PDA

View Full Version : IBS or something more serious?

xCryonic
25-04-13, 06:54
Hello again.

I've had some problems with my bowel movement for a week or more.

- I feel a bit bloated but it tends to come and go

- I think I also have constipation and therefore only small amounts of stool on every bowel movement

- I have lost weight almost 1kg in a week or two (I was 76,4kg~ a few
weeks ago, and now I'm 75,5kg~, though I usually check my weight before
going to bed, this morning I checked my weight after bowel movement)

I don't eat breakfast, I only eat dinner and maybe a bread or something before I go to sleep : Weight = 75kg~
I used to eat dinner 2 times when I still went to school, 1st dinner at school, and 2nd dinner at home. : Weight = 83kg~

- Sometimes I have this mild "twisting" pain in my tummy and after that I pretty much have to run to toilet (feels like diarrhea)

- Some nausea, not that much that I would throw up, and I think my anxiety contributes to this for worrying too much about everything

Is this just IBS or something more serious I should be afraid of? :weep:

PS.
I hate anxiety :glare:

Lilharry
25-04-13, 07:56
Have you been to your doctor? They're the only ones who can diagnose you. It doesn't sound serious to me, but you should get checked out by a professional to put your mind at ease.

xCryonic
25-04-13, 08:28
Have you been to your doctor? They're the only ones who can diagnose you. It doesn't sound serious to me, but you should get checked out by a professional to put your mind at ease.

Thanks for replying. I know it doesn't sound really life threatening or anything serious, but it keeps me worrying every time I have problems with my bowel movement.

Well, I went to doctor when I started at IT -school, he diagnosed that my stomach was upset because of stress and that I have lactose intolerance, I was diagnosed to have Panic Disorder years ago, but only got the medication for it when I went to doctors office for my last autumn, he gave me prescription for Propanolol 10mg's. I have been taking those for 5-6 months now, I have constipation and other problems with my stomach every now and then. Sometimes it settles for a fairly long time but they tend to come back, especially if I get worried about something.

My stomach is really sensitive to stress, I also have lactose-intolerance and therefore have non-lactose diet (no blood tests or anything was taken, for doctor, he said that it was pretty obvious.), so does that mean that I have IBS?

bibliophilic
25-04-13, 16:34
Hey! Our bodies do strange things. I started having stomach problems a few months ago and now I'm sensitive to lactose even though I wasn't before. Annoying and bizarre!

I agree that you should go to a doctor, and that it doesn't sound serious to me. For comparison, I've been having horrible bloating (even after drinking water), sharp pains all over (started next to my bellybutton, now they'll appear anywhere), constipation and then diarrhea, and for the past few days I've had raw pain and nausea. :wacko: It's annoying but doctors don't seem concerned; it's either IBS or just me being anxious. I did have a scope down which found gastritis in the cell walls, so that could play a part.

Have you tried chamomile tea? I love it because it helps with my stomach AND it calms me down a bit. I get a lot of anxiety and I'm under so much stress lately--among other things, I'm losing my health insurance in a few weeks so of course my body is taking it personally! The tea helps and I like to put a little honey in it.

Anyways..I think you'll be okay. I don't think it's permanent and I think that seeing a doctor would be good so that you can be reassured and maybe get medications to help with your symptoms. :hugs:

xCryonic
25-04-13, 17:56
Thank you!

I will definitely try the chamomile tea, actually, I have been feeling better for the past 12~ hours or so, I started eating the "Activia" yogurt which has some fiber in it and it seems to be helping, but on the other hand. It could be just me thinking that this works and it has a placebo effect which doesn't really matter as long as it makes me feel better :D

When reading about your symptoms I consider myself lucky. A few months back I couldn't eat almost anything either, I would feel nauseous and bloated after meal. I don't think I need to consult a doctor on this matter, I think I can calm myself down, and I can always talk to my parents and ask what they think, talking about my problems always tends to calm me down.

(like I had a fear for high BP, but turns out that every time we tried to measure it, I started panicking and BP spiked.)

The doctor also prescribed some Somac 20mg(?) anti-reflux medicine for me because I also had developing gastritis because of the stress, I had pressure/burning in my abdomen and felt uncomfortable all the time, I had to take those pills for one whole month. It did surely help.

Thanks again for making me feel better and reminding me that I'm not the only one with these kind of symptoms or with anxiety overall, I hope you too will feel better in future. After all, it's only in our heads, well, mostly! :hugs:

bibliophilic
25-04-13, 18:10
So glad you're feeling a bit better! Actually, I know people who have had messed up gastro systems and the Activia did help them. I have some Danactive probiotic shots in the fridge, but I've been eating Yoplait Simplait instead. ;)

Maybe you're just now really healing from the gastritis? I can speak from experience that it causes all kinds of problems! I think that Somac is Protonix here in the US, which is a pretty good med. If you have any other flares of symptoms, you might want to ask your doctor for Carafate. It's a liquid that coats your tummy and makes the problems go away! It's like Pepto Bismol except specifically for gastritis and ulcers. But I think you'll be on the mend now and not need it. :D

Anyways, if you ever need to talk about your stomach problems or anxiety, please feel free to contact me! I have so much experience these days! Haha. Be well! :hugs: