14:07
Hello KittiKat, thank you for your kind comment :)
Metal heath issues can be a scary place, especially when you've never experienced them before! A massive help for me is knowing I'm not on my own with this (even though at times it feels that way) millions of people that walk this earth experience metal health problems at some point in their life, which in a strange way is quite comforting. Personally, I think the biggest problem with metal health issues is that we don't talk about it enough. If it was spoken about more, it would be understood more!

---------- Post added at 14:07 ---------- Previous post was at 14:05 ----------

Hello LadyBug51, thanks for your kind words!:)
How is your 21st day going?

mandshere2000
25-04-13, 14:39
Hi Rag
:welcome:sending:hugs:your way, sorry to hear its been tough for
you, I've been on Prozac( fluoxetine on/off for 20 years....have tried others
but always ended up back on it and this time been on it since 2004, hope it
works for you so keep at it....if it gets tough you can always come on here
people are always willing to chat and help if they can
Manda

RAG
25-04-13, 15:09
Hello Mandshere2000, thank you for you comment :) All support is most welcome! Today is my 2nd day of Fluoxetine 20mg so its VERY early days for me. I've heard lots of different opinions about this medication, but decided there is only really one way to find out if it will work for me and thats to try it. So far I've experienced a few head aches, stomach cramps, a little dry mouth and a sensation that makes me feel a little 'buzzy' I take my tablet first thing in the morning so as to not disturb my sleep too much. Any further advice is very welcome :)

kittikat
25-04-13, 15:12
I think the biggest problem with metal health issues is that we don't talk about it enough. If it was spoken about more, it would be understood more!

I couldn't agree more RAG. That is why this site is so helpful, we all share our experiences and offer words of comfort and support here. Keep posting! I hope you are having a good day today :) Kitti

RAG
25-04-13, 18:24
I try to take each day as it comes, today has been a good one :)

kittikat
25-04-13, 18:28
I try to take each day as it comes, today has been a good one

Likewise, sometimes I think it's the only way forward...ruminating and worrying about what tomorrow may bring is definitley not good for anxiety!

Anyway, great to hear you had a good day :yesyes:

RAG
25-04-13, 19:45
If I think about a possible event or situation of tomorrow, I find sometimes the simple answer of ''I don't know'' works for me. Instead of ''this bad thing will happen'' or ''that negative outcome will happen''

ladybug51
25-04-13, 21:34
Hallo RAG,
22nd day gone.
Been to see GP, had a really good chat.
Decision is to stay on Meds for now with poss increase in dose later.
Am riding out side effects, which GP promises will subside SOON.:shrug:
Hope things are OK for you. I like the simplicity and honesty of saying "I don't know" about coming events. Good One.:hugs:

RAG
25-04-13, 23:14
It's a simply and honest saying, that sometimes helps me relax about situation. And its ok to ''not know''
My 2nd day has been ok thanks, its VERY early days for me still so I'm trying to remain optimistic and realistic at the same time.
Keep in touch LadyBug ... I'm happy to support ... I might need the favour returning in the future.
Take care :)

RAG
26-04-13, 18:59
Day 3 -
I think I had a bad dream, I woke up with some anxiety but Rescue Remedy seemed to help ease it. After a few hours I was ok. Felt great this afternoon! However I'm feeling a little low this evening, hopefully tomorrow will be more of an up day rather then a wobbly day :)

RAG
27-04-13, 16:57
Day 4 -
Anxiety, depression, chills, abdominal cramps .. then calm .. then it starts again. Something tells me the side affects have started! Thank god for Rescue Remedy and a special friend who has been through this. Every tablet is a step closer to feeling better. Hoping for a restful evening and a better day tomorrow :unsure:

jayjoe18
27-04-13, 17:17
Hi Rag & welcome to the forum!
Hope you find it useful and good luck with the meds, really hope they work out for you :)

RAG
27-04-13, 17:24
Many thanks Jasmin :)
This is a great website, will some truly supportive people! Fingers crossed my meds will help :)

hopey
27-04-13, 19:31
how has your day been today? hopey

RAG
27-04-13, 22:59
Hopey, thanks for asking :)
check out my post ''Day 4'' ... but in a nut shell its been very up and down. The side affects have kicked in! However, this also means the medications is getting in my system. Each tablet is another step closer :)
Again, thank you for asking

RAG
28-04-13, 21:20
Day 5 -
Chills and felt cold all day, a little anxiety this morning but mainly just felt very low all day. Totally disconnected from everyone and everything. Side affects or just a bad day? I know one thing for sure, I'm fed up of being a prisoner to anxiety and depression! Hopefully Fluoxetine is my key out. Come on, give me a break please.

RAG
29-04-13, 23:36
Day 6 -
anxiety anxiety anxiety ... and chills ... with some more anxiety! :scared15:

hopey
30-04-13, 17:14
Hi rag. Hope you will soon level out. I was on 20mg fluo then gp upped it
to 40mg and it is as if I am just starting over again. We will get there I keep telling myself and you will too. blessings hopey

RAG
30-04-13, 17:25
Day 7 -
!!!SERIOUS!!! anxiety today (especially in the morning) felt cold, was nearly sick a few times, haven't eaten much either. I've been on beta blockers for a while, which usually help, but right now there not taking the edge off. Although I am aware I'm battling side affects of Fluoxetine. I've spent the day living on Rescue Remedy! I'm going to see a friend tonight, who also suffers and is a great support to me.

RAG
01-05-13, 20:31
Day 8 -
woke up, fine. 10 mins later, anxiety. The anxiety lasted about 2 hours, but I made myself get on with the day! A couple of wobbles throughout the day, chills on and off and this afternoon lots of stomach cramps with an upset tummy :( However, less anxiety then yesterday and i haven't felt depressed today either :)

RAG
02-05-13, 23:14
Day 9 -
ENOUGH!! thats it for me, no more. I've gone from having anxiety on and off with depression on and off to a complete mind mess! I've spent the last week a nervous reck who won't leave his bedroom. I was the same after trying Citalopram. My body works much better with a holistic approach and therapy. Although I do find Beta Blockers help me.
Good bye Fluoxetine