PDA

View Full Version : Please help! So anxious about HIV.

ecila92
24-04-13, 15:27
I know this is so ridiculous but I just cant relax!

My health anxiety has been triggered and I'm now scared I've got HIV which I know sounds irrational.

I had a blood test to check iron levels a month or so ago and the nurse wasn't wearing any gloves and didn't clean my arm and I'm so scared that it could have transmitted that way, also a friend of mine is at risk of it and I'm worried from spending time with her I could have caught it.

I know its hard to catch and everything but I've got swollen lymph nodes, really large ones around my neck and throat, have had this since last year and I always feel run down and tired.

I'm going to the doctors next week but what exactly should I say without sounding absolutely mental?

I know the chances are slim but I always feel so groggy and the only thing I can think of is HIV, I've been diagnosed with coeliac disease recently which makes you feel tired and stuff but I just cant use that as an excuse as to why I've always got large lymph nodes.

Please help put my mind at ease, I'm going mad.

Thanks.

Jamesk
24-04-13, 16:46
I drove myself mad for months with this fear after a barber nicked my neck with a razor.

You have zero chance of having caught it from your blood test - the virus lives for practically no time outside the human body.

Also the chances of catching it from your friend (if they had HIV which you have no reason to believe that they have) would be non-existant unless you were engaged in a high risk activity like sharing a needle with them.

Please don't waste time and effort worrying about this like I did.

ecila92
25-04-13, 02:03
It was the first ever worry I had last year that became an obsession that's when my health anxiety started. I had three blood tests to confirm I didn't have it and now the worry is back and that's why I'm worrying again because I was in a dark place back then. Thankyou for replying and understanding, its a horrible feeling this.