PDA

View Full Version : Emotional after coming off Citalopram

Rachy-Rach
25-04-13, 17:05
I stopped taking citalopram more than two months ago now and I'm actually doing ok anxiety wise especially considering all the stuff I have going on in my life right now.

However, I have noticed that I am incredibly tearful. I'm crying at least a couple of times a day and often more - it's exhausting! And at things that I really don't need to be upset about.

A member of staff that I work with complained about me to my manager. My manager told me about it but also said that I had done nothing wrong and had followed procedure correctly. But right away I was in tears in her office, in my car after work, at home the next morning... really I should have just been mad - what were all the tears about?

Then today I found out that a neighbour sadly passed away yesterday. His daughter told me and I was crying more than her! I have tears in my eyes right now just thinking about it and after she left I properly sobbed my little heart out!

Just watching a video on youtube about a guy coming out to his family brought tears to my eyes.

What's happening to me?

Ingenious
26-04-13, 03:38
In general there's absolutely nothing wrong with crying and letting emotions out. It could be a simple case that now you're not on medication your emotions are not numbed and this is totally normal. All the examples you've given are perfectly reasonable triggers for crying if you are normally an emotional person :)

However if you feel it's not right, and really only you will know that, I'd suggest seeing your GP. It could well be a sign that things are not quite right, or an early warning, but I wouldn't assume the worst. You might also just be going through an emotional phase, it happens to all of us, and is not something be worried about.

I remember when I came off medication I had a few months which were emotional because suddenly reality was right there and not dumbed down in cotton wool by the tablets :)

PinkRoxy
29-04-13, 09:01
My emotions were never numbed being on citalopram. But I came off it because it was giving me horrible tummy pains. I just feel down and think negative and if someone tells me off about it then I cry.

But I start fluoxetine tomorrow. I think it can be a normal thing or it could be your hormones.

I think the citalopram more likely just lifted my mood and helped me cope with things more so than keep the tears away.